PDA

View Full Version : Discus flashing against things??

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

ok so one of my discus is flashing against the bottom of the tank and on other objects. I saw That it wasn't eating and it was dark this morning.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, , bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Turning dark, clamped fins, flashing, not eating

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon 7 discus. Upgrading to a 120 soon. Range in size from 2.5-6 inches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Running for a year. Barebottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No but I will as soon as my pump from kens fish comes.

8. Parameters and water source;

<div style="margin-left:40px">Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.</div><div style="margin-left:40px">

- temp ____84_

- ph __7.8___

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __3__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___yes_

- RO water ____</div>

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

3+ weeks ago

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Will post video soon

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Here is the video:
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/thatfishguy1/media/83E87081-9237-4353-8FDB-3D35AA7F297A-295-00000015D0F8E201_zps4572377c.mp4.html

troysdiiscus
08-17-2013, 07:44 PM
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/thatfishguy1/th_83E87081-9237-4353-8FDB-3D35AA7F297A-295-00000015D0F8E201_zps4572377c.jpg (http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/thatfishguy1/83E87081-9237-4353-8FDB-3D35AA7F297A-295-00000015D0F8E201_zps4572377c.mp4)

troysdiiscus
08-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I am not one to give advise on meds, so I will say this....up WC and monitor, my thoughts could be flukes or might be itchy....I would wait and see someone can chime in on advise.

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 08:30 PM
I am not one to give advise on meds, so I will say this....up WC and monitor, my thoughts could be flukes or might be itchy....I would wait and see someone can chime in on advise.

Thnx, I will up the WC after my pump gets here and I start aging my water

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Anyone else?

lipadj46
08-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Definitely looks like something external. If you have taken care of all the low hanging fruit like maintenance (water quality, tank wipedowns, filter squeezes etc.) then you may need to try something else. Quick cure is what I would try next but I have some on hand.

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Definitely looks like something external. If you have taken care of all the low hanging fruit like maintenance (water quality, tank wipedowns, filter squeezes etc.) then you may need to try something else. Quick cure is what I would try next but I have some on hand.

Ok my lfs has quick cure I think. So should I just follow the dosage instructions on the package? I also have some furan-2, neoplex and metro coming from kens fish along with my pump.

Allwin
08-17-2013, 09:19 PM
For now, clean all ur filters well and do 80+% aged WC. r u sure ur nitrate is just 3?

How often ur filters are cleaned and do u use ur fluval filter as biological filter?

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 09:29 PM
For now, clean all ur filters well and do 80+% aged WC. r u sure ur nitrate is just 3?

How often ur filters are cleaned and do u use ur fluval filter as biological filter?

Yes the nitrate is 3. (Its between 0 and 5)
The fluval is not even on lol. Filters are cleaned monthly for aquaclears and every 3 months for ehiem. I would clean the ehiem more if it wasnt a pain to put back together.

Chicago Discus
08-17-2013, 09:41 PM
The fluval is not even on lol. Filters are cleaned monthly for aquaclears and every 3 months for ehiem. I would clean the ehiem more if it wasnt a pain to put back together.

Sir,
In my humble opinion you need to start reading some basic discus keeping threads. I still don't see an airstone in the tank. You mentioned on another thread that the reason you don't use airstones is because somone told you that it raises your PH. The reason why it raises the PH is because its gassing out meaning you need to age your water. I will say this again you have a water quality issue. I'm not there so I can't test your water for you.........Josie

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Sir,
In my humble opinion you need to start reading some basic discus keeping threads. I still don't see an airstone in the tank. You mentioned on another thread that the reason you don't use airstones is because somone told you that it raises your PH. The reason why it raises the PH is because its gassing out meaning you need to age your water. I will say this again you have a water quality issue. I'm not there so I can't test your water for you.........Josie

Josie,
The airstone is the little blue cube that's on the wall. Its not on because I usually turn it off when I feed them so it doesn't blow the food everywhere. I already have my Ageing barrel set up but just waiting for pump. So far it looks like the ph Is fluctuating .6 off tap.

