PDA

View Full Version : What is going on

Oneten
08-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Can anyone please tell me what is going on with my 2 discus, they have been locking lips and a bit of shaking. Is that paring up r just a big fight what ever it is its been going on for about 2 weeks now...... can anyone help thankx.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hwFmasjnA

musicmarn1
08-25-2013, 04:42 PM
i vote love match ! hahah not flapping their tales against each other which was the worst hate match i saw with lip locking, but im new so waiting for others to put me straight :)

Skip
08-25-2013, 04:49 PM
they are fighting

Chicago Discus
08-25-2013, 05:03 PM
They don't like the angel fish in there ..LOL.....no it's just a little aggression ..........Josie

DonMD
08-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I agree, they are sparring for dominance. If you have only two discus, unless they are a mated pair, one will usually harass the other one continually.

Oneten
08-25-2013, 06:02 PM
The Blood Pigeon is a proven male I had the female but she pass away and got the this galaxy turquoiseo which is a proven female, dont know for sure but the guy say it is. they are in there together for about 2 weeks now

strawberryblonde
08-25-2013, 06:29 PM
So far they are still fighting, so whether or not they will decide to get along is anyone's guess.

Just so that you know ahead of time - if they do pair up and produce eggs, you won't want to keep the fry. A pigeon blood should always be paired with another pigeon blood for mating purposes.

Oneten
08-25-2013, 07:16 PM
y should pigeon blood only pair with pigeon blood

strawberryblonde
08-25-2013, 07:26 PM
A pigeon blood discus is one who has had the black bars bred out. The tall vertical black bars that you see on your turquoise... and don't see on your pigeon blood.

When you cross a pigeon blood with a standard domestic discus, like the turquoise, you will get discus with a LOT of dark black pepper spots all over them, mostly on their faces but also quite a lot on their bodies. It isn't desirable to have that peppering.

Oneten
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
ok seen

Crunchy
08-25-2013, 09:36 PM
That's how discus determine who's boss of the house!

BODYDUB
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
They're probably pissed at each other cause the water is cloudy.................

Allwin
08-27-2013, 01:32 PM
:bandana: LOL!!! Someone is trying to get the boss seat here, but u never know aggression can ends with forced love sometimes :balloon:

They're probably pissed at each other cause the water is cloudy.................

camuth8
08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Just one of the them wanting to be a boss. Could be 2 males fighting for territory.

musicmarn1
08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Ahhhh well i have the exact same thing in the community discus tank (no other species in mine) so i thought they might be pairing, they hang out together but one looks more stressed than the other so must be getting dominated, i dont want to move a big discus in with the smaller ones....hmmm have to think about this now ! question - does anyone start another tank just so you can have several the same size *kinda joking* after quarantine of course ! and second question, i have several but not many in a 125 they are grouped to be about the same size, should i add in more similar sized to take the heat off the one or move the bullied one to the 2" discus grow out tank? first ill move the bully for a few days he is only picking on one fish but he hangs out by him every chance he gets, no clue what the sex of each are.

arielfe
08-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I am new to the Forum, I am setting up a 72 gallons tank for Discus, per the others recommendation is really important to have more than two Discus, my plan is to have about 4 to 6 of the same size..... and also per what I learn today should be careful when selecting the type of Discuss too.....
Thank for sharing the Video was very illustrative.

Oneten
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
There are much better than the video I posted, look like they starting to settle down now. The blood pigeon is a proven male I had the female but she left him and i buy the galaxy turquoiseo from a man who breed discus and he was 100% sure he sell mi a female. all i got to do is wait.

afriend
08-28-2013, 05:56 PM
My guess is that it is both. None of the paired fish that I've had go thru the mouth-to-mouth bit, but other motion is just like mating behavior: swimming together side by side, the little "dance" that each displays to the other, and the body shaking.

Paul