PDA

View Full Version : North American Discus Association 2014 Show - June 20-22, 2014!

yim11
08-23-2013, 10:48 PM
The North American Discus Association is pleased to formally announce our 2014 Discus Show hosted by the Lone Star Discus Club in Austin Texas June 20-22, 2014.

Please visit our official show website at http://nadaaustin2014.com/ .

This is a unique opportunity to see and meet distinguished Discus speakers from around the world as well as see some of the best discus from all corners of the globe!

Of course, there are the social aspects also. ;)

The Lone Star Club certainly has their work cut out for them to top the amazing 2012 Atlanta show but I'm more than confident they can do it!

Thank you,
-jim

TNT77
08-23-2013, 10:53 PM
:bounce2::bounce2: Cant wait.

Second Hand Pat
08-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Me too :D

Discus-n00b
08-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Me three! Now comes the debate, do I fly out or drive out and make it a roadtrip along the way.

Larry Bugg
08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Woo Hoo!!!!

Man, I'm excited already. Can't wait and I have no doubt this will be the best Discus Show ever in North America!!

Trier20
08-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Where is the room block at!? lol

Allwin
08-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Nice, so who else are traveling from Chicago?

yim11
08-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Where is the room block at!? lol

The deal we got on rooms is nothing short of unbelievable. These rooms are being redone now so will be all new for our show, 4 diamond hotel, at this price, you won't be disappointed. :)

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/AustinSouthpark/MeetingFacilities/NorthAmericanDiscusAssociation6.aspx

Trier20
08-24-2013, 12:45 AM
The deal we got on rooms is nothing short of unbelievable. These rooms are being redone now so will be all new for our show, 4 diamond hotel, at this price, you won't be disappointed. :)

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/AustinSouthpark/MeetingFacilities/NorthAmericanDiscusAssociation6.aspx

I was half a$$ joking around but that is great!

Poco
08-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Looking forward to this for sure!

Just noticed on the hotel page it say conference dates June 18-21. I know early is for preparation but why 21 shouldnt it be 22?

Tazalanche
08-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Ten months away & Merry is already bouncing off the walls to start setting aside vacation time and making arrangements for the trip. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/stuff/Smileys/zep.gif

Hopefully the preparations for the national convention of my employer (Nashville, TN June 23-27, 2014) will not interfere with our NADA 2014 plans or she'll be all http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/stuff/Smileys/crazy_girl.gif & I'll be http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/stuff/Smileys/runaway.gif.

yim11
08-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Looking forward to this for sure!

Just noticed on the hotel page it say conference dates June 18-21. I know early is for preparation but why 21 shouldnt it be 22?

The hotel set it up assuming attendees would be checking out/leaving Sun afternoon. I've asked them to add/change their dates so anyone wanting to stay Sun night can get our discounted rate.

Thanks

John_Nicholson
08-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Well I have not really posted since admin informed me that my opinions were not really needed but I figured that NADA is to important to not post. I have said it before and I will say it again.....Folks this will be the most fun that you can have with your clothes on. If there is anyone out there that has been disappointed in a NADA show I have never met them. I wish I could really explain just how much fun it is but I am just not good enough to get that done. Also this hotel is great...in fact they have made movies there.....

-john

lipadj46
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
I for one like your opinions john keep em coming

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

RichT
08-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I for one like your opinions john keep em coming

+1

John_Nicholson
08-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys but lets keep this thread to NADA...It is way more important then I will ever be...LOL. Can't wait to see everyone. I just hope some new folks make the trip. Did ya'll see who the speakers are?

-john

Skip
08-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Well I have not really posted since admin informed me that my opinions were not really needed but I figured that NADA is to important

-john

Ditto...

Nada was a blast!.. we are looking forward to having a great time in Austin for you guys!

Trubble
08-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Me three! Now comes the debate, do I fly out or drive out and make it a roadtrip along the way.
I am trying to talk David into driving out. Maybe taking a fish or 2. If this happens, you are welcome to meet us in the nashville, Tn area, and we can convoy out.

John_Nicholson
08-24-2013, 06:28 PM
I am trying to talk David into driving out. Maybe taking a fish or 2. If this happens, you are welcome to mmet us in the nashville, Tn area, and we can convoy out.

Please do. I love it when people enter their fish. It makes the show even more fun.

-john

lipadj46
08-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Hmm I'll be done with my masters degree this spring and won't have anything to do next summer

John_Nicholson
08-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Hmm I'll be done with my masters degree this spring and won't have anything to do next summer

Then I expect to see you there......