White Worm
08-17-2013, 10:00 PM
How much, how often and what do you feed?

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 10:04 PM
How much, how often and what do you feed?

7:00 AM: FDBW 2 cubes

10:00 AM: prime reef

1 PM: FDBW 2 cubes

4:00 PM: prime reef

7:00 PM: FDBW 2 cubes

White Worm
08-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm sure that is contributing to your cleanliness problem. Flukes, planaria and other critters thrive in an environment where food is left behind and the water quality is low. Flashing is usually from an external irritant. I stopped using food that falls to the bottom and sits while discus graze. I like Al's FDBW because I can see how much i need to feed so left-overs don't sit around. Do some searches for flashing and you will find that PP and Prazi can be used to knock back flukes.

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm sure that is contributing to your cleanliness problem. Flukes, planaria and other critters thrive in an environment where food is left behind and the water quality is low. Flashing is usually from an external irritant. I stopped using food that falls to the bottom and sits while discus graze. I like Al's FDBW because I can see how much i need to feed so left-overs don't sit around. Do some searches for flashing and you will find that PP and Prazi can be used to knock back flukes.

Can you tell that it's flukes just by the flashing? The weird thing Is that it's not breathing fast at all. Breathing slower than the others in fact. . .

Allwin
08-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Just curious,how ur biological process is going on ? Agreed with Josie, definitely needs some air-stone.. Looks like water quality issue to me as-well, but not sure how to explain it.. Good luck and keep us updated..

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Just curious,how ur biological process is going on ? Agreed with Josie, definitely needs some air-stone.. Looks like water quality issue to me as-well, but not sure how to explain it.. Good luck and keep us updated..

There is an airstone in the tank but, it was off when I took the video...

White Worm
08-17-2013, 11:42 PM
I would bet flukes. Large daily water changes will reduce the flukes. Wipe down the inside of the tank (walls and bottom) each time.

troysdiiscus
08-17-2013, 11:43 PM
no, need to scope but could be a pretty good indicator though...but no definate...
Can you tell that it's flukes just by the flashing? The weird thing Is that it's not breathing fast at all. Breathing slower than the others in fact. . .

Discusdude7
08-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Are flukes contagious ?

White Worm
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
As the numbers increase, yes, they will infect all discus. Some believe all discus and tanks have flukes but it is the infestation level that affects discus in different ways. Young fish are even more susceptible to them because they are an irritant that causes stress. Picture them like mosquito's for people.

Discusdude7
08-18-2013, 12:10 AM
As the numbers increase, yes, they will infect all discus. Some believe all discus and tanks have flukes but it is the infestation level that affects discus in different ways. Young fish are even more susceptible to them because they are an irritant that causes stress. Picture them like mosquito's for people.

How long would one need to treat with prazi pro to keep flukes at a safe level?

White Worm
08-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I would try larger water changes and more often for a week or two to check for improvement before using meds. In the meantime, do some searches for prazi and you will find a few solid schedules for its use.

strawberryblonde
08-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Ok, I'll chime in on this one. =)

I don't suspect flukes, but clearly he's irritated, so as a safeguard, pick up some Tetra Parasite Guard at your LFS and use as directed, but still do the daily WC and then redose accordingly (rather than every other day as the package directs).

Then, I can see in the video that you don't have any pre-filters on your filters. I suspect that's the culprit and cause of your water quality issues. Buy pre-filters while you're at the LFS for all intakes.

And last up, CLEAN the filter media...even the canister... in a bucket of used tank water. You'll probably need at least 2 buckets if you haven't cleaned them in a month or three.

I don't know how many or what size filters you're using, but you said Aquaclears, plural, so if they are at least AC70's and you have 2 of them, stop using the canister altogether.

For extra aeration and also some extra filtration you can always buy a sponge filter and toss it in there.

