PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy eyes

kareen
08-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi All, I have a 125gl Planted Discus tank 50%wc once week all water test good ph good but Iv notice some of my 6 Discus eyes are cloudy. There eating good 3x a day I read somewere this could be a sign of worms. if os what meds can I use to fix this.Thanks for your help

blueluv
08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
BEFORE starting a new thread requesting help, please copy and paste the Disease Questionnaire and fill in the required information. This will help people give more timely and considered advice.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete
:D

strawberryblonde
08-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, please do fill out the Disease Questionnaire. You can copy and paste it into a thread in the Disease/Sickness section of the forums. That's where you'll get the best help.

yim11
08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Where do folks read all this bad info????

kareen
08-21-2013, 10:42 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? My Discus have light cloudy eyes for about mouth now, all eating 3x a day

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).light cloudy eyes all look good no another symptoms

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.) none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.)125gl fish are 3yr old have 6 discus at 5-6"in

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).50% once week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
Tank been up for 3-1/2 years Planted /w 3" eco-complete filtration sump

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Do not age w/c from tap

8. Parameters and water source;
Alkalin 8.5 from Tap city water

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___82__

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___0_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-09-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added a little Toni/Pat magic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-08-2004, 12:09 AM#2

Carol_Roberts

strawberryblonde
08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Kareen,

Thanks for filling out the questionnaire. There are some very important parts that you left blank.

Can you test your water and report back the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels for us?

The reason I'm asking is that I suspect that the cloudy eyes are caused by a water quality issue. The only way to know for sure is to see the numbers.

Also, how often do you clean your filters?

blueluv
08-21-2013, 11:00 PM
You say that water parameters from tap has a ph of 8.5 then you post 6.5 as the ph in your aquarium. That's a big difference, I know that your doing WCs once a week. You may want to consider aging your water to maintain a constant ph.

camuth8
08-21-2013, 11:25 PM
May need a few more w/c, too. Would keep the water parameters down.

Ryan
08-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Hi Kareen,

I have merged both of your threads together regarding the cloudy eyes on your fish.

As Toni said, the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are very important. Did you check them and get 0 for all of them, or were you unable to check? Zero nitrates is very unusual in an established tank. Most have some trace of them. Check the dates on your test kits to ensure they're not expired. If you don't have test kits, you can get a master test kit made by API at most chain pet stores.

As Chris mentioned, pH 8.5 to pH 6.5 seems like a huge swing.

kareen
08-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Ok I Have a new Sera Test Kit. I did a 50% W/C Last Thursday I checked my PH today it was why to low. ok here it gos my PH 5.0/ Nitrite 0.0/ Ammonia 0 / Nitrate 25gm / So I did a 60% W/C Today my PH 7.0/ Nitrite 0.0/ Ammonia 0/ Nitrate 25gm . I don't know Way my Nitrate is so high. I do use Flourish Excel for my plants and have some glay balls in my Substrate and I use Safe When I do W/C, I clean my filter with W/C , so what am I doing wrong for my fish to have light cloudy eyes.

blueluv
08-22-2013, 09:26 PM
You probably have nitrates coming from your tap water. If you want the cloudy eyes to heal you need to increase your WCs. Are you able to age your water before WC?

kareen
08-22-2013, 10:32 PM
My Tanks are in my dinning room I have a basment but have no way to pump water up to them it's to fare the only way to age water is outside on my deck I will try to Increase my W/C and see what happens.Thanks

kareen
08-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Just Checked my tap water 0 Nitrates

DonMD
08-23-2013, 05:14 AM
My Tanks are in my dinning room I have a basment but have no way to pump water up to them it's to fare the only way to age water is outside on my deck I will try to Increase my W/C and see what happens.Thanks

Hi,Kareen,

If your dining room is just one level above your basement, there are many pumps that will move water up one flight, easily. I use a magdrive pump, from a storage barrel in my basement. It makes it very easy to do water changes. The easier you can make water changes, the more often you'll do them, and the healthier your fish will be.

strawberryblonde
08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Your tank has reached the point where there's just too much build up of detritus in the tank and not enough fresh water and cleaning to remove it.

Nitrates and the pH are good indicators that your tank needs a LOT more cleaning, but what you aren't seeing is the level of DOC's in the water column.

So, the key is to up the water changes. For that size tank, I'd start out with 50% every day till the cloudy eyes clear up. Be sure to vacuum the bottom to get excess crud off of it!

Once the eyes have cleared up you can go back to fewer WC's, but if it was me, I'd stick to 3 per week rather than go back to once a week. If you see the eyes clouding up again when you cut back to 3x per week, then you'll need to think about rescaping your tank in order to get that eco complete out.

kareen
08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
The part of the Basment under my Tanks is an Apartment so to pump age water would have to be at the anther end of the Basment and my house is a rancher. The only place is to put a storage barrel out on my deck outside I have sliding glass doors that go out from my diningroom so I will see what I can do. I have 2-125gl Tanks the one has no fish in it yat it's been up for three months just been growing out plants in it. now that I know what I need to do so I will start working on it . Thanks