PDA

View Full Version : Flakes for discus

trungnguyen
09-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi all discus members,

I am looking for the high good quality flake for my discus, can anyone please recommend me some?

I have been feeding my discus with FDWB, fozen worms and homemade beefheart, and now if I start feeding them with flake, what should I do to make them accept eating all the flakes all.

Thanks.

Trung

Gene
09-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Right now I'm using Ken's fish bh flake and spirulina flake. They seem to do fine for me. I really want to try Inland Empire's flake. I always hear good things about it. You might not even have trouble getting them to eat it. If they don't eat it, vacuum it up and and try again at their next feeding. Repeat until they eat it lol.

lipadj46
09-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Super beefheart flake from inland empire discus

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

DiscusLoverJeff
09-18-2013, 08:27 AM
The brand Cobalt sells a high premium flake formulated for discus and is endorsed by the one and only Discus Hans!

Discusdude7
09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm using ocean nutrition prime reef-it's the only flake my discus will touch. Lol

jmf3460
09-18-2013, 09:45 AM
AngelsPlus.com...I feed a mixed bag of flaked foods.

Ryan
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I always had good luck with the Ocean Nutrition flakes. Mine are finally accepting the beefheart flakes now but they didn't like them for the longest time.

DiscusLoverJeff
09-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I always had good luck with the Ocean Nutrition flakes. Mine are finally accepting the beefheart flakes now but they didn't like them for the longest time.

Mine too Ryan. It took me quite some time to get them to eat the BH Flakes.

Elliots
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Mine go for Tetra flakes. Real cheap if you buy the about four pound size from Kens Fish or elsewhere. They also like Tetra Crisps and Tetra Granules but those do not come in super giant sizes I think. I think Hans has his own flakes that my fish also seemed to like.

strawberryblonde
09-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I mix up a variety of flakes for my big guys. They eat OSI Spirulina flakes, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Tetra Color Crisps and Cobalt Premium flakes (the ones that Hans endorses). So far I haven't been able to get them to eat beefheart flakes. They also will NOT eat the red flakes from the Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes - they only eat the green and yellow ones. They used to spit the red ones out, now they recognize them and just ignore them. Thank goodness my cories and tetras like them. LOL

trungnguyen
09-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone for feedbacks. I really appreciate that.
Now I'm trying to train my discus eat tetra color, but it's hard. I just feed them a bit of tetra color in the morning and that's it. Either they eat that or nothing else, until late evening I feed them with normal food like FDBW...hope they would accept the tetra colors after couple days, and then flake
Is the way I do correct?
Thanks

dkeef
09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I got dans blackworm/beef heart progro flakes. I got 1lb but dont need this much.
I can sell half if u want. $20 for 1/2 lb. live in la mirada.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?104507-Prices-for-our-Blackworm-amp-Beef-Heart-Flakes-with-Pro-More-amp-Pro-Gro

lipadj46
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Mine are the opposite, won't touch prime reef that much but love beefheart flake. I don't like the reformulated ocean nutrition flakes anyhow. The old formulation had whole ingredients first but the new has fish meal as first. Probably equivalent nutritionally but still like the older formulation.

Tazalanche
09-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Our "regular flake mix" consists of Aqueon tropical flake (bulk "store use only" bucket from LFS), Ken's freeze dried brine shrimp (crushed to a powder), Ken's freeze dried bloodworms.
Our "cichlid flake mix" consists of the above, plus a smaller portion of Ken's beefheart flake (or Dan's beefheart/blackworm flake), Ken's spirulina flake, Ken's immune booster flake, Ken's earthworm flake, Ken's plankton/krill flake, New Life Spectrum discus pellets (or Sera discus pellets).

Here's a thread where everyone was discussing their feeding routines:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?107105-Post-Your-favorite-food-feeding-routine-for-your-fish-here!

blueluv
09-18-2013, 05:32 PM
SUPER BEEFHEART FLAKE FROM, FROM BILL AT INLAND EMPIRE DISCUS

Oscarsx
09-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Easy answer, super bh flake w/ pro growth from Inland empire discus... Discus go nuts and show great results.

- oz

amji
10-02-2013, 12:23 AM
i started culturing white worms using a plasti ice cream box i adf some garden soil and i used to keep a piece of bread shoking some yougurt and kept on the box and i used a glass to cover the bread.

after 4 days i saw some white worms and also somr other insects too it was mess. aftr some days those bugers ruined my culture any idea guys

Second Hand Pat
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
i started culturing white worms using a plasti ice cream box i adf some garden soil and i used to keep a piece of bread shoking some yougurt and kept on the box and i used a glass to cover the bread.

after 4 days i saw some white worms and also somr other insects too it was mess. aftr some days those bugers ruined my culture any idea guys

Amji, Please start another thread regarding your question since your question is totally off topic on this thread.
Pat

BODYDUB
10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm using ocean nutrition prime reef-it's the only flake my discus will touch. Lol
I'm using the same flakes. It took about a month for them to start eating it, now they tear it up............