-john

nwehrman
08-24-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm so excited! It is going to be a great show!

Disgirl
08-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Me too! Can't wait til next June. Atlanta was so great, I know this will be too!
Barb

Discus-n00b
08-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I am trying to talk David into driving out. Maybe taking a fish or 2. If this happens, you are welcome to mmet us in the nashville, Tn area, and we can convoy out.

Could be possible actually, I'd probably have to go up to TN a day early and spend the night there....a 20hr drive is not appealing LOL. Gives me an excuse to put miles on the Challenger....

John, how was it driving to NADA in Atlanta from Texas? You did it straight right no overnights?

Bill63SG
08-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Starting to float this by the wife.Brandon and I are talking of road-tripping.

John_Nicholson
08-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Yep...I haul. Not to bad. I did find a camaro in LA and we hit triple digits for about an hour...shorten the trip a bit...LOL.

-john

Could be possible actually, I'd probably have to go up to TN a day early and spend the night there....a 20hr drive is not appealing LOL. Gives me an excuse to put miles on the Challenger....

John, how was it driving to NADA in Atlanta from Texas? You did it straight right no overnights?

sdrexler078
08-24-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm really looking forward to Nada. This will be my first time and judging from pictures and what everyone says its going to be the best vacation I've ever taken.

Trubble
08-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Could be possible actually, I'd probably have to go up to TN a day early and spend the night there....a 20hr drive is not appealing LOL. Gives me an excuse to put miles on the Challenger...
Np. You and David can compare Challengers.

Trubble
08-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Please do. I love it when people enter their fish. It makes the show even more fun.

-john

Thanks John

Tazalanche
08-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Np. You and David can compare Challengers.His wins by 2.1 liters & 74 horsepower while still getting over 20mpg. :D

yim11
08-24-2013, 10:53 PM
You can make that up in weight. ;)

Trubble
08-25-2013, 08:20 AM
His wins by 2.1 liters & 74 horsepower while still getting over 20mpg. :D

Maybe, but your color is way cooler (i'm prejudiced, though).

Trubble
08-25-2013, 08:22 AM
You can make that up in weight. ;)

Very true. Hehe. :angel:

John_Nicholson
08-25-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm really looking forward to Nada. This will be my first time and judging from pictures and what everyone says its going to be the best vacation I've ever taken.

Looking forward to meeting you. Make sure to introduce yourself to everyone and just jump in the middle of everything.

-john

Keith Perkins
08-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Trying to decide from your comment if you saw the picture of John at the NADA show from a few years back or not. :confused::D:confused:

John_Nicholson
08-25-2013, 09:52 AM
LOL....That was many yearas ago and was an ACA show.....geez a man wears one dress to a show and he never hears the end of it......

-john

Chad Adams
08-25-2013, 10:21 AM
This will be an awesome time. These guys have been working extremely hard and we will all reap the benefits!

Chad

TwistedSister
08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I can't go for the whole thing, but I am bound and determined to be there for at least one night and send fish!

Keith Perkins
08-25-2013, 01:29 PM
LOL....That was many yearas ago and was an ACA show.....geez a man wears one dress to a show and he never hears the end of it......

-john

I'm taking on my fathers characteristics, not letting a lack of facts interfere with the telling of a good story. :) You may hear the end of it, but you'll have to outlive me. Seems like the last time I brought this up Pat found the picture and posted it, but I suppose she wasn't an admin then.

Second Hand Pat
08-25-2013, 01:55 PM
John included the picture in his member spotlight so he helps to continue this. :) Sorry John, it will be a long time before the dress goes away.
Pat

Keith Perkins
08-25-2013, 02:00 PM
John included the picture in his member spotlight so he helps to continue this. :) Sorry John, it will be a long time before the dress goes away.
Pat

That's a good solution to the problem of you being an admin now.

...geez a man wears one dress to a show and he never hears the end of it......

-john

Even though the "man" needs no introduction.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/Mvc-005f.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/Mvc-005f.jpg.html)

TNT77
08-25-2013, 02:58 PM

-john

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/Mvc-005f.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/Mvc-005f.jpg.html)
I still say you have the legs to pull that dress off very well John. It takes a true man to be comfortable in any sort of clothing doesn't it. ;)

Trubble
08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
That color is very becoming on you. I guess this means I need to read the forums more, because this is the first I've seen of that one.

sdrexler078
08-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Trying to decide from your comment if you saw the picture of John at the NADA show from a few years back or not. :confused::D:confused:

I'm not sure which one you're talking about but I bought some blue diamonds from john recently so if it was one of the pictures in his fish room then I did see it.

sdrexler078
08-25-2013, 03:30 PM
And I definitely don't remember a dress but I think a big picture of that would go good next to his picture of him and jack wattley. Haha

John_Nicholson
08-25-2013, 03:30 PM
I still say you have the legs to pull that dress off very well John. It takes a true man to be comfortable in any sort of clothing doesn't it. ;)

Thanks sweetheart.

