PDA

View Full Version : API Master kit inaccurate??

Eti
09-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone
As I'm starting a fish less cycle, I want to make sure about the good way to measure the ammonia with the API freshwater test kit.
Even though I put direct ammonia directly in the tube just to test it (one drop of pure nh3), the test barely indicates a presence.
Can anyone explain me how to use this test perfectly? I read the manual book and this is a brand new kit.

Thank you!!

Second Hand Pat
09-03-2013, 06:14 AM
You are most likely way outside the normal limits of the test. Try diluting your sample a lot.

camuth8
09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes. I've been outside the limits of the test with my pH, but it came back to normal. I agree with Pat.

Eti
09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you very much guys

afriend
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Thank you very much guys

I agree with responses above. Would like to make a suggestion. When you add ammonia to the tank water, go for a reading of about 1ppm or less. This is more than enough. Adding more will not help speed the process. Low levels will help you better determine when the tank is beginning to cycle. Be sure to use the right type of ammonia (it does NOT foam when shaken).

Paul

Whiskey
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Also,.. Check the expiration date on the test kit. I had a CO2 problem one morning so all the fish were acting weird, just to be safe I checked ammonia to make sure there wasn't more going on, and I nearly freaked when I saw a reading of 2ppm. Then I tested the tap, and my other tank, all were 2 ppm. It wasn't until then that I checked the expiration date and realized that it was 2 years expired.

Whiskey

camuth8
09-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Also,.. Check the expiration date on the test kit. I had a CO2 problem one morning so all the fish were acting weird, just to be safe I checked ammonia to make sure there wasn't more going on, and I nearly freaked when I saw a reading of 2ppm. Then I tested the tap, and my other tank, all were 2 ppm. It wasn't until then that I checked the expiration date and realized that it was 2 years expired.

Whiskey

This may be a problem, too.

Ryan
09-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I've bought test kits at the LFS right off the shelf that were expired by a year or better. Even though it's technically "new," it's possible that it sat on a store shelf for months (or longer) before you bought it. Always check that first just to be sure.

kareen
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Go with Sera Test Kits Thay are dad on. I had API There all over the place

flutterbug
09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
+1 on SEra test kits, I like them much better and the charts are way easier to read!

Eti
09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I checked out the Sera test kit, it looks great. However, I am planning on keep using the API one (just bought it and don't want to spend another 80$...;/).
I definitely found why I was always reading 0 Nh3. You definitely have to wait 5 minutes for the water to turn green (or not).
Now I can see perfectly whats going on. Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8RcXLahFxk