PDA

View Full Version : Discus staring at surface ?

aseph
08-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
2 of my discus likes to hang out a few inches from water surface body tilted to the surface , not taking any air in, few stays at the bottom, all the other fish are staying at the bottom as well

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Most of the discus are eating, they are darker maybe due to being place in planted tank, the staying near water surface are mo frequent when the light is out

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
200 liter/50 gal , 3 years , had 4 juvy for over 1 year (culled most of them 1 left)
added 4 adult discus in this 2 week period
now 5 discus( 2 6 inch discus, 2 5 inch discus,1 3.5 inch stunted discus , 7 neon tetra, few ottos, and 5-6 kuhli )

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
3 times weekly 50% now , planing to do 2 50% after established

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
3 years , gravel substrate moderetly planted

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
not aged, adding decholorinator, i will compare the ph from tap and tank
water source is 270 tds, ard 3 kh forgot my gh

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____ 28c / 82.4 f

- ph _____ arnd 7.4

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ 25(strip test not too acurate dosing kno3)

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ 100% treated with declorinator

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
4 adult discus is the newly added, 2 five inch stays at the bottom bullied and a little stressed, 2 six inch that hangs out on top eating well

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
will do when i reach 10 post

Chicago Discus
08-20-2013, 12:57 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
2 of my discus likes to hang out a few inches from water surface body tilted to the surface , not taking any air in, few stays at the bottom, all the other fish are staying at the bottom as well
How the breathing or are they just staring at the top.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Most of the discus are eating, they are darker maybe due to being place in planted tank, the staying near water surface are mo frequent when the light is out

Im no expert with planted tanks But sounds like you need some more air going in the tank.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

none
GOOD

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
200 liter/50 gal , 3 years , had 4 juvy for over 1 year (culled most of them 1 left)
added 4 adult discus in this 2 week period
now 5 discus( 2 6 inch discus, 2 5 inch discus,1 3.5 inch stunted discus , 7 neon tetra, few ottos, and 5-6 kuhli )

dont see any quarantining going on just asking for trouble

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
3 times weekly 50% now , planing to do 2 50% after established
Thats sounds fine

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
3 years , gravel substrate moderetly planted

whats other occupants have shared the tank and did you Sterilize the tank after you switched inhabitants?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
not aged, adding decholorinator, i will compare the ph from tap and tank you need to compare the tap water with aged aerated water after 24 hrs and compare the two
water source is 270 tds, ard 3 kh forgot my gh

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____ 28c / 82.4 f good

- ph _____ arnd 7.4 good

- ammonia reading ____ 0 good

- nitrite reading ____ 0 good

- nitrate reading ____ 25(strip test not too acurate dosing kno3) not so bad could be a wee bit lower

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ 100% treated with declorinator What Kind?

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
4 adult discus is the newly added, 2 five inch stays at the bottom bullied and a little stressed, 2 six inch that hangs out on top eating well

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
will do when i reach 10 post

aseph
08-20-2013, 01:17 AM
i will count the breathing tonight, what is the normal BPM for adult discus?

With planted tank is not advisable to run aerator, especially during light on, it'll drive all the co2 out, i m planing to buy a timer to set the aerator on during lights out.didnt quarantine at all the 4 new discus is taken from a single source single tank at LFS(at 2 weeks span), not the best looking discus but they were good enough for me, yes i know i m taking a huge risk

nope i didnt sterile the tank at all

I will compared straight tap, aerated tap , and in the tank water PH

My water is provided by private water company that support the whole suburb, what kind i dunno, i live in city in South east Asia, Tap water is not drinkable, my water is heavily chlorined (not sure about cholorimne) i dechlorinate with sodium thioshulfate. water is fine for most fish, i have trouble keeping shrimps alive even after dechlorinating i m suspecting trace metal

I can lower the Kno3 dosing, but my test strip are inaccurate its shows 0,5,25,50 ,100 etc its closest to 25 (trying to get more accurate reading )