PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae - any Pros?

Rudra
09-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a batch of hair algae floating in my 90 G like a green island, that I dont mind, as I think it looks good. (assuming it is hair algae). (The left top of the pic)
The general algae problem is now in control - as I started dosing Potassium after every water change. I am in a dilemma about throwing away that mass or leaving it there - as I dont mind that look. Is there any Pros for this stuff? And are there any serious cons to it?http://www.flickr.com/photos/12951535@N08/9965340755/

Rudra
09-27-2013, 08:59 AM
The Pic URL is @flickr.com/photos/12951535@N08/9965340755/
Dont know how to reduce the size... Apologies..

Rudra
09-27-2013, 09:01 AM
80366 Ok.. finally found how to.. Yay!

camuth8
09-27-2013, 09:31 AM
I think we need a bigger pic.:)

Rudra
09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Ok.. a bigger size..

Frankr409
09-27-2013, 10:01 AM
This is typical in a start up issue, or if something is getting out of balance in the aquarium. It can get out of hand in my opinion and make your plants compete for resources.

Could be from phosphates in the food you are feeding, wrong lighting, wrong fertilization routine, Co2, etc. It could be many things, and combinations of things. Get yourself a nice sail fin molly. The molly will devour the algae, and frankly they just don't live all that long. It will give you time to figure out what the issue is, and to swing the tank back into a position where the plants can once again outcompete the algae for resources.

jmf3460
09-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Beautiful setup. I love the red. Is it a flamingo or melon or what??

MKD
09-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Pros: nature look.

Rudra
09-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Beautiful setup. I love the red. Is it a flamingo or melon or what??
Thanks.. actually it is laying eggs in this pic.. it is a melon.

pastry
09-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey Rudra! I know you've already seen my tank and have noticed all the hair algae. I don't think it causes any problem but just a cosmetic problem if you're not into that. Otherwise, remove it if easy but otherwise it's fine unless it gets out of control. I've had a problem since I'll be lazy and leave lights on too long (and I'm sure something's probably off balance in my tank but I'm good with it right now).

Len
09-27-2013, 08:46 PM
I'd get it out of there. If it flourishes, it will wind itself all around your plants and they will eventually dwindle away.

pastry
09-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Len, I wish mine would dwindle but the vall I have is growing like a weed! The amazons as well have gone nuts. All of them go nuts regardless of that algae. I think the only plant that it really does a number on in my tank are the anubias. Now, I totally agree with you though... take it out! It looked good when thin and flowing on my wood but if/when it gets worse (got worse when I changed lighting and kept lights on too long) then it becomes an eye sore.

Len
09-27-2013, 09:50 PM
You must have better luck than me then. If you look at the middle pic in my signature, that is a pic of my planted tank when i had it setup. Hair algae choked off most of the plants at ne point and I had to hack them way back to cut it all out. Took a long while to get the plants to grow out again to the right size and shape with lots of pruning :(

pastry
09-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Len, I wouldn't necessarily say "luck"... ha! Maybe "fortunate". I actually need to thin some of it down tonight. Whatever you do, don't look at my thread in the planted section... you might throw up in your mouth if you see how much I deal with... especially towards the second half of the thread when I fix the lighting with a nice LED set up but start to get lazy on turning it off at night. I'll look at your past threads/posts to check out more of your planted pics. I loooove seeing others' planted pics. I'll also look up more of your old ones on that pic you have for your avatar. That's a damn fine looking discus right there. I'm a big fan of brown-based reds and, while assuming that's a wild though, that's a fish I'd drool over... would that be an Ica?

Len
09-27-2013, 10:01 PM
No, I certainly wish it was an Ica red, but alas. It was sold to me first as a manacapuru but I was later told I was mistakenly sent Cuipeua's instead.

pastry
09-27-2013, 10:08 PM
(hope I'm not being rude to the OP)

Well Len, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands. Hell, I'll even pay for the shipping ;)

Rudra
09-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I'd get it out of there. If it flourishes, it will wind itself all around your plants and they will eventually dwindle away.

Hmm.. I removed most of it today.. Still cant bring myself to remove the entire island..

Rudra
09-28-2013, 06:16 PM
(hope I'm not being rude to the OP)

Well Len, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands. Hell, I'll even pay for the shipping ;)

Lol.. you should sell us your "unwanted" frys first...