PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

caffers0
08-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi
Ive just been given 5 discus by a friend who is moving abroad. Three red tiger turqs, a blue turq and a blue diamond, The fish range in size from 5" to 2.5". They have settled in and are very active. When I enter the room they approach the front glass and all 5 will take beefheart from my hand. Im feeding them on beefheart, chopped mussel and bloodworm, they will even take generic flake. Im feeding 3 to4 times daily and they all eat like pigs. My parameters as they sit are nitrate 0, nitrite and ammonia 0 and a PH of 7.4. The guy who give them to me didnt know what his PH was. I have started to do 20% daily water changes and Im using a mix of RO and tap water dechlorinated with Prime. My temperature is a consistent 30C. Filtration is by a DIY trickle tower filled with floss and sponge and ceramic rings, there is also an external canister filled with ceramic media and over 6 litres of hel x fluidised in the sump. The tank is approximately 650 litres after displacement and is heavily planted, primarily with cryptocorynes and aponogetons, as well as containing a lot of bogwood. However as well as about 40 small tetra and 6 siamese algae eaters, the tank contains 3 large angels and the discus came with 3 pink gouramis, approximately 4-5". I have watched the tank closely and the gouramis seem to leave the discus alone, in fact they have been with them since they were babies. The angels will challenge them for food but are generally non aggressive. Of course I cant watch the tank 24hrs a day!

The problem Im having is that while the largest 2 discus have coloured up and look really well, of the 3 smaller ones, a red turq is heavily barred and the blue turq and diamond though well coloured around their heads and fin are grey bodied. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, they have only been in the tank for 5 days now so am I expecting too much too soon or do some of their companions need to go? Are is there something essential Im missing out on? Any help would be welcomed.

timmy82
08-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a large enough tank and filtration seems quiet elabrate. I would move out the angels and siamese algae eatters as the angles will get angry as they mature and the algae eatters can latch onto the discus at night and suck their slim coat off. Yor water seems fine and the feeding seems good too. If most the discus are under 5" I would up the water changes if you want good growth. I'm not a fan of big changes in one go so I would more go for 20% am and 20% pm coincide the water changes 1 hr after feed of high protien.

Crunchy
08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
i'm guessing some bullying due to different sizes of discus. The tank can handle 12+ discus using those size, filtration and wc.

camuth8
08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Simply! ;)
Discus that are that small won't color up until they get bigger. It's just natural for them to do that. It takes time for them to color up all the way, probably about 6 or so months with the way you're doing your tank for them to get 5" and fully colored.
I agree with Timmy, too, as the the SAE will get the discus annoyed. Angels, too.

caffers0
08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys for your help - I joined a forum here in the UK 3 days ago and posted the same questions and I still have not had a reply. Seems Ive found the right forum.

camuth8
08-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Simply Discus is one of the most reliable forums in the world and you will find a lot of very interesting threads and topics. Glad you were able to find it!

timmy82
08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Simply Discus is one of the most reliable forums in the world and you will find a lot of very interesting threads and topics. Glad you were able to find it!

Yeh if you keep Discus this site is a must just back and watch and listen to the wealth of knowledge you wont find another site like it

caffers0
08-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi still having problems with my blue turq. The other 4 discus are thriving and well coloured, the blue turq (2nd largest discus) however whilst well coloured around his head and fins has still a washed out grey body colour. He is feeding exceptionally well and seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pecking order. Is it a bullying problem? I am considering adding 3 more chens discus to see if I can establish a better balance. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

camuth8
08-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Give him time and he will color up eventually.