PDA

View Full Version : Feeding flakes with metro

Elliots
09-28-2013, 07:25 AM
If I think my fish have internal parasites and I want to feed flake food with metro from Kens Fish how long should I feed this food if I feed twice daily? Should I feed something else in addition? Should I alternate with other foods? Does an occasional feeding with this food do anything? Does occasional feeding prevent problems?

DiscusLoverJeff
09-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Elliot are you soaking the flakes in Metro and if so, for how long? Don't the flakes start breaking down once they are in water? So if soaking, it must be in and out right away and then into the tank?

How many fish are we talking about Elliot?

Elliots
09-28-2013, 07:48 AM
I bought the flakes from Kens Fish. I do not have a problem currently. I do have 10 about 6" Discus in a 150 gal with many other fish. Maybe 25 Corys, 25 Cardinals, 10 Siamese Algae Eaters and about 10 3-4" Clown Loaches, about 12 Kulhi Loaches, I am not really sure of the counts because I do not keep records of what I bought and my tank is heavily planted with large driftwoods. I feed extra because I have so many bottom feeders, I feed enough that it is all gone in 10-15 minutes instead of the usual 5 minutes. I am not worried about internal parasites in my non-Discus fish except that they may spread to my Discus. I have not added any fish since I added SAE about 2-3 months ago. I am not worried about the large number of fish. I currently change about 50% of my water 3-4 times weekly.
My post is essentially what to do if I get internal parasites and I want to try medicated flakes. The flakes come in a bag without directions.

Tazalanche
09-28-2013, 10:23 AM
If the metro flake was bought directly from Kensfish.com, doesn't it have directions on the bag?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/tazfreeatlast/Aquatic%20Critters/MetroFlake.jpg

Directions for use: Feed twice daily for 6 days. Should be the only food fed for the full 6 day cycle.

As to answering each of your questions:
how long should I feed this food if I feed twice daily? 6 days
Should I feed something else in addition? No
Should I alternate with other foods? No
Does an occasional feeding with this food do anything? It might help the parasites develop an immunity/resistance to metro over time.
Does occasional feeding prevent problems? No

Elliots
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks David, I just received a plastic bag (Sealed) without that label. Now I know what to do and I hope I do not need it. I like to have things at home "Just in Case" and Kens is sometimes 50% or more cheaper than my LFS plus I always order enough for free shipping so I buy stuff I do not immediately need.
Also David I want to warn you, never trust atoms they make up everything!

a volar
09-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Elliot, here's a very informative link about it, that's what I usually do when need it, the key here will be to feed fish slowly.

HIH

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleFeedingMedFoods.htm

Elliots
09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks Ismael, good to know about how to correctly feed the medicated flakes. I would just have dumped the flakes in all at once.

Tazalanche
09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks David, I just received a plastic bag (Sealed) without that label. Now I know what to do and I hope I do not need it. I like to have things at home "Just in Case" and Kens is sometimes 50% or more cheaper than my LFS plus I always order enough for free shipping so I buy stuff I do not immediately need.No problem. Glad I could help. We have a cabinet full of "Just in Case" from kensfish.com too (to meet the $75 for free shipping). That cabinet is where I grabbed one of our still sealed 1/2 lb bags of metro flake for the photo. :D

Also David I want to warn you, never trust atoms they make up everything!Ain't that tha truth! ;)