PDA

View Full Version : help-- lost my adult discus

LindaM
08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Should I treat the tank with another, I have two more discus , I feel they are not as aggressive in eating but are eating. still swimming around in front. Of course, my favorite died.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. I got up this morning and found the discus dead, the only thing I noticed was it being a little quiet , sitting more in the back than in front. Condition looked good, solid, good color, always a slow eater, would wait and then pick at the food at the bottom of tank after it sat. no heavy breathing, gills good ok to me.

2. Symptoms
not hiding but not swimming out in the open as much.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
45 gal decorated tank, total 3 discus 2 albino cories, 2 bristlenose , these have been in tank from day 1

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
4 days ago 50 percent water change 85 % RO and 15 % well water, treat with prim and seachem pf neutralizer
I have a large sponge filter, also a moving ball filter, and a large canister filter running in tank

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___89__ i was surprised it was this hot, but I tested with other therometers and that is what i got, original one in tank said 86

- ph __6.8___

- ammonia reading __-_0_

- nitrite reading __-_0_

- nitrate reading __-_.3_

- well water __-__yes very little

- municipal water no__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently had fish for two years. nothing new

aalbina
08-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Tough to say with this information. Did the deceased fish have any bloating in the body or bulging of the eyes? Internal bacterial infection can kill this quickly but you would probably have seen some signs besides lethargy and appetite toward the end. Any symptoms in your other discus?

Adam

LindaM
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Tough to say with this information. Did the deceased fish have any bloating in the body or bulging of the eyes? Internal bacterial infection can kill this quickly but you would probably have seen some signs besides lethargy and appetite toward the end. Any symptoms in your other discus?

Adam
No the discus looked clear eye, nice body, no white poop, I was totally shocked , i had raised it from 2 inches.

Allwin
08-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Chances for the fish to frighten itself and struck hard on the glass wall. Sorry to hear and i definitely understand ur pain!!!

Crunchy
08-03-2013, 02:41 AM
3 discus could it be stress from bullying.

LindaM
08-03-2013, 10:44 AM
he was the male and he was the dominate one. the other was his mate and one other female (she was the only one that was slightly bullied , but holds her own.

troysdiiscus
08-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry for the loss very well could be something spooked him and he may have injuried himself. With three in there could be what happened. Did you notice any signs of that when you pulled him out? If not keep an eye out for the rest, but sounds like its isolated....if you can keep in groups of 6 or more...

strawberryblonde
08-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Linda,

I'm so sorry to hear about your male discus! Sometimes they just die suddenly for no real reason that you can see. Other times it can be a warning sign that somethings going on in the tank, so just be sure to keep a close eye on the two females, ok?

I did want to mention something that I noticed that you are doing in your tank. It probably had nothing to do with the male dying, but it might also make things a bit easier on you in the future. =)

You say that you use mostly RO water and a pH stabilizer. Is there a reason for this? If it's a problem with your well water, then I understand using the RO, but so long as you've tested your well water and there's no problems with it, you can slowly increase the amount of well water and within a couple of weeks they can go to straight well water.

A lot of people hear from LFS owners and on the internet that discus require low pH water and that RO is the way to go. Actually, domestic discus do very well in any pH so long as it's stable. Mine are in very high pH with no problems at all.

For adult discus you can also lower the temps a bit more. I like keeping mine at 82, but anywhere from 82-84 is fine for them. Bacteria flourishes at higher temps, so sometimes that can become a problem.

I hope your remaining discus stay healthy for you, and please keep us informed on them, ok?

LindaM
08-03-2013, 02:30 PM
i have angel fish and others in straight well water and they are having no issues, it is pretty hard, but they seem to be ok, but I also was told to do ro water with well, i know some with city water breed and stuff, I do have a pair of discus with babies now, but they are about 75 to 90 percent ro , I do add ro right with it. More experimenting , used to do 50 /50 well and tap when I was buying ro water, but none have bought a ro unit so i can make my own. I always prime. I think I am more liberal with the ro water since i can make it. Do you think I should go back to 50/50, it sure would be easier. I am waiting the females for sure.

zimmjeff
08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I' don't usually jump in on these but here goes. You said that 4 days ago you did a 50% water change. How much and how often do you usually do them? Sounds like it might not be enough. Sorry you lost a fish. Jeff

LindaM
08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
i do twice a week 50 to 75 % water change . I also have a large canister with uv light, and one large sponge and one of the moving ball filter in the tank , after the fish died I did another 50 % change. because I do have gravel, driftwood, and fake plants in the tanks is one of the reasons i have the two cories in there to find food if the discus don't find it. The other two seem fine still and the water parameters are good, The discus with babies have a 50% water change every day plus I clean the buttom after they eat.

aalbina
08-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I guess I'd have to agree with the trauma thoughts - probably got spooked and crashes into something. I had one that rammed the tank cover and died within 30 minutes - definitely saw the signs if trauma though. I had two - and of course that one was the prettiest one.

Sorry for the loss.

Adam