PDA

View Full Version : Is this ick?

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM
No white spots on body. Just tail. Is it ick or just Sand stuck to the tail?

Tazalanche
08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
BEFORE starting a new thread requesting help, please copy and paste the Disease Questionnaire and fill in the required information. This will help people give more timely and considered advice.
Please click here for the Questionnaire! (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete) You'll get more accurate help if you do the questionnaire.

Good luck.

Kal-El
08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
It's not ich as Discus will not get ich at temps 82 degrees or above. I have some discus with white spots on them but they went away over time with clean water.

Read this thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94569-white-spot-on-fin)... It should help you... Nothing to worry about...

Allwin
08-04-2013, 12:22 PM
+1

will go off eventually, just keep up with ur wc..

It's not ich as Discus will not get ich at temps 82 degrees or above. I have some discus with white spots on them but they went away over time with clean water.

Read this thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94569-white-spot-on-fin)... It should help you... Nothing to worry about...

Tazalanche
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
It's not ich as Discus will not get ich at temps 82 degrees or above.Without proper QT, ich is totally possible at even 84+. That's why QT recommendations are for over two weeks, preferrably 4-6. The lifecycle of ich is about 15 days under standard tropical fish temperatures.

While this probably is not ich & may only be fin ray damage, without the questionnaire, we cannot provide an accurate assessment.

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

white spots on tail fin. Noticed this morning, not sure if they were there before.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, , bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White spots on tail fin. Fish acting normally, not eating but that Is expected because they are new.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon. 6 discus ranging from 2.5 to 6 inches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

One 50% every morning and 80% before bed.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Barebottom, runnin for 1 year use to have sand, took sand out 2 weeks ago.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84__

- ph ____7.8_

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___5_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___yes_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

3 new discus on Tuesday

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

jaykne
08-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I have seen this plenty of times nothing to worry about good clean water which it sounds like you are giving them and it should go away in a couple days, you may want to think about getting a larger tank soon though.

Tazalanche
08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Test your source water's ph, straight out of the tap too please.

fredyx
08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
If its only in the tail Andrew Soh call it in "the naked truth" bacterial nodules, no need of treatment :D

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Should I be worried if I see spots on the pectoral fins?

strawberryblonde
08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
If they are the same nodules that are on the tail fin, then nope, no worries, just doing your water changes will clear it up.

If you see white raised spots on their body, THEN be worried. =)

8ftbed
08-04-2013, 06:40 PM
It's not ich as Discus will not get ich at temps 82 degrees or above...

I'm interested in who/what this claim is based on.
Perhaps it would be a truer statement to say fish generally won't get ich at 82+.

I was at 82 and just had a bout of ich this summer.

You'll find a lot of claims that garlic will keep rabbits out of your garden.
Ha! I've had nests TWICE , right in the middle of a large garlic bed.

jaykne
08-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Toni is correct if it is the same as the tail clean water will clean it up, just clean water. It is not ich.

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
thank you everyone for your help!

Chicago Discus
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
all new discus should be quarantined before adding them to your main tank there is a reason for this. IMO It gives them a chance to get use to your routine and get acclimated to there new environment and keeps your discus safe from cross contamination from different sources. Aging your water is also VERY important especially when performing such large water changes as you are doing. 50% in the morning and 80% in the evening is a bit much for the size fish you have. 50% daily would be more than sufficient. I would keep it very simple with Discus just water changes, Patience, food, wipe down the tank and thats it. The harder you make it the harder it will be. Stress is a very big factor in your success with discus both for the fish and the hobbyist. Just calm down age you water and do the water changes and enjoy them.........:):).....Josie

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
all new discus should be quarantined before adding them to your main tank there is a reason for this. IMO It gives them a chance to get use to your routine and get acclimated to there new environment and keeps your discus safe from cross contamination from different sources. Aging your water is also VERY important especially when performing such large water changes as you are doing. 50% in the morning and 80% in the evening is a bit much for the size fish you have. 50% daily would be more than sufficient. I would keep it very simple with Discus just water changes, Patience, food, wipe down the tank and thats it. The harder you make it the harder it will be. Stress is a very big factor in your success with discus both for the fish and the hobbyist. Just calm down age you water and do the water changes and enjoy them.........:):).....Josie

Josie, will the fish get hurt if i don't age my water? How do you age your water, and how do you pump the aged water into the main tank? I might not be able to age my water because of an issue of space.