Once you have pre-filters on all the intakes you'll need to rinse them under running tap water at each water change to remove all the food and poop that they catch. You'll be shocked at how MUCH they collect that would normally end up in the filter media.

Your feedings seem fine to me, so I wouldn't change that part at all. Oh and there's no need to turn off the air or filters during feedings so long as the pre-filters are on the intakes. Yes, food will fly around the tank, but the discus will chase it down and eat it.

I toss in frozen beefheart cubes which settle on the bottom.... twice a day... and there's never a problem with my water quality. They float around in little bits, settle on the bottom and eventually get eaten. LOL

trungnguyen
08-18-2013, 02:56 AM
I think you should clean your tank more, wipe the glass and bottom more often (when you do water change if you can), increase water change, and raise the temp up a bit to 86-88 (turn on the air stone because hot water has less oxygen), clean your filters more often if you feed them many times per day.....and observe...

I have 55 gallons tank with 8 discus from Kenny, 1 Fluval 306 canister filter and one large sponge filter, gravel bottom, and I feed them 4 times a day with beefheart, pellet, FDBW, and FBW....I do water change everyday about 80% and clean my canister every week. Everything been fine and discus grow very fast...My tempt is 86....so you can give it a try....

Discusdude7
08-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Should I feed bloodworms to entice the one that's not eating to eat?

pastry
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm liking what Toni's dishing. Not to give her a big head or anything. Plenty of good folks on the thread but I've followed her advice before and she's batting a thousand for me (even though I still use my canister!)

strawberryblonde
08-18-2013, 10:38 AM
LOL Elliot! Canister's are absolutely ok to use and I love my Marineland, it's awesome.

I just don't think it's needed in this case if he already has 2 HOB filters up and running. Just one more thing to clean, and he says he doesn't like cleaning it. =)

No worries about me getting a swelled head here. Not after spending an entire year battling every disease known to discus. It was THE most difficult challenge I've faced in a very long time and mostly I failed at it. On the plus side, I learned a few things along the way.

strawberryblonde
08-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Should I feed bloodworms to entice the one that's not eating to eat?

Nope, no need to change their diet. The big guy will start eating again once he's not so irritated and itchy. Just get those filters cleaned and properly outfitted with pre-filters. Oh and run a course of the Tetra Parasite Guard.

Don't be surprised if they all refuse to eat during treatment. That's very common and they'll start again as soon and the treatment is complete and the meds are all out of the water.

Did I mention that you'll need to keep the lights off during treatment? Many meds are light sensitive.

Discusdude7
08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Nope, no need to change their diet. The big guy will start eating again once he's not so irritated and itchy. Just get those filters cleaned and properly outfitted with pre-filters. Oh and run a course of the Tetra Parasite Guard.

Don't be surprised if they all refuse to eat during treatment. That's very common and they'll start again as soon and the treatment is complete and the meds are all out of the water.

Did I mention that you'll need to keep the lights off during treatment? Many meds are light sensitive.

Ok thanks toni! :)

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Ifs doesn't have tetra parasite guard...got some API general cure instead, can I use that instead?

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Oh and should I add any salt?

Brotoss
08-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, salt is very effective and it also works as a stress coat. If the flashing and spasms get worst I would do the prazi 21 day treatment IMO by the 10th day the flashing and spasms stopped completely.

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
anyone wanna chime in on the general cure?

PP_GBR
08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Dude

I feel bad for you. New fish and more headache! Petsmart carries TPG. Good luck.

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 07:14 PM
General cure is good. Prazi and metro I believe. Salt is not needed. Just follow the directions

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 07:31 PM
General cure is good. Prazi and metro I believe. Salt is not needed. Just follow the directions

How long do you think I should treat? It says to wait 48 hrs and re dose with out WC. Can I do a WC After 24 hrs and just redose?

