PDA

View Full Version : Considering discus

brandon parry
08-30-2013, 11:15 PM
I have a 55 gallon that is currently planted and stocked with 20 cardinals, 9 sterba's, and 4 ottos. I do water changes 50% weekly, tank runs at 82-84, and is filtered by a fluval 306. Last I tested my ph was neutral at 7.0 and I am not sure on hardness. My question is, I am considering getting 4"-5" discus and am wondering if they will be big enough for a planted tank also would it be better to start off with a group of 5 or would 2 be fine for about a month and then adding more slowly? Whatever I add would be quarantined although I am not sure what size tank would be adequate to use as quarantine tank. Any help would be appreciated.

Poco
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Welcome to SD Brandon!

Your tank is on a smaller size for what you want to do. 4"-5" discus still have a bit to grow and they wont grow well in the planted tank. I you can get another tank may be a 65g and keep discus in a bare bottom tank. They will also need more water changes than weekly 50%, more like 50% every other day if not everyday.

Good luck!

Trier20
08-31-2013, 02:26 AM
Welcome to SD! I agree with Babar. I would probably lose the ottos though as they are known to eat the slime coat off the discus(I've seen it happen). Planted tanks aren't really great for growing out so a 5" fish would probably be your best bet here.

warblad79
08-31-2013, 02:44 AM
50% weekly changes is not good enough.

Crunchy
08-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Go with adults 5++ inches, and it can work. Agree with others, otos are not so friendly to discus. Twice weekly 50% water change, little feedings twice a day will be ok for adults in a planted tank.

brandon parry
08-31-2013, 09:37 AM
So 5" or bigger and more water changes. What about adding 2 to start then more as I go and what size tank would be good for quarantine?

Trubble
08-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Discus are shoaling fish and do better in groups of 5 or more.

jmf3460
08-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Brandon,
I agree and disagree with people that have already answered. I agree that you should go with 5" discus or more, this just helps in that you wont have to do as many water changes. I have all adult discus and only change 30% every three days and all fish are very healthy and fine. I do disagree with the otto comments. I have had ottos with discus for a long time and have never had problems with the ottos sucking the slime coat off of them. As long as your ottos have plenty to eat (algae, cucumbers zucchini) they wont bother the discus. There are plenty of people who keep ottos with discus and have no problems. Just search for the threads about "ottos with discus" about your planted tank, is it super planted? Make sure there is plenty of swimming room for the discus. They will be big and wont thrive if they are cramped in by all the plants. You might have to change from stem plants to root plants like swords, crypts and anubias because the stems make it hard to vacuum all the nasties out of your substrate. just some food for thought for you. But I definitely think it is doable.

lipadj46
08-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Don't do otos with discus. Mine were well fed and still I saw them attached to my discus.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

jmf3460
08-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Brandon,
About the ottos, do the research, read what other people have said on other forums and on this forums about ottos and discus. that way either decision you make will be an educated one.

Tazalanche
08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
So some report having issues with otos & some report no issues, yet.

Here's my opinion... is it really worth risking hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of discus over a fish that can be bought for $1.00???
example: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3954164

Discus are from the Amazon River & its tributaries. Piranha are from the Amazon River & its tributaries. That doesn't mean I'm going to have them together. ;)

Back on topic. IF you want to do a planted tank, 5" & larger discus are your best bet, but you also need to keep in mind that discus prefer to be in schools of at least 5. You should consider getting a larger tank soon. If you don't want to go much larger, a school of 6 adults in a 75 gallon aquarium would be about perfect... just be sure to do regular water changes. With the 6/75 setup I mentioned, two 50% water changes a week should keep everyone happy & thriving.

Good luck!

Poco
08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Brandon,
About the ottos, do the research, read what other people have said on other forums and on this forums about ottos and discus. that way either decision you make will be an educated one.

You have great experience having ottos and discus together good for you. For me it is not a risk worth taking and finding it out the hard way. For that reason I wouldn't advise to keep them together.

brandon parry
08-31-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm not worried about the ottos, I can move them to a smaller tank I already have running.

So from the sound of things I need 5" or bigger discus which is not a problem, but it sounds like 5 adult discus won't fit in a 55 gallon and if I do any number less than 5 they won't thrive.

I'd rather not go bare bottom as it's not very appealing visually to me. So maybe I should just go with a large school of cardinals.

Kal-El
08-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Kenny's got his September shipment in... Check it out if you don't mind buying from our trusted sponsors. Amazing variety.

Link (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108721-PREVIEW-Early-SEPT-2013-Forrest-shipment-Special-Hai-Khoon-stock)

brandon parry
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Looks like some amazing fish, I'd like to thank everyone for the input but it seems like Discus won't fit in with my plans for my 55 if I end up getting a bigger tank I will def check back and hopefully buy from a sponsor. For now I think I'll go with a giant school of cardinals.

Kenny's got his September shipment in... Check it out if you don't mind buying from our trusted sponsors. Amazing variety.

Link (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108721-PREVIEW-Early-SEPT-2013-Forrest-shipment-Special-Hai-Khoon-stock)

Trubble
08-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Good luck with your tank. Don't be a stranger. I would like to see pics of your tank once you get it all set up.

Discus-Hans
08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm not worried about the ottos, I can move them to a smaller tank I already have running.

So from the sound of things I need 5" or bigger discus which is not a problem, but it sounds like 5 adult discus won't fit in a 55 gallon and if I do any number less than 5 they won't thrive.

I'd rather not go bare bottom as it's not very appealing visually to me. So maybe I should just go with a large school of cardinals.

Brandon, 5 adults in a 55 will be fine, no problem,

Hans

brandon parry
09-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Hans, being a possible first time discus owner would you suggest starting with 5 or could it be possible to start with a small number and add to the group as I get more experience with them?

Brandon, 5 adults in a 55 will be fine, no problem,

Hans

Discus-Hans
09-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Better to start with say 5. Adding Discus to an existing stock later brings you in an other ball park with quarantine, bullying from the old to the new etc.
In my opinion it's easiest for you to buy 5 x 4" or 5 x 5" at once. You're not on your own in this adventure lol lol

Hans

Boyd Luth
09-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Brandon, welcome to SD. Make sure that you get on this Forum, and read, read, read. Especially the Stickys at the top of the page. Rule of thumb, 1 Discus per 10 gallons. Buy more tanks, bleach, and hold on for the ride, lol. Get an extra part time job, and if you are Married, begin looking for a support group for your Family, they will need help. Use the Sponsors on this Forum, good fortune.