PDA

View Full Version : Eheim canister filter

donnacona
10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Sorry
I guess I was on the wrong forum maybe someone might have an opinion here.
I recently lost the transformer in my Eheim filter and bought new one. My question is, would it be of benefit if I use my old filter in series as a pre filter, and the new one after that. Just a thought. Any comments. Don't want to throw away the old one if it is of some use.
Stu

lipadj46
10-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes you can do that. Asian shrimp keepers do that with 3 or 4 canisters in series with the last one running. It supposedly acts as a denitrating filter as the middle canisters are aenarobic not sure if I believe that though. Remove the impeller from the filter that is not running. Seems like a pain to keep clean though, one canister is a pain enough.

donnacona
10-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes you can do that. Asian shrimp keepers do that with 3 or 4 canisters in series with the last one running. It supposedly acts as a denitrating filter as the middle canisters are aenarobic not sure if I believe that though. Remove the impeller from the filter that is not running. Seems like a pain to keep clean though, one canister is a pain enough.

Thank you for answering,
Yes I understand about the impeller. So your saying I'm wasting my time.
Because I would not gain anything by doing so except giving myself more work at cleaning time.
Stu

lipadj46
10-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Unless the canister is undersized for your tank then yeah the second I'm thinking would just be more work and would reduce your flow also.