-john

musicmarn1
08-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Im going, Texas is not that far from colorado !

Rudustin
08-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi, I've never been to a discus show but I surely will make plans for this one. I have been in the hobby for a while and have three tanks of discus but just expanded my housing for them with a brand new 125 gallon! I will be making a gradual transfer of my adults to the 125 this week. Only cardinals in there now. So, that show will be so exciting for me because I will have some vacant tank space. Whoo Hoo!!

farebox
08-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Hey people I recently joined NADA and new to discus keeping, planning to attend the convention in Austin, since only 65 miles south in San Antonio. Know nothing about this event, but willing to get into it. All info appreciated.
Thanks

yim11
08-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Hey people I recently joined NADA and new to discus keeping, planning to attend the convention in Austin, since only 65 miles south in San Antonio. Know nothing about this event, but willing to get into it. All info appreciated.
Thanks

Just come prepared to have a great time and meet lots of wonderful people. :)

We are constantly updating our site with as much info and details as we can - http://nadaaustin2014.com/

Look forward to seeing everyone next year!!
-jim

Moon
08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm out of discus now. But I'll be there just to say hello to some old friends and to make some new ones.
John you may have to shave and get a new dress for this show.

Fire-Ted
08-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Been into discus for about a year, aquariums in general, 3 1/2 decades. Thinking of attending and maybe entering a fish. I have a 10 month old red snakeskin I think may be worthy next summer.

I am trying to convince my wife this is a worthy vacation. I am also Wondering what the fish qualifications are and how to get them to Austin, I am in Nebraska.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

yim11
08-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Been into discus for about a year, aquariums in general, 3 1/2 decades. Thinking of attending and maybe entering a fish. I have a 10 month old red snakeskin I think may be worthy next summer.

I am trying to convince my wife this is a worthy vacation. I am also Wondering what the fish qualifications are and how to get them to Austin, I am in Nebraska.

Austin is a great town with lots to see and do, our hotel is in the heart of downtown so quick and easy to get to many attractions and areas, also great shopping for the wife. ;)

Few options on your fish - sounds like you are flying, you may want to call the airline you are ticketed with and ask them about the fish flying as cargo on your ticket. You may also want to ask about a carry on option. It's known that the TSA allows fish to be carried on (http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=live%20fish) but better known that this has not been consistently enforced or allowed at most airports. You can also ship the fish (FedEx/UPS/etc) to the hotel and we will hold the package until your arrival or put the fish in show tanks depending on what is requested.

Hope this helps,
-jim

Fire-Ted
08-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure we will attend pending finances. Just was not sure how to get the fish there, and know whether it was worthy of the trouble.

Thank you so much for the reply

Chicago Discus
08-25-2013, 09:22 PM
This is a very exciting event. Lots of great speakers and the great people of NADA put on a great show. You will talk discus, see men in dresses, have a pajama party (myself), learn police tactics, learn about hunting (John), laugh until it hurts, smoke cigars(Liz), learn that people are totally different off the Forums, see some great new products, make new friends, eat great food, see some amazing Discus which are mostly for sale after the show, see fish tanks set up in hotel rooms Tara :)( that was different you don't see that everyday) , watch people fall asleep during a speaker presentation( Skip), watch master photographer at work (Matt) spend time with cool people (Nicole), meet some very strange people LOL, hang out with the jersey boys (Rod and Bob) take two hours to get Pizza for everyone because you got lost, I can't wait to see all of you again and meet some new people.......Josie

John_Nicholson
08-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Fire-Ted bringing a fish mokes the show even better. As Jim said tal to your airlines and see if there is any additional fees for bringing your fish. if you decide to do it we can talk and I can give you some tips on the best way to handle the fish for shipping.

Moon damned proud to hear that you are going down. we did not get to talk near enough last time.

Josie can't wait to see you again.

-john

nwehrman
08-25-2013, 10:05 PM
All I can say is you don't want to miss it! I absolutely can not wait! After no sleep on Sat pm I may be up for Pajama Sunday also!!

Josie - you have a great way with words! We won't send you for pizza this time!

