PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question about a flaring gill

Madaboutdiscus
08-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Ok so I have 5 baby discus a little over 3 months old. 3 reds breeder called super red and 2 cobalts. My tank params are good water changes daily 20% 40 gallon column tank barebottom with aquaclear 110. Temp is 87. Noticed the symptoms on sat. So one of my reds has started gill flaring. Just one gill breathing normally through the other one. Its always done crazy stuff like swim upside down and head down or up but always ate like crazy and always was able to right itself and swim fine. I noticed on sat that one gill is flaring but the other is fine and breathing through it normally. Did a water change dosed the whole tank with prime and the new water also. Fish still eats and is good color it had tirned orange presumably theyre getting theyre color. Other 2 reds are turning orange also. Diet is frozen beefheart with granules too. The fish isnt flashing or doing anything else really. There is air in the tank also. What could be the problem? Gill flukes or something else? Nobody else is displaying any symptoms. Oh and thd gill doesnt look inflamed and the filaments are nice red color with no mucous or anything on them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Madaboutdiscus
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Bump...

troysdiiscus
08-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Hey, fiil out the disease questionare and add some pics..

blueluv
08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey, fiil out the disease questionare and add some pics..

+1

Madaboutdiscus
08-27-2013, 07:47 AM
I think ive decided they have flukes. They're shimmying now and the one flaring was rubbing itself into the heater cord last night. Since theres not much in there they can rub on its either the heater cord or the filter intake and they stay away from that mostly. Plus the inside of the glass is cloudy even though its cleaned every water change.

Madaboutdiscus
08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Please complete thus questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
One gill flaring. Noticed 3 days ago. Eating normally breathing from the other gill normally. Seems to possibly be rubbing itself on the heater cord and hangs in the bubbles a lot.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Gill flaring possible flashing

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None yet. Healthy dose of Prime and water change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

40 gallon column. 5 3 month old juvies about 3 inches
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

20% daily
6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
tank running 6 months, barebottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
use regular tap water ph stays pretty much the same

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___87__

- ph __7.2___

- ammonia reading __2 ppm but use a strip test so its kinda inaccurate__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

no
10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
dont have pics right now but can get some

Madaboutdiscus
08-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Nobody else seems to have symptoms except maybe body shimmies somewhat. Everybodys eating normally. Wrote the ammonia wrong. Its about .10 ppm but like I said I have a test strip kit which is probably inaccurate.

Madaboutdiscus
08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I will start by increasing wc % and go from there. Im gonna order some prazi to have on hand just in case. Seems like the best option right now as I cant afford to lose my bacterial bed. But I am moving to the other tank hopefully this weekend. The new lid is coming in tomorrow. So I can move them and if no improvement start treatment I guess and see what happens.