PDA

View Full Version : moving white spots

alcastro
09-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello everyone need some help, i got a fewt tanks whith these moving little spots like little flakes, they are hard to see, they look like tiny bubbles on glass but they move arounrd in all directions and at times they look like they jump. one tank they hang aroung the top, i used salt, metro, and pp and they are still alive, i worried if they could harm my discus, i do 25 to 50% water changes and remove old food from tanke, and clean the walls once a week, dont know how long i had them, i just had a magnifying glass and looked aroun a bit, 8039380394 any help

Madaboutdiscus
09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Ive seen these in my tank they look lile bubbles that shimmy around all over. Im interested to see what everyone else says. But I do believe they call them water fleas or daphnia.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

White Worm
09-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Most likely planaria which are harmless to the discus. Up the water changes and cut back on food left-overs.

Madaboutdiscus
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I do wcs daily clean glass and filter contents daily and theyre still there lol. Ive resigned myself to living with them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ktltn04
09-29-2013, 09:52 PM
cut down feeding or take out left over food, raise temp to 86-88, add some salt if you can

alcastro
09-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Sorry people someone is using my computer, I am doing a large 90% water change on three 20 gallon tanks I will cut back on feeding and step up my maint. Will raise temp and what kind of salt and how much

flutterbug
09-29-2013, 10:56 PM
I have read they are from overfeeding, however to have healthy Discus you need to feed more than most fish. So it is a catch 22! I think just wiping down the glass every day with paper towels would help a great deal. I use a sponge on a stick most days but paper towels help get the stuff out of the tank instead of making it float around in the water.

alcastro
09-29-2013, 11:13 PM
I got a 150 gallon display tank it's clean no moving white dots fleas, i overfeed them and see no fleas, i do maintain it with it's own pump and hoses so i wonder how they apeared on the other tanks they dont appear to effect the discus ?

Gene
09-30-2013, 02:34 AM
Nothing to worry about. I had em a few months ago in one tank even though my discus weren't leaving leftovers. Just wipe the walls and bottom down more often with your wc's and they'll disappear sooner or later.

mastermamo
09-30-2013, 05:29 AM
I had these too. Simple fix. Wipe down the glass, do a WC of say 30-40% and should be sorted. I never saw them appear again

MKD
09-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Yeah and agree the above. theyare from overfeeding and notice those stay at the current more. don't worry too much Al
just adjust feeding and wipedown.

fyi I got this from overfeeding
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?89011-Where-is-this-coming-from&highlight=

alcastro
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Thank you all i feel better now, i will stay on top of it,

BODYDUB
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I've had them in the past and I'm pretty sure they are copepods...............

Elliots
09-30-2013, 03:47 PM
They are definitely not Daphnia. Daphnia are much larger and swim around the tank. If you google them you will probably see what they look like. Daphnia are a food source for fish so your fish will eat them and they will disappear.

alcastro
10-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Ok update on the the spots, i cleaned 4 20gallon tanks and wipe them downd daily sofar all good, the fith 20 gallon tank moved fish and drained water to half way, no wiping or cleaning and the spots turned into these white long slidering things, so i poured bleach about 1/4 cup for ten gallons and as soon as the bleach hit the water they shrunk but still move a little so i poured some pp, hope the tank don't blow up. any idea as to what they can be since they transformed.

yim11
10-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Ok update on the the spots, i cleaned 4 20gallon tanks and wipe them downd daily sofar all good, the fith 20 gallon tank moved fish and drained water to half way, no wiping or cleaning and the spots turned into these white long slidering things, so i poured bleach about 1/4 cup for ten gallons and as soon as the bleach hit the water they shrunk but still move a little so i poured some pp, hope the tank don't blow up. any idea as to what they can be since they transformed.

"these white long slidering things" would probably planaria and are different from the copepod issue you started with, granted both are caused from over feeding and under cleaning. The planaria are much easier to eradicate than the copes IME, lil formalin usually gets them. What surprises me is that anything made it through a PP treatment. If they keep coming back you might really need to focus more on the feeding and cleaning routines.

alcastro
10-03-2013, 12:58 AM
thanks for your imput, yes i have cut the feeding and clean bottom and sides so far looks ok, the pictures are of a tank that i took the fish out and left it half way with water and did no cleaning, i was surprised of what they turned in to, i will reserch planaria thanks