PDA

View Full Version : Fungus possibly from injuries

Gorf
10-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Today I noticed fungus on the face of the alpha female. She has been fighting with 2 other females to retain the attention of the only active male. I think that the fungus is from injuries.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Eating normal, behaviour normal, fighting as normal. Fungus-like appearance on head.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

260 litres. 6x 4½" sub-adult Discus approx 9 months old. Kept for 3 months.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

50% - 3 times per week.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank running for 10 months. Sand substrate, depth between ½" & 1½ inches around plants.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Aged for 24 hours. pH between 6.6 & 7.0, generally pH 6.8. constantly monitored.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____ 28°C

- ph _____ 6.8

- ammonia reading ____ 0ppm

- nitrite reading ____ 0ppm

- nitrate reading ____ 5-10ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

100% HMA water.

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

None.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/Biscuit6/JanetFungus1_zps02384a56.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/Biscuit6/JanetFungus3_zps56c2ecfe.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y414/Biscuit6/JanetFungus5_zps8dafffdb.jpg

Keith Perkins
10-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Given the location of the wounds, I'd just start with increasing the WCs and see if that doesn't clear it up. It doesn't look too bad to me at this point.

Gorf
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Thank you Keith

I will increase the water changes.

Looking very closely, I think what I assumed to be fungus is actually damaged skin. Assuming that the male & female #2 spawn tomorrow, I will remove the eggs as normal & the male will probably got back with this female - which should reduce the fighting.

Gorf
10-14-2013, 12:22 PM
She's looking much better today.

Keith Perkins
10-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Glad to hear it.