PDA

View Full Version : Water Parameters

Carpe_Diem
09-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Good morning all,

Our family moved to a new home and I am preparing to setup an aquarium, possibly with Discus. Before I make the attempt I would like to get some info on our water. We are on a well at this new location and we have no outside attachments/equipment, i.e. RO, Softener or any other kind of device connected.

PH out of the tap is 6.0 - 6.5. PH after sitting for 24 hrs in a cup is the same.

Hardness, according to a professional test is: Hardness as CaCO3 = 10.6 mg/L

I do not understand the above hardness reading? Is it good or bad? Does it mean my water will stay stable at PH 6.0

Thanks for the help.

aalbina
09-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Without alot of explanation - mg/L is equivalent to parts per million ppm. The CaCO3 expression is the sum of calcium and magnesium concentrations (mg/L as CaCO3).

Generally the ranges are as follows:

Hardness Range Description
mg/L as CaCO3
---------------------------------------------------
0 - 75 Soft
75 -100 Moderately hard
100 - 300 Hard
>300 Very Hard

It seems to me - that your pH is stable overnight, and your water is quite soft. Sounds fine for discus. Since you are on well water, I would have a water company test for heavy metals in your water. If the house is older with copper pipes - that could be a concern as the lethal concentration of copper for fish is quite low, iron, manganese, etc can be of concern if the concentrations are high enough. In New England, I find that my well water stays quite consistent in terms of pH and composition season to season. My pH is higher than yours and I do have manganese in high enough concentrations that I filter with an HMA filter.

Whether your pH stays stable is the product of a lot of factors. A good test kit and a log will help you discover the answer.

With pH as low as yours - you need to be especially vigilant about ammonia build up. Low pH makes ammonia more toxic to fish than higher pH.

Good luck

Adam

bs6749
09-05-2013, 09:53 AM
With pH as low as yours - you need to be especially vigilant about ammonia build up. Low pH makes ammonia more toxic to fish than higher pH.

Actually, at a low pH the ammonia/ammonium equilibrium shifts toward the formation of the far less toxic ammonium ion. A low pH should be seen as beneficial, and not harmful.
http://www.agronext.iastate.edu/immag/manureonsnow/ISU%20GeneralSumm-Ammonia+Ammonium.pdf

You have very good water and I wouldn't be worried. Many would envy the quality of water that you have available.

Carpe_Diem
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Thank you very much to both of you.

Other metals are as follows: Copper = 17 UG/L
Magnese = 16 UG/L
Arsenic = 2 UG/L very low, which I believe is good?

Without alot of explanation - mg/L is equivalent to parts per million ppm. The CaCO3 expression is the sum of calcium and magnesium concentrations (mg/L as CaCO3).

Generally the ranges are as follows:

Hardness Range Description
mg/L as CaCO3
0 - 75 Soft
75 -100 Moderately hard
100 - 300 Hard
>300 Very Hard

It seems to me - that your pH is stable overnight, and your water is quite soft. Sounds fine for discus. Since you are on well water, I would have a water company test for heavy metals in your water. If the house is older with copper pipes - that could be a concern as the lethal concentration of copper for fish is quite low, iron, manganese, etc can be of concern if the concentrations are high enough. In New England, I find that my well water stays quite consistent in terms of pH and composition season to season. My pH is higher than yours and I do have manganese in high enough concentrations that I filter with an HMA filter.

Whether your pH stays stable is the product of a lot of factors. A good test kit and a log will help you discover the answer.

Good luck

Adam

bs6749
09-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Those numbers look good. They are equivalent to ppb/parts per billion.

aalbina
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes - sorry - that is absolutely correct - typing too fast - got my facts reversed.

Adam

Actually, at a low pH the ammonia/ammonium equilibrium shifts toward the formation of the far less toxic ammonium ion. A low pH should be seen as beneficial, and not harmful.
http://www.agronext.iastate.edu/immag/manureonsnow/ISU%20GeneralSumm-Ammonia+Ammonium.pdf

You have very good water and I wouldn't be worried. Many would envy the quality of water that you have available.

Carpe_Diem
09-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Good day everyone,

This will be my first attempt in many years going back to an all natural tank setup. Only Wood, Rocks and Live plants will be living in here. Well, besides the fish of course.

In the past I had problems with not just growing, but actually keeping plants alive. After a lot of research I went to a double canopy for lighting and loaded 8 fertilizer tablets to start these plants off. I will not be using CO2 but as I am just under 2 Watts per gallon, I don't believe it will be necessary.

Not to sure what to do about stocking. Was thinking possibly Discus with my pH of 6.0 but not sure if I am ready for that leap. Anyway, here is the tank cycling.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x72/The_Caper_67/1237031_10200463716617552_1559920007_n_zps655ff112 .jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/user/The_Caper_67/media/1237031_10200463716617552_1559920007_n_zps655ff112 .jpg.html)

chriscus
09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Very nice....is this a 36G bow front? Might be a little small for the 5+ school of discus generally recommended. Depending on your experience/comfort level and budget a true pair would look good.

If you don't mind me asking where'd you get your driftwood and background? I like the sunken ship silhouette against the light blue.

Carpe_Diem
09-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi Chriscus,

The tank is actually a 46 Gallon Bow Front. The two pieces of driftwood were a nice contrast to each other which I found near some water tributaries near my home. The one on the right I had to weight down with a piece of slate on the bottom and the two rocks you see in the tank. The sunken ship background helps hide some of the cords and bland wall in behind the tank.

Thanks for commenting. :)