PDA

View Full Version : Going to be getting Discus. help

collister
09-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Hey guys. I am going to be getting Discus and have a few questions. I currently have a 55g tank with rocks and plants in it. The only fish in it right now are guppys and a pleco. Are these good tank mates for a discus? Is six discus a good amount to have for that tank size? Do you need an equal amount of male and female discus in one tank?

Bill63SG
09-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Guppys cant really take discus temps over time.And most plecos get to big or like to graze on the sides of discus.Bristle nose plecos for the most part stay small enough and don't munch on discus slime.75 would be better but you can do 6 in a 55.unless your buying adults,hard to put equal amount,male /female,.And then the pairing would result in aggression and territories being fought over in a tank too small for three pairs.Depending on the plants,most don't do well at the higher temps,and if getting juvies/sub-adults,easier to grow-out,raise with out gravel.

Elliots
09-28-2013, 04:43 PM
It is between difficult and impossible to sex Discus by sight so do not worry about your mix.

collister
09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
OK so will discus always pair up?

Bill63SG
09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Not always,but if you take care of them well,nature will take its course.With 6 discus,it is likely a pair would form.

LizStreithorst
09-28-2013, 05:56 PM
What size Discus will you be buying? A tank with rocks and plants is not a good idea with young Discus. Don't forget to QT. Remove the pleco if it's not a BN. Guppies don't live a long life at Discus temps.

I would say more but I would end up getting my arse banned, Read around the forum. Read the newbies section.

steinbc
09-28-2013, 10:06 PM
A tank with rocks and plants is not a good idea with young Discus.

Why is this?

Tony C
09-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Why is this?

Water quality is of paramount importance when raising young discus. The simplest and most effective way to maintain that quality is by large daily water changes and the use of a bare bottom tank, neither of which will be appreciated by plants.

Bill63SG
09-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Why is this?

Plenty of reading to do on this forum to answer this question,

collister
09-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Im sorry. I really should have clarified. The plants I have in my tank are fake, and the temp of the water is at 82 degrees. The discus I was looking at were about 2 inches long. Thank your guys for answering that is why I started this thread in the beginner thread to learn and ask questions so I don't screw up. and kill everything. :)