PDA

View Full Version : LED lights for discus advices

trungnguyen
09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I am working on my 100 gallon tank (5 feet long) with canopy for my discus. I have looked for LED light set up for a while, but nothing. My set up will be just gravel, driftwood, water and discus. Therefore, I want to set up the bright of lights that are good enough and not harming discus's eyes (sorry because I don't know much about lightings stuffs). Does anyone know what LED lights set up that I can attach under the canopy?

I have seen some good lighting set ups but they seem impossible to installing under the canopy…

Thanks

Skip
09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
I made my own using ikea led light. . Go to my homestead.. I have a thread on how I built it.. see if it could work for your hiod

trungnguyen
09-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Can you provide me the link to go to your led thread, I couldn't find it.
Thanks

trungnguyen
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking about the white set from ikea for main light and color one for effect.
I just want to have enough light to see the fish, no live plants

Skip
09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
No..
I am on phone.. but I don't think u looked very hard.. its there. .

steinbc
09-30-2013, 10:21 PM
trungnguyen, you are after the same thing I am right know. Here is a link to warlocks LED build. Looks like a project I may bight off.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?100550-LED-LIGHT-BUILD&highlight=ikea

Skip
09-30-2013, 10:29 PM
trungnguyen, you are after the same thing I am right know. Here is a link to warlocks LED build. Looks like a project I may bight off.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?100550-LED-LIGHT-BUILD&highlight=ikea

if i were to do it again.. i might use the HOME DEPOT yard stick... instead of 1x2.. to make it thinner up top..

Len
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a set from home depot that wrks pretty well. It has 3 one foot sections that would do well in a 5 foot tank. It cost about $70, but cheaper in the US im sure.

no dimming, just on or off.

Dave's Discus
09-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Reef Coral in Baton Rouge, LA sells LED strips 3-4' long that can be attached inside a canopy with screws. The even swivel. Not sure of brand, but you could google, LED aquarium light strip and find retailer or order online.

Hi all,

I am working on my 100 gallon tank (5 feet long) with canopy for my discus. I have looked for LED light set up for a while, but nothing. My set up will be just gravel, driftwood, water and discus. Therefore, I want to set up the bright of lights that are good enough and not harming discus's eyes (sorry because I don't know much about lightings stuffs). Does anyone know what LED lights set up that I can attach under the canopy?

I have seen some good lighting set ups but they seem impossible to installing under the canopy…

Thanks

Dave's Discus
09-30-2013, 10:56 PM
These were very expensive when I bought them.

Reef Coral in Baton Rouge, LA sells LED strips 3-4' long that can be attached inside a canopy with screws. The even swivel. Not sure of brand, but you could google, LED aquarium light strip and find retailer or order online.

Discus-n00b
09-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Beamworks brand off ebay. Cheap, they look good, and do the job. Plug and play.

Madaboutdiscus
09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Beamworks brand off ebay. Cheap, they look good, and do the job. Plug and play.

+1 love mine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

trungnguyen
10-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Does anyone have experience with Ecoxotic stunner LED strip lights?
I'm thinking to get 2 strips of 8000K white light for my 100 gallon tank...
Any advice?
Thanks

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 02:31 PM
How tall is your tank? I am pretty sure you will find the Ecoxotic stunner lights very dim for your application. Current is making some very reasonable freshwater LED sets. I am trying a couple of them out over my larger tanks and they work well for non-planted tanks.

nikond70s
10-01-2013, 03:48 PM
best bang for your buck. i would go with the flood led. they're about $18-50 from 10w-50w

or u can go with the beamswork led. also cheap. ranges from $30-$80

i currently used the ebay flood leds. i hang them above my tank. u can hang them inside ur canopy. and they create nice shimmering effects with high currents. i got the 10w flood leds. cost me about $50 for 3. but currently only using 2 cuz i dont want it to brght

DonMD
10-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Did you check out BuildMyLED.com? They're members here on Simply. Prices are competitive, and their lights are built specifically for aquariums, with lots of options you can play with on their web site.

trungnguyen
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for advices
Pat, my tank is 2 ft tall

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone for advices
Pat, my tank is 2 ft tall

I have a 36 fixture on my 230. It's 30 inches tall. :)

trungnguyen
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I see. Is it too bright or anything Pat?
I ordered the Ecoxotic Stunner LED strip 48 inches...I don't know that would be too bright or dim for my tank. If it's too bright, I think I would get the dimmer controller or something.
I have been working on my 100 gallon tank. Just finished the stand and canopy today. So excited for this weekend

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
It's not to bright for me and it works well on wild fish. Definitely not for a planted tank. I hope the stunner is bright enough.

trungnguyen
10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Can you show me the photos of your tank with that lights? Sorry, I am just curious about that :D
I don't keep plants, just gravel and driftwood...For some reasons, my discus really like driftwood. Whenever they see that, they lay eggs on that all the time, but no hatching because I use straight tap water (no age) and community tank....maybe later...Now they are in the 55 gallon tank....10 of them, I know it's crowded but they are fine with big water change everyday....

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Can you show me the photos of your tank with that lights? Sorry, I am just curious about that :D
I don't keep plants, just gravel and driftwood...For some reasons, my discus really like driftwood. Whenever they see that, they lay eggs on that all the time, but no hatching because I use straight tap water (no age) and community tank....maybe later...Now they are in the 55 gallon tank....10 of them, I know it's crowded but they are fine with big water change everyday....

The tank with the background is half the 230 at 30 inches tall, the other tank is a 90 and believe it is 24 inches tall

trungnguyen
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
They look nice and enough bright for the fish and viewers.
Thank you Pat.

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 09:31 PM
You are welcome :D I have three of them.

Second Hand Pat
10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Here's the links

Try this and if a bit to long

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/current-satellite-plus-freshwater-led-48-60-inch.html

Try this one

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/current-satellite-plus-freshwater-led-36-48-inch.html

and read up on it. It is a cool little fixture.