PDA

View Full Version : New to discuss powerphoto Questionnaire

Powerphoto
08-28-2013, 12:53 PM
This questionnaire may be used to either help you to describe your new tank setup for discus or
be a “food for thought” checklist while you consider what your goals are with your new discus tank

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Answer - My name is Shane and I have kept saltwater tanks and reef tanks for the past 15-20 years, I have bred and raised clownfish. I currently have a 30 g reef clownfish tank.
I have a empty 120 g sump setup I would like to turn into a planted discus tank

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

Answer - I have no previous experience with discus but have read all the stickies and have done a bunch of research.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

Answer - I have a empty 120g tank, I believe it's 6 feet long by 24 inches high, it has two over flows. Right now it is empty, I am looking to turn it into a display discus tank with live plants.

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Answer - I would like to have pebbles as a substrate, wood, rocks, and plants.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

Answer - Coming from a ref tank I would do a 25-50% water change either weekly or bi weekly

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Answer - I have a sump pump set up, with heaters of course and I have many different types of lighting, compact mostly

7) N/A

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Answer - I would like to have 10-20 discus , a bunch of neon tetras for the kids and some plecos, suggestions greatly welcome, and I do not have a place to purchase the discus, suggestions also greatly welcome.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

Answer - Suggestions??

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

Answer - My goals for this tank are to setup a amazing viewing tank and experience for my kids and my family to enjoy, I would in the future as I did with the clownfish is to try and breed successfully ..

Thanks

Shane