PDA

View Full Version : Floridians --- WTH is with the USED prices of aquariums down here?

ericatdallas
09-02-2013, 09:46 PM
When I lived in Ohio, I could easily get a USED aquarium off CL for $0.75-$1.25 and occasionally $0.50/gal. For some reason, here a good deal starts at $1.25 and people seem to EXPECT $2/gal.

I have noticed that a lot of used stuff off CL seems more expensive here too (i.e. furniture).

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Eric, you observed correctly :( you can find deals sometimes with lots of patience.

JoeJoe
09-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Eric,

Prices are better in your area than in south east Florida. Keep looking in central FL and your area. I have been tempted to drive up there a couple of times. I have seen some good prices on large tank setups. For many non tank or stand items, you may be better off buying online than used.

Joe:)

sdrexler078
09-02-2013, 11:58 PM
In my city I've seen tanks more than 2 per gallon. There's a 150 right now for 5000 it includes stand and all but that's nuts. So maybe its just all over the US and not just Florida

Boyd Luth
09-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Welcome to Florida :-) your paying for the Sunshine, lol....everything in Fl. cost more. You will get used to it, and enjoy the weather. The further South you go, the more it cost.

strawberryblonde
09-03-2013, 01:11 AM
I need to move to Florida!

On CL today there weren't any tanks for less than $5 a gallon. Yep, 20 gallon tanks are listed for $100. But on the plus side, they come WITH goldfish, blue gravel and "all the extras". <sigh>

Trier20
09-03-2013, 02:47 AM

On CL today there weren't any tanks for less than $5 a gallon. Yep, 20 gallon tanks are listed for $100. But on the plus side, they come WITH goldfish, blue gravel and "all the extras". <sigh>

+1 too many proud tank owners. I could understand a complete saltwater tank but a fresh water tank with sick fish or an empty tank with crap for accessories for $5 a gallon seems to be the norm. :(

Oscarsx
09-03-2013, 02:48 AM
That's insane, I'll consider myself lucky then.

- oz

Ryan
09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I've mentioned this a few times here on Simply. I've found exactly two good deals in the past 5 years and that's it. Right now in my area there are tons of 55 gallons for $300+ and most 125s are like $800 - 2500 depending on what's included. Ridiculous. For those prices I can buy new tanks and not worry about what's been in them or if they've been improperly handled.

8ftbed
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey, sentimental value always adds to the bottom line and it seems many think there's an extra premium to be attached for the privilege of cleaning up their mess. Why do they always mention there's water stains and algae but it'll be easy to clean up? How about cleaning your shiz before posting for sale? :)

Discus-n00b
09-03-2013, 10:46 AM

This. I've actually been looking....:p

les2011
09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
But like anything on CL you gotta hunt for the deals. I got my 135 tank stand and hood for $65 off of CL. I saw a 10ft long in Ft. Myers, FL for $400, I hate I missed that one.

ericatdallas
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Move to OH, that's where I got the good deals. I bought a bunch of tanks down and resold them at what I bought them for hoping I could find the same deals down here. IF I had known it was so expensive down here, I would have figured out the logistics of moving all that glass.

Fancy goldfish? I noticed that too... People selling 55G here for over $100... Petco is doing their $1/gal right now in my area. The stand and lights mean nothing to me. Stands are usually rickety, moldy, or water damaged. Filters are usually underpowered and/or nasty.

Hey, sentimental value always adds to the bottom line and it seems many think there's an extra premium to be attached for the privilege of cleaning up their mess. Why do they always mention there's water stains and algae but it'll be easy to clean up? How about cleaning your shiz before posting for sale? :)

I -ALWAYS- clean the tank and sell them empty. There's a guy selling a 75G with hood/light for $90 here that would be tempting but it's all green with algae. Has unidentified fish and turtles too. I did find one good deal a year ago but I had to take the tank apart with the guy. It was a 90G, stand, canopy, sump, light, and "other" random stuff (trash) for $120. That deal was pretty good so it made it worth tearing it down with him. I dumped the gravel and fish.

But like anything on CL you gotta hunt for the deals. I got my 135 tank stand and hood for $65 off of CL. I saw a 10ft long in Ft. Myers, FL for $400, I hate I missed that one.

That's a pretty good deal. The deals are here, but they're hard to find (not as frequent as when I lived in Cincinnati area). Also, they go quickly and unfortunately for me, I also have to drive for them (at least an hour). So even if it's a good deal, it has to be a VERY good deal to justify the gas.

Boyd Luth
09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Actually....I have been waiting to post this, I recently was informed from a Friend that someone had posted Discus Fish on CL. Always read to stay away. However I have had some real sweet deals on CL. I drove 45 minutes South, and viewed these 7 rough looking Discus ( sadly, the owner had passed in an auto accident, and the Family had zero knowledge on care ). I just could not leave them to wither away. I Qt. bought them, explaining to the Family, that they may not make it, nursed them back to health. Added 6 from Gabe at Wattleys and have been very Happy ever since. I over the years have had some really great deals. One rough one from my own ignorance of not checking the equipment before I left. Take your time, speak with the folks, and research. I am a CL junkie :-)

BODYDUB
09-04-2013, 11:40 AM
People just try to get back then money they've invested in the hobby. Sure, they may find a person to pay their price, but not me. I'll hold out for the good stuff. For example, I picked up a FX5 for $90 a couple of months ago. I didn't have any immediate plans for it as it was way too big for my tank, but I had to jump on it for future use..............