PDA

View Full Version : How do you achieve and maintain a stable pH?

hon
08-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I have been keeping artificial discus using a simple sponge filter and water dripping/overflow system with daily 100% water displacement. The untreated water from the tap has pH about 8.0 and is very soft (close to 0 KH). The tank water has been stabilized at around pH 7-7.2 ( I think it is due to biofiltration action). The discus are doing fine and spawning which is not a surprise as these fish have been bred and raised in the same water for generations.

I am thinking of keeping some wild Heckels and some wild royal blues. From what I can understand, the heckels do best in pH around 5.0. I am thinking of a way to reduce and maintain the pH at 5.0 for these wild Heckels. My job does not allow a regular daily manual water change except by the water dripping/overflow system. Here are several options that I have in mind:

Option 1: Just keep the wild discus same as my artificial discus which is the easiest way for me. But this also means the Heckels will not be in the best condition.

Option 2: Install a canister filter (for its large biofiltration capacity) and reduce water change to once a week (which I can easily manage). Using a storage tank, I will store some aged water and condition the water using peat to lower to pH to around 5.0. I will also keep a heater to make sure the new water has some temperature and pH as the tank water. I will do a weekly 50% WC (I fear that too much WC in a time will stress the fish).

Option 3: Use a dripping/overflow system but with reduced dripping rate. (may be 30% total tank volume a day?) Use sponge filter in tank to provide bio filtration and at the same time use a canister filter with only peat in it to lower the pH. This is a trial and error method as the peat filtration is hard to control to obtain a fixed pH.

What would you do? I would love to hear if someone has an automatic WC and pH control system in action.

Thank you.

vendetta
08-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I think the option 2 is the best; actually I mainting my discus fish using that, canister filter with two water changes peer wheen, each of 20%.

I don't use any automatic mechanism to pH control. I use products to stablish in 6.4-6.6 for domestic discus and 5.5 for wilds.

Cullymoto
08-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi,

I think the option 2 is the best; actually I mainting my discus fish using that, canister filter with two water changes peer wheen, each of 20%.

I don't use any automatic mechanism to pH control. I use products to stablish in 6.4-6.6 for domestic discus and 5.5 for wilds.

Watch these products as many are not compatible with plants.

If your okay with investing into storage tank, extra heater etc.... Just spend the same amount on an r/o with the output you need and set it up as a drip system (sounds like your familiar with those) with this setup you'll need to carefully boost kh once or twice daily.
My r/o water comes at 0 kh, 0gh, and 6 ph. Tap is 90kh, 200gh, and 8.2ph
Bulk reef supply (website) has a great r/o unit.

hon
08-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Thank you vendette and cullymoto for your valuable input. Cullymoto, your suggestion sounds interesting. I am not familiar with ro system. My tap water is already 0kh and 0gh just a high pH of 8.0. Will ro work with my tap water to produce drip of pH6 or lower?
Will the pH of an ro unit stable?
What product do you use to increase the kh?
Thanks

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4

Cullymoto
08-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Ro is quite easy to install. My ph has remained stable, I do not see why yours wouldn't.
You can buy to units with different outputs. Make sure you get one rated for a little more output than you will need.
There are many products that boost kh. Many more that add necessary minerals to ro water.
I use discus essentials trace minerals and kent ph stable every water change.
On a drip system it can be a challenge to modify your water since it is always being changed. In my opinion You would have to make small doses at least a couple times a day to avoid shocking the fish.

hon
08-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Thank you again for the reply.
If I put some crush coral in the canister filter, will it stabilize kh while maintain a low pH from the ro water?

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4