PDA

View Full Version : Over Flows

melita
09-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I thinking about doing a over flow on my tank as apposed to drilling it anyone have any experience with these . My main idea is to run a refugium house some equipment .

pastry
09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
melita, several of us are doing this right now. Toni ("Strawberryblonde"; a mod) has done it before and setting one back up once again. Musicmarn (Marnie) is setting up a sump now but can't remember if she's doing a overflow box. Me, I'm doing a sump but also making my own overflow box. Soooo... you'll have several recent/on going experiences soon to follow up on. If you follow me, you'll probably learn something NOT to do ;)

otherwise, lots of good info on here from people on overflows. also, search back to some old threads in the "plumping" and "filtration" areas of SD.

Tony C
09-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I'm running one on a 55, what do you want to know about them?

musicmarn1
09-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Ooh ooh Elliot I now have to read through and find out where you show me how to make my own overflow box !
:angel:

melita, several of us are doing this right now. Toni ("Strawberryblonde"; a mod) has done it before and setting one back up once again. Musicmarn (Marnie) is setting up a sump now but can't remember if she's doing a overflow box. Me, I'm doing a sump but also making my own overflow box. Soooo... you'll have several recent/on going experiences soon to follow up on. If you follow me, you'll probably learn something NOT to do ;)

otherwise, lots of good info on here from people on overflows. also, search back to some old threads in the "plumping" and "filtration" areas of SD.

pastry
09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Marnie, I actually found it in an ooold thread. I'll try to dig it up for you or at least the link to the DIY site that had some pretty good directions! I've almost got everything. I just need to drill a hole in the outter box for tubing/PVC and then also go pick up some aquarium-safe sealant from Lowes today. If you don't hear back from me later today then shoot me a PM to remind me to find it for you!

update... here it is! http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/70.asp

Ooh ooh Elliot I now have to read through and find out where you show me how to make my own overflow box !
:angel:

melita
09-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Was thinking of buying one but i will fellow some of threads see if i can maybe do ir myself but i would probably flood the house.
Are the bought ones all made equal?

Tony C
09-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Was thinking of buying one but i will fellow some of threads see if i can maybe do ir myself but i would probably flood the house.

I can't imagine there is much difference from brand to brand. They are a very simple design, just two boxes connected by a siphon tube si it would be pretty hard to screw up. :)

melita
09-29-2013, 01:16 PM

pastry
09-29-2013, 02:33 PM
melita, it's actually quite a simple then (and fun) to put together. when I saw the price of some of the ones for sale that solidified my choice of making one. the only hard part for me has been making the whole in the outside container for the PVC pipe to allow the water to drain into the sump. I JUST cracked the hell out of mine when drilling a starter hole but nothing some aquarium-safe silicone can't solve!!! the silicone (Loctite) is sold at Lowes for CHEAP. just think of it as a quick super glue.

Now, since my hole isn't perfect (man, that could be taken out of context), I've taken a ziplock bag, cut a little 1 inch hole (doesn't need to be perfect, just snug when slipping PVC pipe through), then as I just mentioned put the PVC pipe through it to create a sleeve, and whip out the hair dryer (used my wife's... mine was broken... kidding, I don't have my own hair dryer). now heat the portion of the ziplock that is around the hole of the bag so that it shrinks (if you have a heat gun, use that instead). That will make the bag hold onto the pipe so that you can once again whip out your Loctite aquarium-safe silicone and glue the bag around the edge of the hole & PVC.

