PDA

View Full Version : Plant Lead Weights

Boyd Luth
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Good day everyone....I am curious as to the long term damage ( if any ) of having those lead weights used to hold plants from floating to the surface ? I suppose they would not use them in the LFS if there were any harm :-) what say you ? Thanx, and have a Grateful day, Boyd.

Boyd Luth
09-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Am I the only one that has wisteria plants weighted down :-) ????
any lead ( Led ) pollution in tanks ????

jmf3460
09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
If you are worried about led poisoning why don't you get small planters for your wisteria and plant them in plant substrate. That is what I do. At every 4th or 5th water change I slide a half of a root tab into the substrate to fertilize the plant. Your wisteria would benefit from having its roots planted into something instead of just secured with a plant weight. Also it might look better than seeing bare root and led piece. you can use shot glasses, small jars, small terracotta pots anything to plant them. I know wisteria gets a lot of its nutrients from the water column through their leaves. You wouldn't need a huge potter, a shot glass would do perfect. I have two small swords planted in square glass jars. they do wonderfully and are easily moved to clean underneath.

Boyd Luth
09-18-2013, 12:15 AM
If you are worried about led poisoning why don't you get small planters for your wisteria and plant them in plant substrate. That is what I do. At every 4th or 5th water change I slide a half of a root tab into the substrate to fertilize the plant. Your wisteria would benefit from having its roots planted into something instead of just secured with a plant weight. Also it might look better than seeing bare root and led piece. you can use shot glasses, small jars, small terracotta pots anything to plant them. I know wisteria gets a lot of its nutrients from the water column through their leaves. You wouldn't need a huge potter, a shot glass would do perfect. I have two small swords planted in square glass jars. they do wonderfully and are easily moved to clean underneath.
Thanx for the idea Jack :-) good suggestion !

jmf3460
09-18-2013, 08:43 AM
not a problem. good luck.