PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using a Diatom Filter

MonAndrew77
08-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Fish Pals,

OK. One more to build up my posts...... :)

So, back in the day, when I was a mean fish keeper, I used to employ Vortex Diatoms weekly. Used to polish the water awesomely.

I still have one left and I've ordered all the necessary parts to bring it up to snuff. (Great folks, by the way.)

On my 180g tank (which does not yet have the discus introduced) my regular filtration is a Fluval FX-5 running pads and bio-rings and a Fluval 306 running peat moss and pads. (My well water is hard and alkaline.)

So, What's the story on using a diatom with discus? Is this a good idea? Should I pop it on there every week? Are there any risks?

Andrew in Northern Virginia.

yogi
08-02-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't currently have a diatom filter, but they are great filters. If you have one I say go ahead and pop it in once a week like you use to do. There should be no risk in using one.

afriend
08-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Andrew,

Another way to get sparkling clean water is with the use of Purigen. It will also reduce tank maintenance and result in improved water quality by removing dissolved organic compounds.

Paul

korbi_doc
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Andrew...you've stepped into quite a controversy, tho I don' t see the gang posting in yet, lol....I love my diatom & plan on getting another, this one's quite old, like me....lol....many ppl have complained 'bout the siphon being a PIA...guess I've beaten that one...think it's worth the pain of the learning curve & will use it for both general cleaning & emergencies....I've even left mine running for few wks at a time, easy to clean in between....do have one on hand, & hopefully it won't be necessary...good luck...& oh, haven't tried Purigen yet, another controversy.....

Dottie

MonAndrew77
08-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Fish Pals,

Well, starting the siphon is no big deal unless you are unwilling to get a little fish water in your mouth once in a while..... I'll try it. It's only the D1 model, but it's pretty easy to use once you understand how it works. These pop up on eBay from time to time for $50 or so. I'd be surprised there isn't sort of an old school cult following for them. I just wanted to make sure all that powder floating in the water for the first few minutes wasn't harmful to the discus.

Andrew in Northern Virginia

yim11
08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Damn I miss the diatoms. Helluva filter. Wish I still had one. If it works as good now as did many many years ago heck yeah use it!

WaterDog
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm just now getting back into Discus fishkeeping after over a 10 year hiatus but back then I used my diatom on my 180 every weekend with my Discus and never had any problem. I plan on getting another one or even two once I get my new tank set-up.

afriend
08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Get a 100 ml bag of Purigen. Place it somewhere where it gets a lot of water flow. Then stand back and become amazed. I used a diatom filter for several years. The bag of Purigen will produce crystal clear water as good as a diatom filter, and it's a whole lot easier. Will probably last a lot longer too.

Paul

Fundulopanchax
08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
I have a Diatom (D1 that is metal instead of plastic it is so old but all the parts are still the same) - more than 30 years of use and it still goes strong with a new bag every couple of years and use Purigen. With Purigen the Diatom isn't needed often but if you want absolutely clear water you cant beat one. There seems to be a shortage of them and parts right now at some of the online retailers, I hope the company is doing well.

Ron