PDA

View Full Version : First wilds project... looking for advices ;)

vendetta
10-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi dudes...

Currently I have two display tanks.. one is focused in domestic discus; and I installed a new tank in my new apartment which currently only have two young discus who where kicked by others because their size.

My story with wilds started when in a fish market I bought a strange (for me) discus.. a Green Tefe.. at the beginning was difficult took care of him.. only accepted live food but then started to eat very well and currently is a nice discus.

Looking for information about wilds I was impressed for their colors, strains, forms, behaviour, etc, etc.. I looked for new wilds but in Mexico there aren't good quality wilds :(

Only colombians and peruvians arrive because we don't have commercial agreements with Brasil.

Buuuuut... an importer and good discus partner going to bring wilds from USA to Mexico in the finals days of October.. so I'm totally exited learning a lot of wilds to have the opportunity to have a little group.

So.. I'm writting to you for some advices to be prepared.

My display tank is 95g, my parameters are:

pH: 5.5
GH: 1
KH: 4

I'm using RO water with mineralized salt; after a lot of doubts I have a stable pH since two months ago, in this tank. The tank only have floating plants and driftwood, I want to recreate a amazon biotope... but I can't colour the water with the classic brown color.. I don't know why.. maybe because I boiled my driftwood before introduce it to the tank.

My intention is to have a little group of 4 medium size wilds... maybe Cuipeua I really like these strain... but as all fans I'm impressed by Heckels.. but I think they are more difficult to adapt and I don't want to fail in my first attempt.

I have some Cory cats and maybe I'll add two Mesonautas or some cichilds like Ramirezzis, I don't know what other tank mates do you recommend me for a straight biotope?

I have a canister filter, sponge internal filter and WC each 3 days. I'm feeding my discus with Tetra Color, blood worm azoo, pap and live blackworms.

So.. Can you give some advices to have a good tank focused in wilds?.. Do you think is very difficult to start with Heckels?.. Do you think is more easy start with other kind of wilds?

Ahhh yeah... I read in the forum that a lot of members have mixed wilds and domestics, and in the other hand I read a lot of opions about it isn't recommended mix wilds and domestics.. so.. currently I have two discus in this tank, I don't have problems to move to other tank, but they are very happy there.. so what do you think about mix discus?

Thanks ;)

Trier20
10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Have you joined the intro to wilds group that Pat is running?

Second Hand Pat
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
He has Brandon. We have not covered beginner wilds, mixing wilds and domestics and staining the water using rooibos tea yet. Me bad.

V, tank and water parameters look good.

vendetta
10-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Trier20: Hi.. yes... I'm suscribed.. actually I read a lot of post of Pat and Discusn00b.. I like a lot their tanks and discus.

Pat: Thanks.. what do you think about the challenge of starting into the wild world with Heckels instead of another strain?

Second Hand Pat
10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
V, there are many people who start with heckels so if that is where you want go. :) Personal choice really. I just acquired my first heckels about six months ago and they are growing and doing well.

DiscusBR
10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
I want to recreate a amazon biotope... but I can't colour the water with the classic brown color.. I don't know why.. maybe because I boiled my driftwood before introduce it to the tank.
(...)
I have some Cory cats and maybe I'll add two Mesonautas or some cichilds like Ramirezzis, I don't know what other tank mates do you recommend me for a straight biotope?

Recreating a biotope means recreating the exact environment where the fish come from. In the case of wild discus, this usually entails having sand as substrate (a lot of people, including myself, use pool filter sand) and some driftwood branches coming from the top. Usually no plants are added. The tankmates also need to come from the same region as the discus. Mesonautas and cories can work. However, Mesonautas (Festivus) can be a bit too agressive, especially during feeding time (discus are slow eaters). Ramirezzis are great tankmates, but they would not fit a biotope. They come from Colombia and Venezuela, not from the Amazon areas where discus are found, especially the Cuipeuas. Other possible tankmates for a biotope: Cardinal Tetras, Lemon Tetras and Rummynose Tetras (Rhodostomus).

There is no need to worry with the color of the water. Driftwood will color the water in the beginning, but the effect quickly goes away with time.

Instead of trying to establish a biotope (which is hard) you might just want to establish a community tank that resembles a biotope. You will be just as happy.

My intention is to have a little group of 4 medium size wilds... maybe Cuipeua I really like these strain... but as all fans I'm impressed by Heckels.. but I think they are more difficult to adapt and I don't want to fail in my first attempt.

(...)

Ahhh yeah... I read in the forum that a lot of members have mixed wilds and domestics, and in the other hand I read a lot of opions about it isn't recommended mix wilds and domestics.. so.. currently I have two discus in this tank, I don't have problems to move to other tank, but they are very happy there.. so what do you think about mix discus?

I am a big fan of Cuipeuas myself :) It all depends on personal preference. But if it was me I would get 6 or 7 (rather than the 4 you are planning) green Tefes or Cuipeuas and move the two domestics out. You would have a beautiful wild discus tank.

Second Hand Pat
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Good point Mauro, I love my single strain wild tanks.

vendetta
10-03-2013, 01:08 PM
However, Mesonautas (Festivus) can be a bit too agressive, especially during feeding time (discus are slow eaters). Ramirezzis are great tankmates, but they would not fit a biotope. They come from Colombia and Venezuela, not from the Amazon areas where discus are found, especially the Cuipeuas. Other possible tankmates for a biotope: Cardinal Tetras, Lemon Tetras and Rummynose Tetras (Rhodostomus).

Ok... I'll get a group of cardinals tetras; I like them a lot, but are not common here; most part of sellers have Neon Tetras; but maybe next months they'll be available.

I would get 6 or 7 (rather than the 4 you are planning) green Tefes or Cuipeuas and move the two domestics out. You would have a beautiful wild discus tank.

Probably I can't get more than 4 discus :( ... the average cost of good quality discus in Mexico is of thirty times more expensive than their original cost... so, if I want to get more than 4 discus I will need to sell my kydney jejejeje :P

Pat... yeah, this is my idea.. a single strain tank ;)

NanDiscus
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
A group of six wilds or more.
Start advertising. ;)

Nandi

vendetta
10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Advertising? o_O

plecocicho
10-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Your eventual wild discus fry.