PDA

View Full Version : Discus complaints...Man i wish my discus were....

dkeef
09-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Ok here i go.

1. Not so dang cowardly that they get spooked all the time for no reason imo and sometimes injure themselves

2. Not such a sloppy eater. My africans left no food on floor...

John_Nicholson
09-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Normally I find that if they are spooky something is not quite right with their water. Ask folks that have come over to the house. I will try to spook mine and most of the time they just sit there and look at you...LOL. Having said that I do have one set of BD's that are spookier than I like.

-john

Madaboutdiscus
09-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Mine get spooky but I think its because theres only 5 of them. Started with 8 but you know how things go.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DiscusBR
09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
My 7 wild Cuipeuas would spook with guests, especially kids, but would ignore people in the house, including of course myself.

I wish they would not splash water all over the place because they spook when feeding in the surface ...

DiscusLoverJeff
09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I have noticed if you come at them at an angle, they can spook. If you have painted sides and pop out of no where, that too can spook them. Once directly in front of them, they don't really care you are there.

strawberryblonde
09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Mine aren't too spooky-ish. A couple of them will get startled once in awhile when I go around the side of the tank to flip off the lights at night. I suspect that it's because they are sleeping and I startle them awake.

Other than that, they put up with a LOT of foot traffic and movement all around the tank and never fail to follow along. I think they're constantly hoping for just one more snack from whoever is passing by. LOL

About the messy eating. They shouldn't be leaving a ton of food on the bottom of the tank! If they are, you're feeding too much. Mine clean up every last crumb within 30 minutes at the most (worms take the longest because those pesky things fly all around the tank).

Ryan
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
All my fish get pretty flighty around guests. I live alone and the fish are accustomed to seeing only me, for the most part. If new people walk into the fish room, everyone runs for a hiding place.

Discus are pretty bad when it comes to skittishness. It takes them a long time to settle in sometimes. I moved my 11 fish from Mike Beals into a 55 gallon in my fish room and they were skittish for almost two months in that new tank. They were fine in my QT tank in another room. I was about ready to throw my hands up and try moving them to a new tank, when suddenly they decided they were comfortable and they calmed down. I didn't change anything or approach them differently, so I really have no idea what made them decide to stop crashing into the glass every time I walked in. Slow learners, maybe. ;)

I have a ghost pair from Kenny who were really shy at first, then I moved them to a tank on a 6" higher stand and it was night and day. Now when I walk in the fish room they just sit and stare at me, waiting for food or acknowledgement. So sometimes it's little things like tank height/position, lighting, etc.

jmf3460
09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Ok here i go.

1. Not so dang cowardly that they get spooked all the time for no reason imo and sometimes injure themselves

2. Not such a sloppy eater. My africans left no food on floor...

3. Not so scared to death of the syphon hose every time I do a water change

4. Would stop teasing my dog so he would stop adding his silly nose prints on the front of the tank trying to follow them around the bottom front of the tank.

mastermamo
09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
In the beginning they all hid when someone approached the tank. Now it's all changed. I walk past and there they all come to the surface. Put my hand in and I get to stroke 3 or 4 that are particularly fearless. Like little puppies they rub up against my hand.
Now my juvies in my holding tank are beginning to do the same. Funny thing though they won't do this when someone else tries.

Love them to bits

DiscusBR
09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
4. Would stop teasing my dog so he would stop adding his silly nose prints on the front of the tank trying to follow them around the bottom front of the tank.

lol... Easy solution: next time get a Chihuahua :)

troysdiiscus
09-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Mine like said when they feed from the top spook each other then scatter waite 2 mins and back at it. It seems one spooks one and all of sudden splash!!!all of them go..stand in front nothing, coming from the side (most times) run and hide....there funny

strawberryblonde
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Discus complaints...Man i wish my discus were....

1) Willing to pitch in and clean their own tank every day.

2) Not so nosy that they make my husband uncomfortable with their staring when he tries to eat his breakfast!

jmf3460
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM

2) Not so nosy that they make my husband uncomfortable with their staring when he tries to eat his breakfast!

HAHA they are really nosy. very cute :)

Second Hand Pat
09-18-2013, 03:43 PM

...I wouldn't mind if they did dishes and laundry also :D

troysdiiscus
09-18-2013, 04:47 PM
oh yeah and I that I could add them to my taxes as a dependant!!!!!:thumbsup:

Madaboutdiscus
09-18-2013, 05:29 PM
oh yeah and I that I could add them to my taxes as a dependant!!!!!:thumbsup:

I like this idea.

Crunchy
09-18-2013, 10:07 PM
not so choosy eaters, sometimes get addicted to worms!

Oscarsx
09-19-2013, 12:02 AM
For the spokyness, I have little girls and a baby boy in the house, my discus definitely learned to cope with their craziness...

Sometimes I wish... Discus could talk, and explain to you what they need!! That would solve all kinds of problems.

- oz

Madaboutdiscus
09-19-2013, 12:18 AM
For the spokyness, I have little girls and a baby boy in the house, my discus definitely learned to cope with their craziness...

Sometimes I wish... Discus could talk, and explain to you what they need!! That would solve all kinds of problems.

- oz

+1+1+1+1+1 yes