PDA

View Full Version : Not sure What this is... Maybe Ich? Help Please

dillpickle
08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

My male PB from my pair has developed a white spot on his dorsal fin over the course of 2.5-almost 3 days. It is about 1.5mm in diameter. It is circular and almost pointed at the end.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Eating great, no darting/scratching or flashing, no clamped gills, feces normal brown-black, no hiding, after reading through these symptoms I guess you could almost call them white zits, eyes bright and clear. Will occasionally clamp one fin but it is only for appox.3-5 secs. Not sure if he is doing this to get fry off him or if he is stressed. Please note that this male hates having fry feeding of him every time more than 3 are on him he does circles around the female to cause the fry to go the her.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Nothing other than large water changes:thumbsup:

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

39 US gal. Breeding pair of PB and approx 125-140 fry (just under a week free swimming). Female is 6" and male 6.5"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% every 2 days and sometimes 3 when I am busy.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Bare bottom tank running for 4.5 months.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Tap water is aged. Aged for 48 hrs with prime. Ph goes form around 8.2-3 to just under 8.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 85F

- ph 7.5

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 7

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water N/A

- municipal water 25

- RO water 75

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

At one time had another pair in this tank. Old pair hasn't been in tank for 2.5 months now and was healthy. Nothing else has been in this sterilized tank.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Here is my best at some pics. The spot is on the front of his dorsal fin.

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/dillpickle1012/media/P8310049_zpsc5cff578.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/dillpickle1012/media/P8310048_zps66e97472.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/dillpickle1012/media/P8310047_zps8922890d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/dillpickle1012/media/P8310045_zps6cc85055.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

P.S. I know the tank is sort of dirty in the corner I am taking photos of. Haven't been able to clean in that portion of the tank as the male goes berserk on my hand, doest hurt but I don't want to stress him out.

dillpickle
09-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Bump/update: the white spot on the male seems to have decreased in size. The slight possible fin clamping has stopped. Can anyone help me on this one?

lipadj46
09-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Usually those come and go as water quality ebbs and flows. Just keep the tank clean and it will fade away. Also with your photobucket pics instead of using the HTML link use the IMG link

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

strawberryblonde
09-01-2013, 01:15 PM
That's generally a water quality issue that causes small "pimples"... I think I remember someone doing a scrape on them and reporting back that they are full of bacteria.

They clear right up when you up the water changes and keep the tank scrupulously clean.

Since you now have free swimming fry in the tank, you'll want to up the water changes and reduce the amount of RO you're using. (Unless you are using the RO to address a specific tap water quality issue).
You can head to the Breeding section to find out how others handle fry and what they do for daily maintenance on the tank.

dillpickle
09-01-2013, 03:06 PM
That's generally a water quality issue that causes small "pimples"... I think I remember someone doing a scrape on them and reporting back that they are full of bacteria.

Okay, good to know. I am not sure but I let the algae get out of hand and the tank looked pretty dirty. Gave the tank a good scrub down yesterday.

They clear right up when you up the water changes and keep the tank scrupulously clean.

Yep, the spot is almost gone today.

Since you now have free swimming fry in the tank, you'll want to up the water changes and reduce the amount of RO you're using. (Unless you are using the RO to address a specific tap water quality issue).

Thats the plan. Going to be slowing using more tap water. When they are in there own grow out tank it will be 100% tap water.

Thanks for the help you guys