PDA

View Full Version : Question on food

krislewis3
10-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Do any of you have this problem: flake food at the bottom of the bag turns to powder, and ends up being thrown away!!! What a waste! I got to thinking that if I could take the powdery food, and press it back into decent sized flakes, it would save some $$!
Can any of you advise me on how to accomplish this??

Bill63SG
10-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Wet it and place it on a flat tray,or just add it to your beefheart mix,or keep it for fry.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Wet it and place it on a flat tray,or just add it to your beefheart mix,or keep it for fry.

+1

krislewis3
10-08-2013, 11:31 AM

+1

Thanks guys for the info.....I'll try that

Ryan
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
It's great for fry or grow-outs, and also small fish like tetras and livebearers. I've been feeding freeze-dried blackworm dust and the leftover flake powder you describe to my Endler's livebearers from Barb. They love it.

DonMD
10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
It's great for fry or grow-outs, and also small fish like tetras and livebearers. I've been feeding freeze-dried blackworm dust and the leftover flake powder you describe to my Endler's livebearers from Barb. They love it.

Ryan, how do you get the FDBW dust to sink ? ? ?

Ryan
10-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I always just swirl it in a cup of water and pour it in. Most cichlid fry will eat it from the surface once they realize what it is.

krislewis3
10-09-2013, 06:04 AM
I don't have any fry, and don't plan on them. I've noticed that my discus like LARGE flakes. They ignore the small flakes, and and the powder, which makes a huge mess in the tank, not to mention the $$ waste!
I'll be trying the above mentioned system of turning it back into large flakes!!
Btw, how much , and often do you guys feed your adult discus. What combo. Of foods should they have to ensure good health?

Tazalanche
10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Btw, how much , and often do you guys feed your adult discus. What combo. Of foods should they have to ensure good health?
Here's a thread where everyone was discussing their feeding routines:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?107105-Post-Your-favorite-food-feeding-routine-for-your-fish-here