Nicole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Larry Bugg
08-25-2013, 10:33 PM
That was some dam good pizza......................or maybe I was just starved by then.

Chicago Discus
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
That was some dam good pizza......................or maybe I was just starved by then.

You had been working all morning and a bit stressed I think you were hungry LOL.....Josie

Discus-n00b
08-25-2013, 10:55 PM
have a pajama party (myself)

If I didn't see Josie walking around the hotel in pajamas after 12 noon I got worried.

watch people fall asleep during a speaker presentation( Skip)

LMAO!!!

It really is good putting faces to forum names and everyone is great to talk to.

yim11
08-25-2013, 11:09 PM
LMAO, great description Josie! I still contend that Dan wet himself when you had him in that hold, it was much deserved.

But there's a better Josie story that I can only tell in person at a show. ;)

nwehrman
08-25-2013, 11:47 PM
LMAO, great description Josie! I still contend that Dan wet himself when you had him in that hold, it was much deserved.

But there's a better Josie story that I can only tell in person at a show. ;)

Lol --- and just another example of why you need to be there!!!

Nicole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wrp
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
For those who may be traveling by air and are new to NADA:

Does the show usually provide oxygen and clean transport water for bagging fish at takedown or are the exhibitors responsible for making those arrangements?
Do participants usually bring their own heaters for their show tanks?

Thanks

Skip
09-06-2013, 09:55 AM
For those who may be traveling by air and are new to NADA:

Does the show usually provide oxygen and clean transport water for bagging fish at takedown or are the exhibitors responsible for making those arrangements?
Do participants usually bring their own heaters for their show tanks?

Thanks

People will have bags.. and there will be box from FISH that were DELIVERED to the show..

Stephen, Nicole and I.. all brought back fish via our airline flight back to Texas.. it has to go CARGO.. it was not a problem.. NADA will not be shipping them.. But there will be plenty of help for you..

the tanks for show fish will have Tank, Water, Heater and filter..

Second Hand Pat
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Skip, what about oxygen and clean transport water for bagging fish?

Skip
09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Skip, what about oxygen and clean transport water for bagging fish?

at this moment i am can not say NADA will supply it.. BUT in Atlanta.. Bags and O2 were there.. don't know who actually provided them.. and boxes

yim11
09-06-2013, 10:19 AM
NADA does not have any shipping supplies, but many people at the show will have extra bags/boxes/O2 for shipping. We can help you find people with extra supplies, or if you give one of the show committee folks a heads up on what you need we can try make those arrangements for you.

Thanks

wrp
09-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks, appreciate the information.

No problem with supplies but it is not feasible to transport oxygen cylinder on plane. Is it possible to arrange to rent a cylinder at show for bagging fish?

Warlock, are you sure there is no problem in shipping fish home by air cargo from Austin? I ask because both American (our flight) air cargo and Southwest air cargo refused any live fish this past Sunday out of Dallas. Apparently they have shipping restrictions based on temperature and it was too hot for them to accept our fish, even at night. I have no idea if this is a problem in Austin during June but it was a real problem in Dallas last Sunday, Sept 1. We ultimately had to have someone ship our fish FedEx Tuesday as air cargo was still refusing to accept live animals.

Again, appreciate the information.

Richard

yim11
09-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Very interesting, I don't ship AA but do sometimes SWA and have never seen that restriction. It's pretty hot here (Dallas/Ft Worth) right now so better safe than sorry maybe?

Hard to say what the weather will be next year lol but it's very safe to assume Austin will be hot, I don't think it will be DFW hot and if folks can't get fish out on Sun flights we'll do what we need to to assist with that.

Thanks

Thanks, appreciate the information.

No problem with supplies but it is not feasible to transport oxygen cylinder on plane. Is it possible to arrange to rent a cylinder at show for bagging fish?

Warlock, are you sure there is no problem in shipping fish home by air cargo from Austin? I ask because both American (our flight) air cargo and Southwest air cargo refused any live fish this past Sunday out of Dallas. Apparently they have shipping restrictions based on temperature and it was too hot for them to accept our fish, even at night. I have no idea if this is a problem in Austin during June but it was a real problem in Dallas last Sunday, Sept 1. We ultimately had to have someone ship our fish FedEx Tuesday as air cargo was still refusing to accept live animals.

Again, appreciate the information.

Richard

Discus-Hans
09-10-2013, 03:44 AM

NO NO NO NOT THE DRESS!!!!!!!!!