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Well prazi is dosed for 3 days with one dose and metro should be dosed for 10 days dosed every day. That is why most don't recommend combo meds. If you suspect flukes dose for at least 10 days and then another 10 days after resting 7 days. I would scope first though for flukes

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Well prazi is dosed for 3 days with one dose and metro should be dosed for 10 days dosed every day. That is why most don't recommend combo meds. If you suspect flukes dose for at least 10 days and then another 10 days after resting 7 days. I would scope first though for flukes

....I have Prazipro and metro power as well...how do you scope

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Scrape a glass slide over the Gill plates and arount the gills then look for flukes under a microscope. If you don't have a scope try the general cure for 5 days and see if things get better.

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Scrape a glass slide over the Gill plates and arount the gills then look for flukes under a microscope. If you don't have a scope try the general cure for 5 days and see if things get better.

You said that general cure is a mixture of prazi and metro...in this case would I be better off using prazi pro because it doesn't make the fish loose appetite? OR does the metro/prazi mix help treat the flukes more effectively

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
I'd you suspect flukes use prazi and treat for an extended time and be sure to retreat

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
I'd you suspect flukes use prazi and treat for an extended time and be sure to retreat

So there isn't really a benefit in using the combined medication correct?
sorry for all the questions :/

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Hopefully my pump gets here soon

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
How many filters do you have in the tank?
List them please

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
What medications have you used in the tank ever?

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
How many filters do you have in the tank?
List them please

Filters:
Aquaclear 70
Aquaclear 50
Ehiem 2215
Fluval U3 (not plugged in)
Medications:
Prazi pro after reading your tapeworm thread....only for 2 days, nothing was passed by any fish

On a side note almost half of the discus seem to be twitching there dorsal find now...

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 09:00 PM
So there isn't really a benefit in using the combined medication correct?
sorry for all the questions :/

Not really no.

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Just finished a 50% WC..will be Dosing Prazi pro..we will see what happens
How long should I treat?

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
and when should I expect results?

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Filters:
Aquaclear 70
Aquaclear 50
Ehiem 2215
Fluval U3 (not plugged in)
Medications:
Prazi pro after reading your tapeworm thread....only for 2 days, nothing was passed by any fish

On a side note almost half of the discus seem to be twitching there dorsal find now...

Ok take out the aquaclear 50, and the ehiem and remove the fluval filter. Take out all the internal filters and just use the aquaclear 70 if you can put a sponge filter in that would be great and Please Please keep an airstone going in the tank ....Josie

Ok how many discus and other occupants do you have in the tank.....

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:29 PM
STOP PUTTING MEDS IN.........Josie

lipadj46
08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Just finished a 50% WC..will be Dosing Prazi pro..we will see what happens
How long should I treat?

If treating flukes I would do 10 days minimum (some do up to 3 weeks for flukes confirmed with a scrape) with a 7 day rest followed by another 10 day treatment. The fluke eggs are not killed by any medications so it is very important to do the followup treatment. It is common for the fish to be "cured" then 2 weeks later it starts all over again.

and when should I expect results?

The fish should look better and stop flashing after a day or 2. Prazi is good because it is water stable so it does not degrade like metro does. Makes treating fairly cost effective

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Ok take out the aquaclear 50, and the ehiem and remove the fluval filter. Take out all the internal filters and just use the aquaclear 70 if you can put a sponge filter in that would be great and Please Please keep an airstone going in the tank ....Josie

7 discus. 2 cories and 4 harlequin rasboras. Can I leave the filters hanging on the tank but just turn em off?(except the fluval) do you think this could impact the beneficial bacteria population?

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM
No take them off you will get anaerobic bacteria that will foul the tank.......Josie

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok when you just did your water change did you use aged water?

Discusdude7
No take them off you will get anaerobic bacteria that will foul the tank.......Josie

Ok

lipadj46
Prazi won't hurt your filters, they should be treated too. In the best case situation you need to treat the fish in a sanitized tank, then sanitize a second tank and filter to do the followup treatment. Gill flukes are a tough one to get rid of.

