PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Strain

Nashoda
09-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I picked this guy/girl up a few weeks ago because i love his/her unique coloring, but I'm uncertain what strain. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

camuth8
09-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd call it either Golden Panda or Yellow White(like red white). It is some kind of pigeon-based fish because of the peppering. What did the person you bought it from say it was?

Skip
09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Nebula/calico

Nashoda
09-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Well, he said it was a rare strain and called it dalmation. I've never heard of that though. When I tried to identify him/her, I thought it looked closest to Nebula.

Ryan
09-06-2013, 07:36 PM
It isn't a pigeon-based fish. It looks to be either a calico (which used to be called Nebula, though they haven't been listed as that for a long time IMO) with minimal coloring or a snow white/yellow white with a mottled pattern. It's probably a random throwback from a spawn.

Nashoda
09-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks Ryan. There was about six of them and they all had the calico coloring...IMO gorgeous. Wish I could have taken them all, LOL

Skip
09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks Ryan. There was about six of them and they all had the calico coloring...IMO gorgeous. Wish I could have taken them all, LOL

tara/tnt discus *sponsor* has some in this months order

Ryan
09-06-2013, 08:32 PM
tara/tnt discus *sponsor* has some in this months order

Yes, that's true. I forgot about that. They're being called "koi," probably because they lack any red blotches and are instead just yellow and white. Very nice, subtle coloration on them.

nc0gnet0
09-06-2013, 09:05 PM
It isn't a pigeon-based fish.

If I were a gambling type of person, I would bet a weeks pay on that claim. :)

IMO it is a pigeon based fish, most likely a pigeon x snow white cross of some sort. Looking at the fins and seeing the hint of a blue halo is a tell tale sign. Not sure I would call it a calico ( I always thought a "calico" was supposed to be tri-colored), although lately I have seen such fish refered to as such.

nc0gnet0
09-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, he said it was a rare strain and called it dalmation.

He didn't try to sell you any land in Florida or a bridge while you were there did he? :)

There was about six of them and they all had the calico coloring...IMO gorgeous.

At the end of the day that is all that really matters!

Reminds me of this pigeon blood to non pb cross I did some time ago:

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/nc0gnet0/Oyw-ASRG%20fry/juve.jpg