You can totally do this if you wanted to. Otherwise, if you're okay with purchasing one then definitely go ahead! I just wanted to tell you just some of the stuff I'm doing right now in case you're confident you can do it. PM if you want more details. I PROMISE you that the hole making portion was the most complicated and it really wasn't that bad!

musicmarn1
09-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks so much Elliot ! Brilliant :D I'm making one sump then later getting a custom made and comparing the results

Marnie, I actually found it in an ooold thread. I'll try to dig it up for you or at least the link to the DIY site that had some pretty good directions! I've almost got everything. I just need to drill a hole in the outter box for tubing/PVC and then also go pick up some aquarium-safe sealant from Lowes today. If you don't hear back from me later today then shoot me a PM to remind me to find it for you!

update... here it is! http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/70.asp

Discus415
09-29-2013, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=pastry;1034052]Marnie, I actually found it in an ooold thread. I'll try to dig it up for you or at least the link to the DIY site that had some pretty good directions! I've almost got everything. I just need to drill a hole in the outter box for tubing/PVC and then also go pick up some aquarium-safe sealant from Lowes today. If you don't hear back from me later today then shoot me a PM to remind me to find it for you!

Do you have the brand name or sku number for the aquarium safe sealant from Lowes? I was there but wasn't sure which one to buy.

mshen11
09-29-2013, 05:40 PM
can anyone comment on the possibility of the overflow creating a flood when something goes wrong? everywhere on the internet there are stories of hang on the back (both expensive store bought and home made) overflows gone wrong. that is why i am a bit afraid to do a DIY.

is there a guarantee way of preventing this problem?

pastry
09-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Yep, it's Loctite. I actually finally found it when I googled, "aquarium safe silicone lowes" and it popped right up. When I tried just going to the lowes website then it was a pain in the arse and couldn't find it. Actually, when you google it then this comes up http://www.lowes.com/pd_70512-68-00688_0__?productId=3043227. But that's by DAP. The store I was at had the Loctite version instead. I didn't know Loctite made one (and it definitely says "aquarium safe" on the package).

[QUOTE=pastry;1034052]Marnie, I actually found it in an ooold thread. I'll try to dig it up for you or at least the link to the DIY site that had some pretty good directions! I've almost got everything. I just need to drill a hole in the outter box for tubing/PVC and then also go pick up some aquarium-safe sealant from Lowes today. If you don't hear back from me later today then shoot me a PM to remind me to find it for you!

Do you have the brand name or sku number for the aquarium safe sealant from Lowes? I was there but wasn't sure which one to buy.

pastry
09-29-2013, 06:46 PM
mshen, most people forget about the little hole you need to poke in the hose you use that moves water from the pump back into the tank. if power goes out and you don't have a small hole just below the water line of that hose then no air gets into the hose... which means that hose just became a syphon. People forget that just because the pump is hooked up to the hose, it doesn't mean it stops the flow of water when the pump is off.

look back at that link I gave you and within it will be a link for DIY sump. It goes over that. Very simple hole to do... very costly if you don't do it

can anyone comment on the possibility of the overflow creating a flood when something goes wrong? everywhere on the internet there are stories of hang on the back (both expensive store bought and home made) overflows gone wrong. that is why i am a bit afraid to do a DIY.

is there a guarantee way of preventing this problem?

mshen11
09-29-2013, 09:31 PM
mshen, most people forget about the little hole you need to poke in the hose you use that moves water from the pump back into the tank. if power goes out and you don't have a small hole just below the water line of that hose then no air gets into the hose... which means that hose just became a syphon. People forget that just because the pump is hooked up to the hose, it doesn't mean it stops the flow of water when the pump is off.

look back at that link I gave you and within it will be a link for DIY sump. It goes over that. Very simple hole to do... very costly if you don't do it

I am vaguely aware of this hole as it has been mentioned often. however the way i do water change is this:
right after a water change my tank is about 98% full (around 4pm). i would feed and siphon crap out all throughout the night and once in the morning - but i would not refill. by the next afternoon my tank would be 70-80% full. so on a daily basis i just fill it back up. I do real 50% water changes 3x a week. I can't very well put the hole at 50% mark as I would potentially dump 50% of my tank in worst case scenerio in a power outage. so it looks like its not for me? any other solutions?

melita
10-01-2013, 10:30 PM
now i am wondering if the space is to small under my stand i have about 11 1/2 inches for width is 16 gallons to small to be of any benefit to1i08 main tank I WAS HOPING TO DO 30 BUT NOT GONNA HAPPEN .:(