Now imagine, 2003, you come all the way from Holland to visit a fish show in the USA. First a drive "from hell" from Washington DC to Cincinnati, I think it took us 24 hours, if not...... it felt like 48. We brought together the racks, the Discus etc upstairs to the room and in 5 seconds everybody was gone to beer, bar, alcohol and some other things. I was the only one left in the room, now I was there with my Discus so first care....... my Discus.

Me pissed (because rest was gone) laying under a rack, putting air lines together. Door goes open, first thought, finally some help, look from under the rack, see some lady pumps and a pair of very hairy legs........ look up, a blue dress, little higher a mustache.........
A voice says Hi ..... who you think I'm??? to be honest...... I was scared at that moment for that psycho......... without the dress, John and I became friends for life.

Lot of the "old" Discus people I met at that show, Willy, Mat (Larry), Randy + Tracey, Mench, Anand, Steve, Cary, etc etc etc, gosh, so many people I only knew from the forums. At that show I made more or less my decision, I'm going to move to the USA,

Hans

John_Nicholson
09-10-2013, 08:35 AM
LOL....I remember that. I was trying to get there before everyone bugged out....I guess I am getting old though because I cannot remember the room number.....for those that don't know it was quite famous for a while...

-john

Skip
09-10-2013, 09:45 AM

no, i am not sure.. i don't work for the airlines.. you will have to contact the airline you plan on using.. we flew out of HOT-lanta to Austin..
everyone pretty much makes things happen at the convention.. i wasn't expecting to get any fish at all.. until Sunday at the auction, literally 2 hours before flying out... i picked up 3.. we made it happen there with help from others..

Discus-Hans
09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
LOL....I remember that. I was trying to get there before everyone bugged out....I guess I am getting old though because I cannot remember the room number.....for those that don't know it was quite famous for a while...

-john

John, have to look up the T-shirt think it was 1401????

Hans

John_Nicholson
09-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Some folks had asked about getting the rooms for an additional night at our out of this world price...well we have good news....The hotel has set a limited block of rooms aside for us, but I would not wait too long.

-john

Skip
09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Some folks had asked about getting the rooms for an additional night at our out of this world price...well we have good news....The hotel has set a limited block of rooms aside for us, but I would not wait too long.

-john

cant wait to sit in the Executive Chair during the speeches :)

Disgirl
09-11-2013, 11:37 AM

-john

Just did my reservation, I needed an extra night so thanks for letting us know John. Hope you are getting lots of reservations so far!?
Barb

musicmarn1
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I AM going to this I have not been to Texas yet but being from CO it's too close not to go.

Don't hold back on your opinions! We need less Pc and more honesty! Ppl can still go off and choose but a strong warning is often needed.

John_Nicholson
09-13-2013, 12:29 PM
For the folks that want to make a vacation out of the trip the hill country is great. Over labor day the family and I went to enchanted rock state park. It is about 90 miles west of Austin. I forget the exact height but it is a giant hunk of pink granite. It is estimated to be a billion years old and is thought to be the inside of a volcano that never erupted. It has been considered an magical, enchanted place by my Native American ancestors for thousands of years. Would make a great day trip from Austin. It is also only about 16 miles from Fredericksburg which is a tourist/shopping destination in its own right. Here are a "few" pictures...LOL.

-john

Youngest daughter doing a little rock climbing.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01095205_zpse70a936c.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01095205_zpse70a936c.jpg.html)

About 1/2 way up the rock stopped to take a little break.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01100027_zps5fd34139.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01100027_zps5fd34139.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01100033_zps292634f3.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01100033_zps292634f3.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01100039_zps86179cd8.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01100039_zps86179cd8.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01100049_zps2491219b.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01100049_zps2491219b.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01100059_zpsa6ebf207.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01100059_zpsa6ebf207.jpg.html)

Now on the top. Views are great.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101415_zps3ab10385.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101415_zps3ab10385.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101421_zpsab5aae3e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101421_zpsab5aae3e.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101426_zps923396f6.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101426_zps923396f6.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101434_zpsda601529.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101434_zpsda601529.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101439_zps4d3c2de4.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101439_zps4d3c2de4.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101445_zps3138cf26.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101445_zps3138cf26.jpg.html)

Looking over the back drop off. I had a women here at work that is not from Texas ask why the State did not put up some kind of hard rail to make it more safe...I told her that this was Texas. We figured that is someone was dumb enough to walk over the edge then we had probably done the world a service. Not sure she really understood what I meant....LOL.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101755_zpsd466a783.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101755_zpsd466a783.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101800_zpsf5ca80ba.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101800_zpsf5ca80ba.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101806_zpscf6c0679.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101806_zpscf6c0679.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101809_zpscf41258f.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101809_zpscf41258f.jpg.html)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/2013-09-01101814_zpsc20f1eae.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/DiscusJohn/media/2013-09-01101814_zpsc20f1eae.jpg.html)

The park is filled with lots of native wildlife. Including deer, bats, and more birds that I could list.

