PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly sure my discus is diseased...

Mep1127
08-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
My diamond blue discus has turned pretty dark. He is still eating and acting normal, just darker than he once was. He was mating with another discus at one point but not anymore.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Normal, except the change in color. Noticed his poop is not the usual brown lump, he is pooping very tiny pieces of dark/black poop.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Changing water 50% every 3 days.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon, all discus I've owned for a year. I have 6 of them. 1 bristle nose pleco and 4 lemon tetras.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Changing water 35% every 2 days (this is normal for me)

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

about a year & 7 months. It is bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I do not age my water, my PH from tap has been a consistent 6.4 always after adding prime or safe.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _82-83F____

- ph __6.4___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading ___0_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

just a baby bristle nose pleco and some anubias (already passed QT)

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

musicmarn1
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
pictures?

troysdiiscus
08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
something is irrating him and my first guess would be water quality. Dont know what size fish you have I am guessing probably almost adult size or adult not sure, not sure how much your feeding. I would increase my WC think 35% in two days isnt enough with the number you have and the few dither fish you have. I would do atleast 50% a day for about a week to see if that is the cause. Just my opinion, certainly waite and see what others think....

Mep1127
08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Bumping this thread. He seems ok but I'll up the water changes, just did a 50% a few hours ago. I'll be cleaning the filter over the weekend. Might possible dose with Epsom to check off constipation.

Tormentor
09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
I had the same problem with my diamond, and he too was mating with another one. What I did is to make huge water changes of 80% daily for a week or so, I also scraped off all the algea and slippery stuff from all the sides as much as I could and vacuum the substrate. After I would say three to fur days his normal color came back. Hope that helps. Keep us updated.

timmy82
09-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Start with water as you have there maybe something different that the local water treatment mob has done recently that our normal test wont show? Epson salt is always good too most my tanks will get a little every 6 weeks or so and a big clean. Have you changed any of your food or something new? I find that if they don't get the FDBW & BH mix and rely too much on granuals and flake feed that can bloat them a little so epson salt should clear it out.