PDA

View Full Version : Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Fixtures

JoeJoe
08-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Does anyone use Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Fixtures. I am setting up a 75g and am confused as to best lights for the money. Have anubias and swords. Would like the light to bring out colors in my discus. A LFS recommended one 36" to 48". Should I go with the 48" to 60"? Is one of these LED fixtures enough or should I use 2? I was also looking at the Catalina solar 48 INCH 3 X 54 T5 PLANTED AQUARIUM HOOD. Is the TF better? Thanks,

Joe :)

kareen
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I would call Catalina thay can help you I have T5HO on a 125gl and my plants are growing good I was told that the LED's are very low light for plants.

JoeJoe
08-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks Kareen, I did contact Catalina and they recommended the T5 i Mentioned above. I'm just a bit confused with all the hype for LED lights.

DiscusBR
08-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I also saw these LEDs on sale today at a LFS. I am also interested in knowing about experinces or getting more information about them.

JEden8
08-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I currently run the Current 48" LED+ over my 90 gallon. Overall I am happy with the fixture! It's different coming from 4x54w T5HO's that's for sure though! I am thinking about adding a single T5HO just to give it some more light. I'm waiting to see how my plants respond to it though first. So far the growth has been good though!

Vermino
08-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Does anyone use Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Fixtures. I am setting up a 75g and am confused as to best lights for the money. Have anubias and swords. Would like the light to bring out colors in my discus. A LFS recommended one 36" to 48". Should I go with the 48" to 60"? Is one of these LED fixtures enough or should I use 2? I was also looking at the Catalina solar 48 INCH 3 X 54 T5 PLANTED AQUARIUM HOOD. Is the TF better? Thanks,

depending on your deep your tank is, anything deeper than 18" isn't really worth it unless you are growing very low light plants in a low-tech aquarium (which i know anubias and swords are). I personally did a review (http://www.redcherryshrimp.net/reviews/led-aquarium-lighting-reviews/current-usa-satellite-freshwater-led-review/) on the current usa's satellite and if your 75G ain't shallow, it's just not going to be on PAR (pun intended haha). There is also guitarfish (http://www.guitarfish.org/2013/05/30/satellite-freshwater-led-review-part-2-par-readings) with his review on it and all the PAR settings for it. I would definitely take the T5 or look into a more powerful LED light like finnex fugeray 2. Even though it doesn't come with all the light settings to bring out your discus with their colors, it's still a great way to penetrate deeper waters to grow. But this is all speculation with how deep your aquarium is =)

hope i was alittle bit of help Joe

JoeJoe
08-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Vermino & JEden8, Been a little over whelmed and catching up on prior post.

I am actually thinking of getting a bigger tank, between a 90 or a 120. I do want lights to bring out the colors on the discus. Thinking about sticking to t5, 3 bulbs if 90, 4 bulbs on 120.

dirtyplants
09-21-2013, 09:43 PM
There is a lot of hype out there and it is misleading hype. First you want to look at light, you want the same as the bulbs, reds and blues. No higher then 6700 for plants. Second not all LEDs are alike. Cree makes some of the best. LEDs are directional so you will need lenses on them 45 degrees, 90 degrees ... ... Your LED will also need heat sinks if you desire full length of warranty. Also you need to look at LED intensity 5 watt per LED is best, 3 watts medium 1 watt weak. That is why you see so much extreme pricing out there. The cheap ones are cheap, the good ones run thousands of dollars. Best to look outside the fish world, and look for growing plants with LEDs. There is a good bit knowledge and info out there. You need to know what you want and what you will need.

du3ce
09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
if u want alot of options on changing the color and settings of your light this unit is for you

jarsofkimchee
08-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Did you end up going with the Satellite+? If so, were they able to grow your plants? Did they enhance the colors of your discus?

ronald sherman
08-03-2014, 07:25 PM
funny, someone brought up this subject as I need a light fixture badly as the light on my 75 only had 1 T5 bulb which went bad about 10 day's ago and I can't see me spending 25.00 too replace the bulb on a fixture that can't give me the result's I was looking 4 anyway long story short I was talking with kenfish and he sell's the current and highly recommend's it thinking of going with it as I don't grow plant's

nvladik
08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
I have one over my 75 and I am growing plants just fine. Low demanding plants will grow.