View Full Version : Question on foster parents.

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Howdy all. I was just wondering. Will an actively spawning pair of discus who has been 2 full days without any eggs in the tank, watch over and protect another discus pair's eggs if I put them in front of them? It's been 2 days since they have laid so they have been pecking at the same spawning site again and I was just curious if they would eat the new eggs or protect them. I guess what I really need to ask is has anyone ever had a discus pair that would do this? Im not talking about the immediate swap out. Lots of pairs would do this. But I mean, if the pair has been without eggs for 2 days then had new eggs or eggs that were about to hatch. Have any of you had a pair that would take care of this new batch? I am intrigued with artificial rearing as well as experimenting with foster parents since I have Albinos. Thanks

nc0gnet0
09-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Depends on the pair, but yes. Most people will screen the eggs and let the foster pair bond with the eggs.

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Excellent. Thanks as always

nc0gnet0
09-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Get your self a nice brown based pair, preferably older. Something along the lines of a VR/RR/RC. Nothing is a given with foster parents, and a nice foster pair is always worth hanging on to.

Bilbo
09-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah for sure. I have Blue Diamonds on the order and eventually I want some of those nice Red Covers. For now though, im going to see if my male Red Turq is up to the task. I am assuming that once the babies are up and running... lets say about the 3rd or 4th day free swimming, that the color of the parents will make little difference.

nc0gnet0
09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
A red turq is not a bad choice either, I have best luck with foster pairs and not individuals however.