PDA

View Full Version : Discus dieing

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi all I have a problem in my discus tank I've had all my discus roughly 1 year all of a sudden they have started dieing they go really dark
In colour and skinny then they start getting patches on them
If I could add a pic I would but is my first time on here lol
I could email u it if u think u can help me thanks craig

Tazalanche
08-04-2013, 01:29 PM
BEFORE starting a new thread requesting help, please copy and paste the Disease Questionnaire and fill in the required information. This will help people give more timely and considered advice.
Please click here for the Questionnaire! (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete) You'll get more accurate help if you do the questionnaire.

Good luck.

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? Friday

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Turning dark and thin with patches on the side

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
4ft L 3ft H 2ftW
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
Twice a week 1 @ 50 percent 1@ 25 percent

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Been running 1year

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____84

- ph _____7.0

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix. Tap water

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

jaykne
08-04-2013, 01:47 PM
David is right need all the information for anyone to make a guess even a picture won't help without the details.

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? Problem started this Friday fish dieing

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Dark in colour thin not eating and gettin patches on body

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
4ft 3ft 2ft

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
twice a week 1@ 50 percent 1@ 25 percent

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
1year

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No
8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____82

- ph _____7.0

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix. Tap water

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No new fish or plants

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

lipadj46
08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Those are your actual water parameters (0 0 0)? We are not going to give you much useful help if you cannot even test your water (or take it somewhere to be tested) or give us some pics or videos. If you want meaningful help put some work in and actually fill in the questionnaire seriously. First thought with the little info you gave us is water quality issues.

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Will test my water again wen I get bk home thanks for the help so far

strawberryblonde
08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Do you have test kits so that you can test your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? Those are important numbers and will indicate problems with water quality.

Could you also let us know the following:

1) What you feed your discus and how often?

2) How many discus you have in the tank? What are their sizes? How old are they? What other fish do you have in the tank? How many and what sizes?

3) Do you have a gravel or sand substrate and plants in the tank? If so, how deep is the substrate?

4) What type of filters do you use and how often do you clean them? Do you use pre-filters?

lipadj46
08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Will test my water again wen I get bk home thanks for the help so far

what test kit do you have? why I ask is nitrates should not be zero in a cycled tank and the api nitrate kit needs to be shaken vigorously to get a correct reading.

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 05:16 PM
what test kit do you have? why I ask is nitrates should not be zero in a cycled tank and the api nitrate kit needs to be shaken vigorously to get a correct reading.

My test kit is an api fresh water testkit
My ph is around 7.6ppm
My amonia is 0.25ppm
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is also 0 ppm

I feed bloodworm beefheart tetra discus cucumber krill algea wafers
3times a day roughly 6 blocks of frozen food but not all this at once I alter it daily

My filter is a fluval 405 cleaned every month in fish water I syphon out !
1 have 8 discus 2 fully grown others around 4 inch
Have 15 guppies 4 plattys 4 Molly's 4 bristle nose plecs and 4 clown loach 6 corys

I've never had a problem till now
Tank has been running around 1 year now with no problems till now
Please any info would be gd it's horrible to see them die

Bamf1
08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I have a gravel bottom

Discusdude7
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
What are your water params off tap?

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Also how old is your testkit? On a mature tank you should not see measurable ammonia (unless it is a false positive) and always show at least a trace of nitrate (unless you are not shaking it enough).

Crunchy
08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Ammonia reading with 0 nitrates could mean that it's getting a mini cycle. Something could've been there that killed some of the bio bacteria.

I would add prime, salt, and some bottled bacteria to help with cycling.

Tazalanche
08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
My test kit is an api fresh water testkit
My amonia is 0.25ppmAre you using Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe to dechlorinate your water? If so, since you're using an API test kit, that's probably why you have the .25 "false positive".