PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out whats up...

dillpickle
10-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Fry: Fry are dying. That is all that I notice wrong...They all eat well and are very active. Then one or two fry will start swimming at the surface with their head up, gasping for air sometimes turning sideways until they die then they go to the bottom. The fry are around 2-3cm.

Parents: Still spawning, active, healthy, eating normally, but I am noticing they are steadily losing weight.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Fry: None...Although an odd thing I noticed was when I was feeding white worms, I noticed a white worm crawling out the anus of a dead fry.

Parents: Losing weight

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None, but increased water changes on the fry.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Parents: 37gal, 2 golden pigeons for breeding. Going for while now... 7-8 months maybe?

Fry: 10 gal, 70-80 fry, 40% water change morning or afternoon, 80% at night.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Parents: 50% every 2-3 days

Fry: 40% morning or afternoon, 80% at night

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

All tanks are barebottom

Fry tank has been going for maybe 3.5-4 weeks, parents fro maybe around 7-8 months.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Parents: 1/5 tap 4/5 RO. Gives me a TDS of around 50-70 TDS

Fry: 100% Tap.

Goes from around 8.1-8.2 down to around 7.8

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 85 for parents, and 86-87 for grow out tank

- ph 7.2 parents, 7.8-7.7 fry tank

- ammonia reading 0ppm

- nitrite reading 0ppm

- nitrate reading: less than 10ppm breeding tank, always below 5ppm for grow-out tank, usually 3-4 before water change.

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100% for growout tanks, 1/5 tap for parents

- RO water 4/5 RO for parents

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.[/B][/B][/B][/B]

Not really anything to show...

I have noticed the weight loss ever since i started feeding a shrimp, cod, and beef heart mix. Also, i have what I believe to be a population of water fleas (maybe dahpina) living in the tank. Also I occasionally see these small worms (less than 1 cm) that sometimes have a population bloom. I believe these to be detritus worms of some type.

Any help appreciated.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Before your water changes, try wiping down the glass and then perform water changes to remove as much debree as possible.

Are you treating the tap water? Aging it? Testing it before and after? What are you feeding the fry?

dillpickle
10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Before your water changes, try wiping down the glass and then perform water changes to remove as much debree as possible.

Are you treating the tap water? Aging it? Testing it before and after? What are you feeding the fry?

ya, sorry for not be more specific. Was just in a rush. I am treating my tap water with prime and ageing/pre-heating it. goes from 8.1-8.2 down to 7.8. I am feeding the fry - my beef heart miX (there is a ton of stuff in there) FDBW, and someitmes FD brine shrimp. I wipe down the glass about every 4 days.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Fry/Juvies are very sensitive to water conditions at their early development. Clean water, clean glass, clean tank is very important. It seems you are doing a good job but try more frquent wipe-downs. Even if you can't see anything, something might be there.

Could you possibly be overfeeding them? Beefheart mix can foul a tank quicker than most foods and it should be removed as soon as you see they are not eating or there bellies are full.

PP_GBR
10-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Inspect and clean inside the base of the sponge filter if you have one in your tank.

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi Dylan, do the fry deaths happen after feeding FD brine shrimp? Since you have 70+ fry in a 10 they must be small. I am thinking that the fry are eating the FD brine shrimp and the shrimp are continuing to swell with moisture causing the bellies on the fry to rupture.

With the parents is it possible they have worms?

dillpickle
10-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Clean water, clean glass, clean tank is very important. It seems you are doing a good job but try more frquent wipe-downs

I will try to clean the glass more often to see if it helps

Could you possibly be overfeeding them?

Possibility with the beff heart mix I suppose....I will feed less for sure. Thanks for the help jeff

Inspect and clean inside the base of the sponge filter if you have one in your tank.

Will do, thanks for the help

Hi Dylan, do the fry deaths happen after feeding FD brine shrimp? Since you have 70+ fry in a 10 they must be small. I am thinking that the fry are eating the FD brine shrimp and the shrimp are continuing to swell with moisture causing the bellies on the fry to rupture.

With the parents is it possible they have worms?

Hi, yes the fry are quite small, maybe 2 cm average. Possibility could be the FDBS. Could this also be happening with FDBW? Thing is a always do a cycle of feeding between FDBW, BH, and FDBS so i am not sure if it is the FDBH. I do notice though that when they are on the surface they have greyish coloured swollen bellies.

As for the parents, not sure. I have no idea were they would have gotten them from. Not very experienced/knowledgeable on worms though. I guess it would explain the weight loss.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

dillpickle
10-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Any other info or help would of course be appricated:D

dillpickle
10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Well yesterday the entire tank got a complete scrub down. Looks just like new lol. No deaths now for 24 hrs. They have been getting fed only the beef heart mix. Any way to figure out what is causing the weight loss for the parents?

dillpickle
10-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Fry, are doing well. Still no deaths. As for the parents the weight loss is very noticable now. I can actually see the spine pretty far to the head on the male and a good portion on the female. After doing some reading I am thinking of trying a prazi treatment. Any ideas?

Greg Adamson
10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I am trying to figure things out. I am setting up an 110 gal. aquarium for Discus and I have purchased a EHEIM professional e 2078 external filter (I'm also using a sponge filter in the tank) and this sophisticated external filter has a constant flow setting or a "stream setting." I have set it for stream setting which is supposed to simulate the conditions of a large stream water flow in the aquarium. Is this the appropriate setting or is this just a gimmick and is not a material factor in helping to maintain the aquarium? Has anyone used this external filter? There is a 12 hour/24 hour feature that I have not activated. Is that helpful or a gimmick? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks. It has been 30 years since I last had an aquarium in my home so I'm getting through the learning curve. My 15 three-inch discus fish from a reliable breeder arrives next week and I'd like things to be working properly. I've been running the tank with a half-dozen "neon" fish for the past 30 days to get the system initialized. I've got RO water in the tank with a dual EHEIM heater system on each end of the aquarium showing a constant temp of 86 degrees.

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Greg, could you please create your own thread with your question. You posted in someone's disease thread which is not the right place for your question.
Thank you,
Pat

yim11
10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
One thing that stands out to me - is all your feed freeze dried? If so, are you hydrating it completely before putting it in the tank?

dillpickle
10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Yim. N,o the only food freeze dried is the blackworms and the brine shrimp. Should I be soaking the Freeze dried food before feeding?

PP_GBR
10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Feed them frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Search for deworm threads here. Try Brewmaster(sp) RXs.

Moon
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
The small worms that you have in your tank are Planaria. They are harmless but a symptom of overfeeding. Try reducing the amount of feed and clean tanks more often.

dillpickle
10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Alright, just thought I would give an update. No deaths since I stopped feeding freeze dried foods. I am going to try prazi on the parents.

Thanks for the help everyone.

dillpickle
10-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Guess I spoke too soon...Had another die today. It was a little smaller than the rest though...:(