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily think you have gill flukes but am giving you the info you need as if you did. Gill flukes seemed to go around a couple years ago. I had fish that had them confirmed by a gill scrape. I treated them with everything (prazi, delos powder, quick cure, PP) I finally used Flubendazole and DMSO to eradicate them. Good luck

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Ok when you just did your water change did you use aged water?

No...I have aging barrel set up with heater and airstone just waiting on the water pump

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
If you did not age the water then go to the local fish shop and get some carbon for the aqua-clear 70 also while you are there get some MARINE SALT used for salt water tanks yes for salt water. Use one table spoon per ten gallons of water. Keep the airstone going and turn the lights off. Feed small amounts and keep your temp. at 82-84.

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:43 PM
No...I have aging barrel set up with heater and airstone just waiting on the water pump

Use a siphone and a bucket with your aging barrel until you get your pump.....Josie

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Make sure that you have a prefilter on the aquaclear 70 and you rinse the fiter and media out with a clean bucket of tank water. Make sure you wipe the tank down with a clean sponge.........Josie

strawberryblonde
08-19-2013, 09:46 PM

This! I asked you to remove the extra filters and to clean the one/s that remain. There is NO benefit in leaving a filter hanging in the tank if it's not running and the risk of fouling the water as the BB dies is huge.

Add a pre-filter to the AC70 and rinse it in tap water every day to remove food and poop that it collects.

You can sterilize the media in the unused filters, or just replace it with new media and use them in the future on other tanks.

Oh and add a sponge filter or an extra air stone, ok? The sponge filter will need to be rinsed in used tank water at least every other day for now while you are clearing up your water issues.

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:47 PM
The Marine salt with stop the irritation the discus are having at the moment I don't think you should be using meds. Til you get the water right. I make sure you quantine all fish before they enter you main tank.,,,.....,Josie

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 09:48 PM
This! I asked you to remove the extra filters and to clean the one/s that remain. There is NO benefit in leaving a filter hanging in the tank if it's not running and the risk of fouling the water as the BB dies is huge.

Add a pre-filter to the AC70 and rinse it in tap water every day to remove food and poop that it collects.

You can sterilize the media in the unused filters, or just replace it with new media and use them in the future on other tanks.

Oh and add a sponge filter or an extra air stone, ok? The sponge filter will need to be rinsed in used tank water at least every other day for now while you are clearing up your water issues.

Thank you Toni don't leave me ..LOL.....Josie

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:57 PM
If you did not age the water then go to the local fish shop and get some carbon for the aqua-clear 70 also while you are there get some MARINE SALT used for salt water tanks yes for salt water. Use one table spoon per ten gallons of water. Keep the airstone going and turn the lights off. Feed small amounts and keep your temp. at 82-84.

Ok thanks....I have aquarium salt, the API one will that work for now?

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 09:59 PM
And Josie If you don't mind me asking what's the difference between marine and aquarium salt? Will the marine salt work more effectively or is it just more concentrated?

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Ok thanks....I have aquarium salt, the API one will that work for now?

No I don't like aquarium salt I have always used the marine salt to treat the tanks but if that's all you have then give t a try the problem with aquarium salt it that it has a hard time dissolving. Put the salt in a plastic cup with some holes otherwise the sat will just lay on the bottom and won't dissolve. Or you can try to dissolve the salt in a small amount of warm water then add it to the tank,

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 10:04 PM
No I don't like aquarium salt I have always used the marine salt to treat the tanks but if that's all you have then give t a try the problem with aquarium salt it that it has a hard time dissolving. Put the salt in a plastic cup with some holes otherwise the sat will just lay on the bottom and won't dissolve. Or you can try to dissolve the salt in a small amount of warm water then add it to the tank,

other than the problem with it dissolving do they work differently? I have a saltwater store near me and I can go and get marine salt if needed.

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Dissolves better and works faster as a bath IMO......,Josie

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:10 PM
other than the problem with it dissolving do they work differently? I have a saltwater store near me and I can go and get marine salt if needed.

