PDA

View Full Version : My Visit with Discus Hans

MonAndrew77
08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Fish Pals,

So yesterday, we zipped up to "the fish house" and got our first two discus. Hans was terrific. He was so accommodating and and patient. His facility is awesome and let me tell you, I'm no expert, but those fish are like "WOW." Huge graceful hulking rigid-airships just floating over their domain. I'm hooked!

Our display tank is a 175 and while we soon need to have a number of Discus to facilitate shoaling, Hans recommended starting with two 4" fish (which are big enough to be out of the crucial growth stage) and seeing how they do. If all goes well, we'll come back in two weeks and get a few more discus.

In the long run, I want a few Blue Diamonds, a few Cobalts, maybe one or two Silvers and one or two Brilliants. All decidedly "blue" in appearance with maybe a white one in the mix. Who knows.... the red ones were awesome too! But we decided to start with one Cobalt and one Brilliant. I'll post some pics of my tank as soon as I'm past my forum probation period. :)

But let me tell you folks, I've been in customer service in one form or another for many years, and Hans is the man! With an experienced hobbyist, I'm certain he can wax poetic on the finer points of Discus-ing. But for a beginner Discus person, I couldn't imagine a better guide as I step into this magical world.

Thanks so much, Hans. The fish seem to be doing well, you certainly have our highest recommendation, and we we'll be back very soon!

Andrew in Northern Virginia

DiscusLoverJeff
08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Another lucky person who was able to visit the "fish room" and Hans. Sound like you will have more trips in your future.

Provide us some pictures when you can.

Good luck!

DonMD
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
You didn't trip over any cats while you were there, I hope. LOL.

Hans is the man, best source for discus, at least around here.

Allwin
08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
+1

Tease us with pictures!!!

Another lucky person who was able to visit the "fish room" and Hans. Sound like you will have more trips in your future.

Good luck!

mshen11
08-05-2013, 12:13 PM
we visited han's cat yesterday and bumped into you. if you are on this forum then you shouldnt have any worries - plenty of useful info here.

camuth8
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Good luck!

+2
Pictures are the best way to describe your discus.:)

Elliots
08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
You now have a problem you did not realize. You may become a regular Hans visitor, not that that is bad! It depends how far away from his place you are. I was there twice and I am lucky because it is 178 miles each way for me. Too far to travel to say hi and see what he has but not far enough that I cannot travel and buy fish.

John_Nicholson
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Hans is a great guy with great fish....Very few people could inspire me to the point that I would drive from Caddo Mills, TX to Baltimore and back. Left at 7:00PM on a Thursday and was back at 7:00 AM on a Sunday. Got some driving help from my buddy Jim but still a hell of a long way to buy a few fish.......Of course if I could I would do it again....LOL.

-john

mshen11
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
You now have a problem you did not realize. You may become a regular Hans visitor, not that that is bad! It depends how far away from his place you are. I was there twice and I am lucky because it is 178 miles each way for me. Too far to travel to say hi and see what he has but not far enough that I cannot travel and buy fish.

that is a very bad thing if you have a long drive - if you dont believe me ask hans!