PDA

View Full Version : Need help with treating fin rot

tu1005
09-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi all, I have a 55 gallon with the Fluval canister filter, live plants and 6 discus in varying sizes (3" to 6"). All of them have fin rot in varying degrees of severity. I tried the Mardel Maracyn 2 in the main aquarium but with not much success. During the treatment kept the carbon in the filter in as per instructions the carbon does not affect the medication when 6+ days old. I have also done a 100% water change before that. Unfortunately that did not work either.

Unfortunately I cannot get all the discus out in a sick tank. Appreciate any suggestions to treat the discus while keeping them in the main tank. It is really depressing to see them loose their fins slowly :(

Tks !
Prabir

DiscusLoverJeff
09-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Fill out the above questionnaire and lets see if we can get some ideas of your problem.

PsyXe
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Something to try and it won't harm - can you buy Rooibos tea where you are? It might be called Redbush. Health shops might have it. Make sure it's not normal tea with caffeine! If you put a couple of bags in the water it might help with fin rot. I know a lot of people who swear by it, but I would usually use it as a first resort before trying any serious medications, maybe the fact that Maracyn didn't work means that it's too severe for the Rooibos to work. Keep doing large water changes too.

lipadj46
09-08-2013, 02:04 PM
If its something that's not healing then you either need cleaner water or need to trim them with scissors

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code