If you can get some Marine Salt that would be better IMO......Josie

Discusdude7
08-19-2013, 10:11 PM
If you can get some Marine Salt that would be better IMO......Josie

Ok gotcha..thanks for all the help :)

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Start aging your water tonight forget the return pump until you get it and do a water change with the aged water tomorrow. Make sure you have a heater and an air pump going full blast in that storage tank.

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Discusdude, do you want me to stop by and see what is happening with your fish?? The salt is a great idea and I can help you simplify your system. Do you really have all these filters running?? I can bring over a new extra large sponge filter to help with AC 70 and clear the water.

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Discusdude, do you want me to stop by and see what is happening with your fish?? The salt is a great idea and I can help you simplify your system. Do you really have all these filters running?? I can bring over a new extra large sponge filter to help with AC 70 and clear the water.

Yes please I will pay for the gas.......Josie

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Your a hoot Josie

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Your a hoot Josie

:p

strawberryblonde
08-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes please I will pay for the gas.......Josie

I'll go halfsies on the cost of gas!

Chicago Discus
08-19-2013, 10:53 PM
I'll go halfsies on the cost of gas!

You got it LOL.......Josie

PP_GBR
08-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Josie:

Go 4 salt.

Dude

Order a bottle of Tetra Safe Start from Ken's fish next time. It's good to have on hand. If you have another tank, move your fish there. It's good to jump tank sometimes you know. Please follow Josie's direction.

Discusdude7
08-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Josie...I just bought this, hope it's the kind you were talking about. Will add 1 tablespoon for every 10 gallons after today's waterchange

Discusdude7
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Is this A HOLE in his gill plate?!?

lipadj46
08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Where?

Discusdude7
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Discusdude7
08-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Chicago Discus
08-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Josie...I just bought this, hope it's the kind you were talking about. Will add 1 tablespoon for every 10 gallons after today's waterchange

Yes that salt will work fine, Make sure to take out all the extra filters in the tank even the internal filters and just use the AC70 and an AIR-STONE. dissolve the correct amount in a cup of water and put the salt in the tank. Then lights out.

Pat was gracious enough to give you a sponge and come help with the water. You should let her know if you would like her help......Josie

Chicago Discus
08-20-2013, 06:54 PM
The pit you see on the cheek is brought on from water quality. Fix the water and no more pits .......Josie

PP_GBR
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Dude

Stop taking pix of your new fish. You're really looking for trouble. The fish looks fine to me unless I need trifocal lenses. LOL.

Reef salt takes a bit longer to dissolve but you could drop the salt right in the AC filter and let it does it job LOL.

I never have any problem with salt. I've dropped a handful of solar salt here and there in my tanks many times and have not killed a fish including discus. LOL

Discusdude7
08-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Pat, that would be great! I though you were kidding..glad you weren't :)

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Pat, that would be great! I though you were kidding..glad you weren't :)

It is a honest offer to help, it would be mean to tease like that. Can your guys hang on until this weekend?

Discusdude7
08-22-2013, 03:22 PM
It is a honest offer to help, it would be mean to tease like that. Can your guys hang on until this weekend?

Pat, check ur pm

dkeef
08-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Looks like we got similar situations. I have same issues but they seem to get better now.
I would relax and fix water and let it rest.
Thats my plan. I had twitching, flashing, clamped fin but all i did was large wc and let them settle down.
I use to freak out in beginning of my discus keeping whenever i saw something wrong. Most of time it was some stress and all i needed was wc. I have yet to use meds. And ill use meds when i tried all other options for few weeks first.

Second Hand Pat
08-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Pat, check ur pm

It was nice talking to you both. We will talk later.

Discusdude7
08-24-2013, 09:03 AM
I saw this floating around...do you guys think this is a sign of parasites ?
(just turned tank lights on long enough to take a pic of mysterious poop)

Second Hand Pat
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Hmm. I wonder if that could be a stress indicator. We'll talk about that today.

Oscarsx
09-06-2013, 12:18 AM
I wish people came to my house too! lol =x

you lucky locals!!