Second Hand Pat
09-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Gorgeous John, so Texas is more then a big empty and thank god a hand rail was not installed on the rock face.

Discus-n00b
09-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Rattlesnakes! lol

John_Nicholson
09-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Pat it is a great park to visit. Matt I have now hunted the hill country for over 10 years and have never seen one...and I have looked...LOL.

-john

nwehrman
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Good pics John!

Disgirl
09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
How beautiful! Never heard of pink granite, bet it is really something to see. I am familiar with the black, white, and gray of the Sierras and Rockies. I have some in one of my tanks, from Yosemite.
Barb

Chicago Discus
09-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Made my reservations for the event but I needed a little larger room as I don't pack light LOL...but I did tell them that I was with the NADA group......Josie

Skip
09-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Barb.. that granite is only found in texas.. our entire capital is made of that stuff.. and it taller than cap. At D C

yim11
09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Matt I have now hunted the hill country for over 10 years and have never seen one...and I have looked...LOL.

-john

They are all on our ranch, I'll bring some back for you.

Discus-n00b
09-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Bump gotta keep interest stirred up! So everyone can plan ahead! My hotel room just got reserved, will be doing show/banquet registration soon.

Larry Bugg
09-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Well I have my hotel, Show registration and banquet.

Disgirl
10-01-2013, 04:21 PM
How about if we start a list of who's going? Either in this thread or a new one? I will be there for sure!
Barb

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Also need to post some pictures from the last show...like a who's who.

LizStreithorst
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I had not thought about staying another night. I might do it this time. At the last NADA I was up till 4 am the last night boozing and bullshitting with all the other drinking, smoking, Discus idiots. Then got up at 6 to bag fish and drive 6 hours home. It was worth it. I managed it fine, but the next day home was wasted sleeping. Day after that I was back to work. I take a vacation only once every 2 years, to go to NADA. This time around I think I'll give myself more recovery time.

John_Nicholson
11-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Ok folks there is not near enough excitement going on about NADA. I know that people that have been to NADA's past will br there but I would love to see more excitement and discussion from those that will be there for the first time. IN an effort to get conversion started I have decided that when I catch a break here at work I will be posting on some of the other activities that the area has to offer. This is a show that you can bring the entire family to for a vacation and they will love it....

Lets start with t he worlds best water park for the last 16 years. This place has something for everyone including water slide roller coasters...hard to explain but a blast to ride. The thing that makes this place so special is the same thing that makes discus healthy.....its all about the water! The Comal river is the shortest in America. From the springs where is starts to where it merges with anouth river is only 2.5 miles but since the river comes from an underground spring the water is crystal clear. The water is pumped from the river and though the park where it just flows back to the river.....that means no chlorine to burn your eyes or nose. Also will not affect you hair color...LOL. The website is not great but the park is out of this world. Here is the link. Might not be quite as much fun as NADA but it will be damned close...

-john

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/nb/

John_Nicholson
11-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Next set of cool family things to do while at NADA.....CAVES!!!!!

The hill country is filled with caves. Some have been used by the confederate arny and some but famous old west outlaws and all are really cool. Here are a couple of links...

http://www.longhorncaverns.com/

http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/%28S%28tb3bub45pi1gfx55htydt545%29%29/Index.aspx

John_Nicholson
11-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Ok this week lets highlight the snake farm. It is a really cool place. Here is the link to the place and a link to a song about the place. The sone is fictional and written by the legendary Texas singer/songwriter Ray Wylie Hubbard. He also wrote Red Neck Mother.

-john

http://www.exoticanimalworld.com/index.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNWPUFNA2U

nwehrman
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Lol. ... That's great John! I've never heard that song before! All those places John has mentioned are great places! Extend your trip and see some sights while you are here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 12:15 PM
You can also come to San Antonio and see where Bigfoot was shoot. All you have to do is buy some ribs from the local wal mart.........:crazy:
http://digitaljournal.com/article/343703:

nc0gnet0
11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
You can also come to San Antonio and see where Bigfoot was shoot. All you have to do is buy some ribs from the local wal mart.........
http://digitaljournal.com/article/343703:

Has to be an alien......

yim11
11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Has to be an alien......

