PDA

View Full Version : Aging Water

monkey022
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
When aging water for 24 hours should you put the water conditioner (ie Prime) in at the beginning of the process or a few minutes right before you pump the water into you main tank?

SMB2
09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103697-Best-way-on-aging-water&highlight=Prime

alexsano
09-24-2013, 05:54 AM
i dont use prime and just the aged water for w/c for 4 months and my fishes are ok.

Gorf
09-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Prime should be added at the end of the ageing period.

Just ageing water for several days with agitation will in theory allow Chlorine to dissipate. However if your water utility uses Chloramines, then this will not dissipate & you must condition the water in some way (HMA, RO, Prime). The danger is that your water utility could start using Chloramines at any time without warning. If they do this & you are not dealing with the possibility, then it will kill your fish.

alexsano
09-24-2013, 08:13 AM
^ good point. i got an impression that prime is only used if you are going to put the water directly from the tap without aging it...

BODYDUB
09-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I add prime to my aging barrel at the end of 24hrs right before I do a W/C........

troysdiiscus
09-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Do not add to aging barrel, after 24 hours and you do your WC add prime or safe to the tank before you add the aged water. Dose for entire volume of tank water

Discusdude7
09-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Do not add to aging barrel, after 24 hours and you do your WC add prime or safe to the tank before you add the aged water. Dose for entire volume of tank water

Why not add it as soon as you fill up the barrel??

troysdiiscus
09-25-2013, 08:23 PM
prime works for 24 to 48 hours. So when you add it to your barrel and age it for 24 hours alot has been used up. Prime works instantly so no need. Plus when it breaks down in your barrel it also leaves a film build up...
Why not add it as soon as you fill up the barrel??

Discusdude7
09-25-2013, 08:34 PM
prime works for 24 to 48 hours. So when you add it to your barrel and age it for 24 hours alot has been used up. Prime works instantly so no need. Plus when it breaks down in your barrel it also leaves a film build up...

What do you mean by "used up"?
Are you saying prime only declorinates water for 24-48 hours?

Gorf
09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
People gets mixed up with Prime.

Prime locks Chlorine & Chloramines quickly & that is permanent. Prime can also be used to lock Ammonia & Nitrites temporarily for between 24-48 hours. This can be useful for instance with a hospital tank where you are doing 100% daily water changes. It is also useful in an emergency if your filter bacteria have collapsed.

In the example above where Prime is only being used to lock Chlorine & Chloramines, then it can be applied in the tub at any time. It may be worth noting that adding the Prime later would mean that leaving Chlorine in the water tub could help keep bacteria out the water while ageing.

DiscusLoverJeff
09-26-2013, 01:06 PM
If you have the time, read this thread. It is packed with good information from some great SD members.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97726-TOO-MUCH-PRIME-WITH-WATER-CHANGES!