PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Red + Shooting star leopard.

ashtricks
09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
For last 2-3 days, I observed that the dominant fish in my tank (Golden Diamond) was relegated to a corner behind the driftwood. Then the blue diamonds would not venture to the right side of the tank. That's when I noticed that the virgin red and one of the shooting star leopards has paired up and occupied the right side of the tank.
They were/are pecking at the amazon swords.
I never thought my fish would do this so soon. They were 3 inchers from Kenny's November '12 shipment! They still have a lot of growing to do! Just a few minuted back, I saw the shooting star leopard making passes over the tank wall trying to lay. I think I saw one egg being laid, but the VR ate it immediately.
I don't intend to raise the fry. But my wife said, if they are successful in getting wigglers then we should try raising them.
I have no idea what the lineage of these strains is. I don't think they are PB based.
Any inputs on this pairing?
The shooting star leopard looks around 4.5inches and the VR is slightly bigger, may be 5 inches.

PS: My sterbais are weekend warriors. Every weekend they have an all or nothing breeding session in the tank. The VR eats all their accessible eggs :) The sterbai made the mistake of laying on their spot y'day and he cleaned it up soon :)