LMAO

ericatdallas
11-21-2013, 02:36 PM
So I want to go but I don't know how I can go to Texas without going to Dallas... my mother would be upset. But I do need to renew my driver's license...

John_Nicholson
11-21-2013, 03:25 PM
So I want to go but I don't know how I can go to Texas without going to Dallas... my mother would be upset. But I do need to renew my driver's license...

Come in a coupl eof days early. Visit all of us up here and take the short 3 hour drive to Austin.

-john

ericatdallas
11-21-2013, 05:45 PM
That's a tempting idea...

John_Nicholson
11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
There are 6 or 8 of us that are fairly active on Simple and several of us do a little bit of breeding. Might make the extra driving worth it.

-john

Skip
11-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Eric.. Dallas is the DISCUS Capital of the USA

nwehrman
11-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Just remember the cool folks will be in Austin on Thursday setting up for the coolest show in the United States.

dkeef
11-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Eric.. Dallas is the DISCUS Capital of the USA

how did this come to be? :)

John_Nicholson
11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
how did this come to be? :)

Many years ago I started doing everything that I could to grow the discus hobby around here and then there was also some luck. DFW is a very large metropolitian area. Not sure how many hobbyist breeders we have but it is quite a few.

-john

dkeef
11-21-2013, 09:15 PM
hope to move there in near future...

john, does that mean its easy to see good quality adult sized discus for sale locally often?
and not always waiting on sponsors list?

John_Nicholson
11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
It just depends. Sometimes they seem to be everywhere and then the next month none at all. Since most of the people are hobbyist it is boom or bust.

-john

dkeef
11-21-2013, 09:21 PM
well here in cali, u rarely see good dicus for sale except some ppl from simply locally who got from sponsors.
but in Craigslist FS are very low quality ones...

Rockeyng
11-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Cant wait.:P

Discusdude7
11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Just curious..if I decided to bring a fish to the show but I can't drive there because it's too far how do I bring it? Plus I have no clue how to ship..

BODYDUB
11-30-2013, 04:27 PM
On the airplane with you. There's many who have done it, ill let them give you the details.............

Discus-n00b
12-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok so, Texans. I'm looking for some good places photography wise while in town. Just wanted to gauge your knowledge and recommendations as well as ask a few questions for those I've found so far.

-Looking close to the Palmer Events Center there seems to be a park (Auditorium Shores?) surrounding it which afford good views of the skyline across the river and a nice fountain there. Are these places accessible at night? Better yet, is it safe at night? Is the fountain there lit up most nights?
-Mt. Bonnell. After dark? Read that it closes at 10? Relatively safe after dark? Heard its good for sunsets.
-Loop 360 pennybacker bridge, worth it? Skip it? Heard its also good for sunsets.
-Texas Capital grounds open at night? Will I get harassed for walking around the state house at night taking photos?

What else do I need to see and/or photograph while there? What about between here and South Carolina, anyone in those parts have any suggestions? haha I'm really considering going out towards the hill country somewhere in search of dark skies so I can so some star photography but don't know if that's going to happen yet or not.

John_Nicholson
12-03-2013, 06:32 PM
DiscusDude7 we can help walk you though shipping. It is not that hard.

Matt Can't help you on those places but if you want to take some pictures of wildlife the hill country is the place to be.

-john

Skip
12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Matt.. contact these people..

http://www.precision-camera.com/

they have been in austin for a LONG TIME.. they speak your language

yim11
12-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Really looking forward to having Matt at the show!!! Always a pleasure working with a true professional, he was a slave driver in Atlanta lol but it was well worth it once we saw all the amazing pics. Thank you sir!!!!

nwehrman
12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Matt - I asked a friend into photography and she said the Loop 360 bridge (ie PennyPacker bridge) and Auditorium Shores across from the long center have amazing views and should not be missed.

The capital is gorgeous to shoot also - and I have an in with security so I will ask about it tonight!

Ashamed to admit it's been a while since I went to Mt Bonnell, so I have no clue! But wasn't John Nicholson there recently.

Nicole

John_Nicholson
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Nicole I was at Enchanted rock.

-john

John_Nicholson
12-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Continuing on my post of things to do while here....Anyone that likes music should look into Austin City Limits. The show has been on TV forever around here but I have no clue is the rest of the country gets it or not. Anyway here is the link. I am not sure how hard it is to get tickets...

-john

http://acl-live.com/

nwehrman
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
That's right John - couldn't remember

Discus-n00b
12-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Really looking forward to having Matt at the show!!! Always a pleasure working with a true professional, he was a slave driver in Atlanta lol but it was well worth it once we saw all the amazing pics. Thank you sir!!!!