JERRYKEVIN
08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
If you do not have PH swings you do not need to age your water. You do need to be carefull of gas bubbles though. I put a micron sock at the end of my python tube and gas bubble problem solved

Chicago Discus
08-04-2013, 08:59 PM
your tank is 55g I think, so what you can do is get a 35 gallon Brute waste container with a lid an air source (air stone) for aeration and a heater to match the water temperature in your tank and let the water age for a minimum of 12 hours more like 24 though. get a powerhead pump with a hose and use that to refill your tank.

Chicago Discus
08-04-2013, 09:10 PM
http://www.orangecountyfl.net/Portals/0/Library/Water-Garbage-Recycle/docs/DrinkingWaterReport2013.pdf
this will help......Josie

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 09:21 PM
your tank is 55g I think, so what you can do is get a 35 gallon Brute waste container with a lid an air source (air stone) for aeration and a heater to match the water temperature in your tank and let the water age for a minimum of 12 hours more like 24 though. get a powerhead pump with a hose and use that to refill your tank.

Could I put it outside? There isn't any space inside.

Chicago Discus
08-04-2013, 09:23 PM

Im not sure you can ask pat she lives in Florida.....Josie

Second Hand Pat
08-04-2013, 09:34 PM

You can for now but the container needs to be tightly covered to keep out bugs, frogs etc. I bring my water inside for aging and heating prior to the WC.

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 09:40 PM

Josie, if the ph and temp off tap is the same as in the tank (it is) could I just stick a hunk of poret foam or a micron sock (as JERRYKEVIN suggested) over the siphon when filling up the tank?

Kal-El
08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Josie, if the ph and temp off tap is the same as in the tank (it is) could I just stick a hunk of poret foam or a micron sock (as JERRYKEVIN suggested) over the siphon when filling up the tank?

The answer is YES, if PH from tap and your tank are the same no need to age your water. All you need to do then is fill your tank from tap do what JERRYKEVIN suggested and use a micron sock.

JERRYKEVIN
08-04-2013, 09:54 PM
You have to check the PH after 24 hours

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 09:56 PM
You have to check the PH after 24 hours

Ph of the tank?

Chicago Discus
08-04-2013, 10:02 PM

If its the same PH as the water in your tank then don't age I don't live in Florida so i don't know the water chemistry. And as far as micro bubbles I have always aged my water so I never had that issue. Maybe others that live in your area can chime in and give you some advise ....Josie

Discusdude7
08-04-2013, 10:03 PM
If its the same PH as the water in your tank then don't age I don't live in Florida so i don't know the water chemistry. And as far as micro bubbles I have always aged my water so I never had that issue. Maybe others that live in your area can chime in and give you some advise ....Josie

Ok gotcha. Thanks so much for your help :)

jaykne
08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
If your ph does not change than there is no need to age your water unless you have micro bubbles. My water has never had micro bubbles but I do have a ph swing due to the way my water company treats the water, I don't think you should have a problem with micro bubbles in FL, but I am can't say for sure I am about 3 hours away from you.

8ftbed
08-05-2013, 08:05 AM
yup! I'm almost exclusively ChicagoDiscus and do not age but our Lake Michigan water is hard and the pH doesn't swing. I do daily wc's right out of the tap. Just be sure you're using enough dechlor (SAFE, Prime, etc.)

Josie's KISS principle works like a charm and will take you down a merry path of fish keeping. Even the top shelf fish keepers have unexplained bumps in the road sometimes though. Don't shoot yourself in the foot when it happens. :)

Discusdude7
08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Are these micro bubbles?
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/thatfishguy1/media/CE892FDA-B8F0-4658-B8B8-2B89145E4683-17505-0000130DB7A0D435_zps89e2c0b1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

jaykne
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
No from what I can see I don't think you have micro bubbles, but remember it can change during different times of the year.

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Are these micro bubbles?
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/thatfishguy1/media/CE892FDA-B8F0-4658-B8B8-2B89145E4683-17505-0000130DB7A0D435_zps89e2c0b1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Most likely not. If I let the water drop too low in the sump allowing the pump to suck a wee bit of air, the bubbles are small enough to show on the slime coat of the fish. Those are micro bubbles I believe and the fish are most unhappy.

Allwin
08-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Noticed fishes are not happy with micro bubbles in water. what that micro bubbles contains to make fishes unhappy? is that kind of dissolved chemicals/minerals/gas or just the O2?

Discusdude7
08-05-2013, 02:37 PM
What causes micro bubbles?