PDA

View Full Version : White patches on fins??

jmf3460
09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

3 of my 4 leopard discus have white patches in their dorsal, anal and tail fins. They are otherwise healthy, coloring is good, eating normally, not hiding or acting shy. white patches are only symptoms. I noticed the patches on one fish three days ago, now 3 of my 7 fish have them. spots do not look like ich, they are not like salt crystals, nor are they like the pimples that discus often get, they are bigger and more streaked.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

only symptoms are white patches. no darting, flashing clamped gills, tailstanding nor headstanding. looks like a fungus but im not sure.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

have not used any medication at this point.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 gallon set up for only 2 months, tank has manzanita wood, two sword plants in planters, is not bare bottom everywhere, but the sand is soo light it is bare in some spots. two filters, marineland c-360 and emperor 400, 13 watt UV sterilizer, jager heater.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30%-50% every three days.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

tank has been running for 2 months, was basically established when it was set up, I used filter media I had floated in another tank until I could physically see the biological bacteria. then I added like 50 guppies to cycle this tank for 3 weeks before removing the guppies and adding discus I have from another cycled tank. also used water from a cycled tank before adding discus. aquarium sand substrate very light, less than a quarter inch in its deepest parts, some parts are bare where the sand has shifted. also there are some river rocks in the tank that were boiled and tested for carbonates.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I do age my water but only for 2 hours normally. I do not have much of a ph swing with water changes. I am lucky to have water that comes out of the tap and settles within like 30 minutes at basically 7.2. I use DE chlorinator/water conditioner...api stress coat

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _84__

- ph __7.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water _yes__ well water that is very very good, no chlorine, almost neutral after settling for an hour

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

nothing new, well everything is new if you consider the tank has only been set up for 2 months. fish have been in there 3 weeks.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t526/jmf3460/2013-09-04_20-35-53_113_zps9b6b9d01.jpg

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t526/jmf3460/2013-09-04_20-35-24_763_zps56deb54e.jpg

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t526/jmf3460/2013-09-04_20-34-53_815_zpscd861894.jpg

jmf3460
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone...for the responses.

strawberryblonde
09-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry that everyone missed your post, but the easiest way to remedy that would have been to just bump it to the top rather than a full week without saying a word.

So, now that it's back at the top, how are they doing? Has there been any improvement or worsening? Tell me what's going on and I'll see if I can help, ok? =)

troysdiiscus
09-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey Jack attack, I am in Rocky Mount NC...anyway you got Toni on the case so all is good. Normally fin conditions clear up with uping your WC, I would up it for a week and see if it improves. I get these from time to time and it seems mine appears to be results of fighting and nipping...but you got Toni so lets see what is going on....

jmf3460
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Toni,

Thanks for responding. The white patches went away a few days after I posted. But they come and go. every couple of months or so. They don't look like the pimple things that I am used to seeing once in a while. Could it be a burn from something?