PDA

View Full Version : babies getting eaten

penangeruption
08-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi all. I cant get my babies to survive past wriggler stage. The parents look ater the eggs they hatch and still get looked after. As soon as they leave the cone and start swimming around the parents within a day or 2 they get eaten there have been maybe 6 batches that have made it to this point any advice or tips please.....

Keith Perkins
08-23-2013, 10:43 PM
First thing I'd try in your situation is pulling one of the parents, probably the female, and see if that solves the problem. If not, put them back together and next time around pull the male.

penangeruption
08-23-2013, 11:18 PM
The babies have hatched should I remove her now or wait till they are ready to start swimming

Bilbo
08-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Eventually the problem will likely correct itself as the parents become more experienced. However, if you are wanting results now then yes, pull the female. Usually she is the culprit though sometimes he male is. Pull the female as she is the one that is likely eating her young due to her urge to spawn again. I had a pair of Royal Blues years ago that did this. Pulled the female, problem solved.

penangeruption
08-24-2013, 03:09 AM
Thanka should I take her out immediately or keave her till the babies start to swim

Bilbo
08-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Now

penangeruption
08-30-2013, 04:03 AM
So i descided to leave both parents in with babies. So far so good they have been swimming on the parents for 3days. The lights are currntly on for approx 10hours a day. My question is should the lights be left on all night to help the babies find the parents or leave it be.

John_Nicholson
08-30-2013, 07:26 AM
There should always be at least a little light in the room. I just leave the normal light on. The longest that I ever had the lights on non-stop because of pairs with fry was just a little over 5 years. It did not seem to bother the fish at all.

-john

Chicago Discus
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
There should always be at least a little light in the room. I just leave the normal light on. The longest that I ever had the lights on non-stop because of pairs with fry was just a little over 5 years. It did not seem to bother the fish at all.

-john

+1 Love it...............Josie