PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the head

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Pretty much that, how o treat it, need help please!

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Pretty much that, how o treat it, need help please!

When I hear hole in the head I think two things,

1, Diet----you really to make sure to feed a Variety of good quality foods with minerals and vitamins.

2, Water quality----keep up on your water changes and make sure you add lots of fresh water.

If the first two things don't work then you can try meds but I would do the above first.....Josie

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 09:40 PM
When I hear hole in the head I think two things,

1, Diet----you really to make sure to feed a Variety of good quality foods with minerals and vitamins.

2, Water quality----keep up on your water changes and make sure you add lots of fresh water. Thanks I am doing both, 80% water change every other day and started dosing discus vitamins, just for the records though what medicine do u suggest? Thanks

If the first two things don't work then you can try meds but I would do the above first.....Josie
Thanks I am doing both, 80% water change every other day and started dosing discus vitamins, just for the records though what medicine do u suggest? Thanks

lane mechtel
09-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Vitamin c and d are thought to be the big ones for hole in the head.

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Metro is the med of choice for Hole in the head but would try the clean fresh water and diet change first. I would add greens to the diet some vitamins out there don't absorb very well in the fish. Without knowing more its hard to suggest things. If you have substrate I would clean the crap out of it and wipe the sides of the tank down, also would make sure your filters are very clean and not running with gunk in them.

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Metro is the med of choice for Hole in the head but would try the clean fresh water and diet change first. I would add greens to the diet some vitamins out there don't absorb very well in the fish. Without knowing more its hard to suggest things. If you have substrate I would clean the crap out of it and wipe the sides of the tank down, also would make sure your filters are very clean and not running with gunk in them. I have done all that just said, except the greens in the food, what can I try to give them? He seems okay hangs aroun the others and eats too, just that white spot in his head.......

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I have done all that just said, except the greens in the food, what can I try to give them? He seems okay hangs aroun the others and eats too, just that white spot in his head.......

White Spots? Ok I need a photo your confusing me a little.
As far as greens go my favorite is collard greens....

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 10:01 PM
It's just one spot let me figure how to upload a pic and ill post it...he has just one right on top of his head......

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
It's just one spot let me figure how to upload a pic and ill post it...he has just one right on top of his head......

Ok cool I would love to see a photo it would help, maybe Pat can help with the photo thing...Josie

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 10:24 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/album.php?albumid=654&attachmentid=80137 check it out, hope I did it right.

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Well the good news is that you don't have hole in the head. Looks more like a wound to me :)

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Are you sure, I mean I haven't seen hole in the head disease pictures but yeah it kind of looks like a wound to me too, cuz he only has one, and it doesn't look like its open...well I hope he get better soon.

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
It's not hole in the head it should clear up fine....:):):)..... Josie

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Where did he come from ?

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 10:56 PM
What do you mean where did he come from, you mean like the store I got It from?

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 10:59 PM
What do you mean where did he come from, you mean like the store I got It from?

Yes just wondering?

Tormentor
09-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I got him from a store down here in miami called exotic aquariums, he was my third discus....that was like 4 or 5 months ago.

strawberryblonde
09-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Actually, that doesn't look like a wound or hole in the head. It looks like he is starting to develop normal white markings on his head. I had a moment of panic too when my first Marlboro Red started to develop them, then realized that it wasn't:

a) Raised or bumpy
b) Open with raw edges
c) Exuding pus

If he's about 8 months to one year old, it's just normal markings, he'll probably develop more of them with time.

Chicago Discus
09-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Actually, that doesn't look like a wound or hole in the head. It looks like he is starting to develop normal white markings on his head. I had a moment of panic too when my first Marlboro Red started to develop them, then realized that it wasn't:

a) Raised or bumpy
b) Open with raw edges
c) Exuding pus

If he's about 8 months to one year old, it's just normal markings, he'll probably develop more of them with time.

That could be to ......Josie

Tormentor
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
That could be to ......Josie
Wow now that is something else, I have seeing him really close, and it doesn't look damaged or anything, just white, I have done more water changes and also added discus vitamins thinking that it was some sore of disease but it hasn't got any better or worse...but I'll definitely keep my eyes on him or her, still don't know yet, as it is barely like 4 inches. Thanks for all the help though.

strawberryblonde
09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Ahhhh, if he's still small then yup, he's developing his white markings.

JERRYKEVIN
09-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Josie is right that is not hole in the head. That is a wound. Clean fresh water and it will heal.

strawberryblonde
09-20-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry, I disagree with Jerrykevin. It isn't a wound unless you can visibly see rough or jagged edges.

From that pic I don't see any signs of a wound. I see a white mark, which is perfectly normal in many pigeon bloods as they mature.

Second Hand Pat
09-20-2013, 08:25 AM
If you carefully look at the picture you can see an indication of scales. I too think it is the formation of a white area.