PDA

View Full Version : Shes spawning every 4 days?

Bilbo
08-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Um, the fastest any discus of mine has ever spawned was once every 7 days. This female of mine is now spawning every 4 days. They are gearing up for a spawn as I type and she just spawned on Tuesday and 4 days before that. She laid about 50 eggs the first time and 150 eggs four days ago. I am curious as to the spawn size this go around. So is a female discus spawning every 4 days the average? I thought once a week-2 weeks was the norm. My flowerhorns spawn about once every 3 weeks but I guess that's why they make up for it in sheer size of spawn.

DonMD
08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Are you sure it's not two females taking turns?

dillpickle
08-31-2013, 04:45 PM
When my pair first started spawning they would spawn exactly 2 days after the eggs turn white or after the fry die from not attaching. First time they spawned 72hrs after there spawn they ate the eggs and spawned again. Left on vacation for a week and now they spawn about every 7 days.

Maybe it is what Don suggested? two females?

Trubble
08-31-2013, 05:07 PM
The average time for a female discus to spawn is 7-10 days. I have a Leopard pair who spawn every 8 days. You can set your calendar by her.

While that may be average, it isn't unheard of for them to spawn more often. I have a Piwow Brown female paired with a male Red Cover who spawns every 4 days like clockwork. I have watched them spawn many times, and I'm sure of their sexes.

Maybe you can see if you can watch them spawn a few times. If it's the same one laying eggs every time, then you could very well have a female who is dead set on propagating, much like my Brown. Good luck.

Bilbo
08-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Are you sure it's not two females taking turns? Possitive. I watch her do it.

DonMD
08-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Possitive. I watch her do it.

OK. Just wondered.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bilbo
08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, this discus is crazy. I pulled the eggs this time to artificially hatch and raise the fry -if indeed the male is fertile- and now the female is already shaking and pecking at a different spawning site. Never saw anything like this. Me personally? I think it may have something to do with the method of feeding I have been applying here lately.

nc0gnet0
09-02-2013, 10:25 AM
every 4 days is not unheard of for a female, any shorter than that you have two females.

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 10:32 AM
every 4 days is not unheard of for a female, any shorter than that you have two females. Gotcha. At this point I know it is male and female as I have a batch of eggs turning dark and about to hatch. Its pretty cool. I think the juicing of the FDBW has uppped their spawning as well as them eating the algae off the sides of the tanks. This particular pair's bellies are more full because of the eating of this algae while they clean the spawning area.

nc0gnet0
09-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I think the juicing of the FDBW has uppped their spawning as well as them eating the algae off the sides of the tanks.

I read that juicing thread.........

One thing I would like to add is I would not recomend this practice in a breeding tank, but thats your choice. My worry would be to the added simple sugars to the water which could lead to elevated bacteria levels in the water column.

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 10:56 AM
I read that juicing thread.........

One thing I would like to add is I would not recomend this practice in a breeding tank, but thats your choice. My worry would be to the added simple sugars to the water which could lead to elevated bacteria levels in the water column.

Definitely a risk factor. That's why I am still in the experimental phase. I love the results so much that I want to continue testing. We'll see what happens.

Nick Klimkowski
09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Um, the fastest any discus of mine has ever spawned was once every 7 days. This female of mine is now spawning every 4 days. They are gearing up for a spawn as I type and she just spawned on Tuesday and 4 days before that. She laid about 50 eggs the first time and 150 eggs four days ago. I am curious as to the spawn size this go around. So is a female discus spawning every 4 days the average? I thought once a week-2 weeks was the norm. My flowerhorns spawn about once every 3 weeks but I guess that's why they make up for it in sheer size of spawn.

One of my pair did the same thing it seems to just be something to do with young age. For some pairs when they are young they seem to breed more regularly but smaller spawns and as they age they seem to spawn less regularly, however they tend to have larger quantities of eggs. good luck. Nick

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 07:16 PM
One of my pair did the same thing it seems to just be something to do with young age. For some pairs when they are young they seem to breed more regularly but smaller spawns and as they age they seem to spawn less regularly, however they tend to have larger quantities of eggs. good luck. Nick If so, then that would mean this female is going to lay enormous spawns when she's older. She has already had a spawn of 150 eggs. I used to have some females that laid some spawns of 500. But from my experience young discus still don't consistently lay every 4 days. The norm has always been about once every 7 days or so. Some of my older discus laid about every 10-21 days.