PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure it out

bearrock
09-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I moved to a new house that is about two hours from where I was. I am now on well water (I was on city water). I do have a PH difference, the old house was 7.8 and the new house seems to be 7.6 (There is no difference if I age the water). I moved the entire tank and had the fish back in a complete working system with-in 3.5hrs (pretty impressive since it was a two hour commute. They seemed fine for the first week and my wife decided to add two new discus to the five that were already established. After about two days one by one (other than the two new fish) my old fish have all turned dark, clamped their fins and huddle in a corner. I have upped my water changes to 75% every other day and I am not reading any parameters that strike me as out of place. Most of the fish still come to the front of the tank when I approach it like they are hungry but eat very little if at all when I do feed. I have moved to keeping the lights off during the day and keeping the water as clean as possible but they do not seem to be getting any better. I also have three threadfin acara grow-outs all about 1.5" and 10 neon tetras all of which seem to be fine.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

NONE

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 150gal 7discus, 3 threadfin acara @ 1.5" and 10 neon tetras

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 75% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? Was up for two years at the old house and two weeks at the new location

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. No and no difference in aged water

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __86___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5ppm__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __Well water now Municipal at prior location__

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
2 new discus

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
It would be hard to get a picture but they tend to huddle with their nose toward the surface in one corner. They have turned dark and now seem to be on occasion (maybe once or twice a day that I see) twitching/darting.

bearrock
09-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Update: After todays water change I was able to see that a couple of the discus had what looked like grains of rice hanging out of the anus. I ordered prazipro and am going to treat the tank with that as soon as it arrives.......Now I am just hoping they make it till it arrives and the treatment kicks in.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

strawberryblonde
09-03-2013, 12:44 AM
It sounds like your established discus have caught what a lot of us call "discus flu". No one knows exactly what it is, but it resembles a virus. There's no meds that will cure it. You just need to keep the lights off (the virus causes light sensitivity), keep the fresh water coming, feed VERY lightly, keep the tank at your current temps, add an extra air stone and then wait it out. Hopefully most of your fish will recover within about 10 days. If you have any who are weak, they may not make it.

And now a word of caution, ready? This virus is just one of the reasons why everyone advises strict QT before adding new fish to an established group of discus. You QT in a separate room for 4 weeks, then add one "hero" discus from your established tank to the QT tank and observe again.

Had you done that, your hero discus would have gotten sick and you would have known that the new fish were a problem. At that point you would have had the chance of returning the 2 new fish to the dealer and then culling the hero discus so that none of your others got sick.

I'm speaking from experience here. I accidentally cross contaminated my big tank of discus with water from my QT tank last year and ended up losing a total of 6 of my established batch of discus, and also had to cull the new batch because I couldn't be sure which of them was a carrier of the discus virus.

As far as the prazi goes, unless you see them going downhill fast as far as becoming emaciated, I wouldn't personally recommend treating them while they are already sick. It's better to wait till they've recovered and had a chance to build up their immune systems again before you clean them out.

If you see any signs of bacterial infections...which can happen quickly when the immune system crashes during this virus, then begin treatment with Furan2 or Kanamycin for the entire tank.

nc0gnet0
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
How long has it been since you first introduced the new fish? If it were me I would treat with acriflavin unless symptoms took a turn for the worse. Kepp lights off but do have some ambient light in the room.