PDA

View Full Version : Gill flaring

Madaboutdiscus
08-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Please complete this questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE
Having a problem with my 3 inch juvie red discus. One gill flaring the other gill is fine. Seems to want to hang in the top or in the bubble curtain. Always done silly stuff like swim upside down but always righted itself when it wanted. Seems to be swimming upside down more often since the problem started or lying on its side at the top of the water. Still eating normally though. No others seem affected except possibly some body shimmying occasionally more noticeable when food is involved though.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Noticed the symptoms Saturday nothing new went on to maybe cause it.
2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Flaring one gill, breathing normally through the other. Seemed to be rubbing itself on the heater cord possibly. Some body shimmying no others have symptoms except some shimmying. All are eating well.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
None.. dosed tank with prime and did a water change. No change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

40 gallon column tank. 5 juvie discus 3 inches
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
Daily 20 %

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
About 8 months. Barebottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
Use tap water no ph swing except possibly +.2 from tap.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ___87__

- ph ___7.2__

- ammonia reading __.10 ppm__

- nitrite reading 0____

- nitrate reading __10__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water yes____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
No

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
None now but will take some when I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Chicago Discus
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I think I need a little video of the fish, you can do it with a phone and then post to this thread. IMO your not getting the maximum growth potential out of these discus because of the small water changes your doing. you should be doing minimum of 60-80% which will probably clear up the gill issue as well. make sure you have pre-filters on all your intakes that get cleaned daily and you wipe the tank walls and bottom very well. something sounds like a little water quality issue and something is irritating the fish I would start aging your water its not for PH changes.......Josie

Chicago Discus
08-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Here is me cleaning a 40g tank with juvies this is what I do if this helps.....Josie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8pxlqtcPo

Chicago Discus
08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
same fish months later after doing this everyday.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwDdBU-t3w

Madaboutdiscus
08-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Oh shoot I cant watch it on mobile ill try later. I did get some pics theyre not good but got some anyway. We changed about half the water last night. I really have no way to age the water. I did do a test the ph had not changed before we changed the water on sat when I first noticed the problem. But we will start upping the % changed. Wed been doing about 15 gallons changed out of a 40 g last night we did 20 g. They did seem to perk up some no change in the flaring though. I do have one seems its not eating but its the bottom rung so it could be theyre not letting it. The other blue one is the biggest and it bosses everyone around and will actually sit above the food and run anybody off that gets near. Theyre getting moved to the 56 g this week. The new lid is here today so hopefully thatll help the bullying and the growth. The biggest one is about 3.5 the rest are around 3. Heres some pics wont let me upload vid from here. The one flaring is the brighter orange one. Excuse the mess this was feeding time before wc.

Chicago Discus
08-28-2013, 12:41 PM
could be the angle of the photo but looks like a short gill plate to me.......Josie

Madaboutdiscus
08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Would it suddenly be flaring though after all this time? Ive never dealth with that before but its only the one side. Ill see if I can get a better pic too.

Madaboutdiscus
08-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Status update this morning the red had that gill clamped but started using it when it started eating. The blue that wasnt eating is eating now in fact ate from my hand. The red doesnt look any worse for wear still eating and such but the gill is still flaring. Still breathing normally through the other one though.

Madaboutdiscus
09-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Just wanted to give an update here. I treated with 2 doses of quick cure per the breeders suggestion. 1 week after the last treatment they all seem to be doing much better especially the one with the flaring gill. The gills still flaring but its not hiding behind the filter tube as much and is hanging with the rest more. It had almost quit eating so it has stunted itself but its starting to eat again slowly. The rest arent hiding under the heater as much anymore and are actually coming to the front of the tank again when they see me. I had moved them to the 56 last weekend too so they were a little sulky too about the move. But everyone seems a little happier now and hopefully the flukes if thats what they were dont come back.