Thanks, I'm making a couple of adjustments on my end to hopefully make things go a bit smoother than the last time! And of course hoping for better pictures haha.

Matt - I asked a friend into photography and she said the Loop 360 bridge (ie PennyPacker bridge) and Auditorium Shores across from the long center have amazing views and should not be missed.

The capital is gorgeous to shoot also - and I have an in with security so I will ask about it tonight!

Ashamed to admit it's been a while since I went to Mt Bonnell, so I have no clue! But wasn't John Nicholson there recently.

Nicole

Thanks! I guess my homework paid off.

Nicole I was at Enchanted rock.

-john

I looked at going out to enchanted rock but everything I can find shows it being a park with certain hours as well and I guess short of camping there, theres no real way to get there for night photography short of sneaking in. Heck, with everything being bigger in Texas not sure I want to go trekking alone through back country filled with giant rattlesnakes, coyote, and chupacabra anyway. The state of Texas does honor a SC CWP though....:antlers:

John_Nicholson
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Ok time for my weekly vacation planning suggestion......

It is probably an hour or so down to San Antonio so if you like amusement parks check out....

https://www.sixflags.com/fiestatexas

I have to say that I have not been to this one but have heard good things about it.

-john

dragon1974
12-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Will work on getting my passport stamped from the Wife this weekend.
@John, man you are one sexy beast.....Hope to see everyone there

John_Nicholson
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
And since i mentioned S.A. I figured this one needs to be listed....I mean who could forget?

-john

http://thealamo.org/

John_Nicholson
01-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Since my last post was on S.A. I decided to stay on that theme....

For the romantic folks nothing better than taking your significant other to....

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

-john

Skip
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
AUSTIN AQUARIUM (http://www.austinaquarium.com/)

Brand new.. just opened.. it is always PACKED when i drive by it everyday on my commute.. :) Check out the link..

ericatdallas
01-02-2014, 03:39 PM
What's usually auctioned off? I'm like 50/50 on it right now. Got the wife to give me the thumbs-up but debating whether I want to 1) Go to Vegas instead 2) Go to NADA Show via Dallas or Austin and finally how many days to stay.

John_Nicholson
01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Easy answer NADA all the way. You can go to Vegas and lose money anytime but NADA only happens once every 2 years. In the past several show fish have been sold. Not sure of the plans this year. Most are now selling their show fish before the auction so there was not really a need for it.

-john

Skip
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
In the past several show fish have been sold. Not sure of the plans this year. Most are now selling their show fish before the auction so there was not really a need for it.

ain't that the truth..

some of the show fish were sold on THURSDAY not very long after being in the tank.. LOL..

by Saturday.. i am guessing.. about 75% were already sold.. and the prices were pretty darn good!!

amazing experience.. !!

John_Nicholson
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
For all of the late night folks...6th street in Austin is becoming world famous.

-john

http://6street.com/

Cambik
01-17-2014, 01:17 PM
I finally made my Hotel Reservations. Yeah I know I live in Austin but I am still going to stay at the hotel so that I don't miss all the fun.

John_Nicholson
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I finally made my Hotel Reservations. Yeah I know I live in Austin but I am still going to stay at the hotel so that I don't miss all the fun.

Smart decision.

-john

Cambik
01-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Smart decision.

-john

Yeah its a 30 minute drive to the hotel from the house. I took the whole week off so I will be able to move things around. I only have thurs - Sun night at the hotel though....figure Wed night isn't that big of a deal to drive.... Oh also got my Show registration and banquet and that is now showing correct info BTW.

Stephen

dragon1974
01-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Will work on getting my passport stamped from the Wife this weekend.
@John, man you are one sexy beast.....Hope to see everyone there

Well, the wife didn't say no....Hoping to have a full confirmed yes within the next couple weeks. Hope they still have rooms when I'm ready to book. Is anyone from Toronto, ontario making the Tx run?

Skip
01-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Well, the wife didn't say no....Hoping to have a full confirmed yes within the next couple weeks. Hope they still have rooms when I'm ready to book. Is anyone from Toronto, ontario making the Tx run?

Bring Mayor Ford with ya!!

http://wpmedia.o.canada.com/2013/04/z6ksgq.gif

John_Nicholson
01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
We had several Canadians at the last show. Not sure who all is coming this time.

-john

P.S. and you can leave Ford at home....LOL.

Bill63SG
01-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Banner on Simply is saying 22nd-24th