PDA

View Full Version : How to sterilize a fish tank?

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
How do you sterilize an old, dirty tank?
If any one has any ideas on how to sterilize this tank let me know please..I need to use it for QT when fish from Kenny arrive.
Thanks

I don't have PP..

*and don't worry I don't plan on keeping that background lol

Skip
10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
spray down entire inside with RUBBING ALCOHOL.. let it air dry done..

I have also used hydrogen peroxide..

or..

fill it up.. a little bleach.. and then rinse. and the rinse..

all three would work.. :)

Nu2Discus
10-15-2013, 05:57 PM
If you have calcium build up it comes off with vinegar. The stronger the concentration, the easier it is to remove.

To sterile, I was told to mix up bleach in a 1:19 ratio with water and put it in a squirt bottle and spray away. Then leave it overnight. The next day rinse well, and finally add water and prime to rinse again. Then check for chlorine to make sure it's all gone.

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
spray down entire inside with RUBBING ALCOHOL.. let it air dry done..

I have also used hydrogen peroxide..

or..

fill it up.. a little bleach.. and then rinse. and the rinse..

all three would work.. :)

How would I MAKE SURE that there is no bleach/rubbing alchohol left inside?
Last thing I need is for all fish to die because of bleach residue. And just to make clear..I let the rubbing alchohol AIR DRY without wiping sides with it first? Thnx

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
If you have calcium build up it comes off with vinegar. The stronger the concentration, the easier it is to remove.

To sterile, I was told to mix up bleach in a 1:19 ratio with water and put it in a squirt bottle and spray away. Then leave it overnight. The next day rinse well, and finally add water and prime to rinse again. Then check for chlorine to make sure it's all gone.

Thank you..and how do I check for chlorine?? So don't wipe sides with bleach, just spray ?didnt know the vinegar thing , thanks :)

Chicago Discus
10-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Just use bleach fill the tank up with warm water pour in a 1/4 cup of bleach per 50 gallons and use a pump to agitate the water let sit for 24 hours flush the tank out then refill with water and double dose the tank with prime let sit 24 hours drain and let air dry for a minimum of 24 hour. Make the tank is bone dry them refill and start using the tank......Josie

Nu2Discus
10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
To actually check for chlorine you have to get some sort of test kit for it. I got mine from the filter guys, when I ordered my filter. I would think any test for chlorine would work. But I have heard that the pool kits are not sensitive enough. I haven't tried those.

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Just use bleach fill the tank up with warm water pour in a 1/4 cup of bleach per 50 gallons and use a pump to agitate the water let sit for 24 hours flush the tank out then refill with water and double dose the tank with prime let sit 24 hours drain and let air dry for a minimum of 24 hour. Make the tank is bone dry them refill and start using the tank......Josie

Thanks Josie, can I use an airstone?

Skip
10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Alcohol evaporates... gone...

Hydrogen peroxide becomes water...

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Don't have xtra Airpump. Can I just let water sit or will that make the bleach in effective?..

Chicago Discus
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Don't have xtra Airpump. Can I just let water sit or will that make the bleach in effective?..

no it will work I just like to move the water around when Im sterilizing a tank

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Here's the plan:
1. Fill tank up w/ warm water and add bleach
2. Let it sit for 24 hrs
3. Empty and fill with water doubled dosed with Safe
4. Empty after 24 hrs
5. Let air dry for 48 hrs
6. Fill tank with water and add "dither" fish to make sure bleach is gone, leave fish in there for 2 days and if they aren't dead then I will empty tank and put it aside until new arrivals come.

Please tell me if I need to modify/add a step,
Thanks

Chicago Discus
10-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Here's the plan:
2. Let it sit for 24 hrs
4. Empty after 24 hrs
6. Fill tank with water and add "dither" fish to make sure bleach is gone, leave fish in there for 2 days and if they aren't dead then I will empty tank and put it aside until new arrivals come.

Thanks

sounds good no need to add fish to test this method will work and is very safe.......Josie

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
sounds good no need to add fish to test this method will work and is very safe.......Josie

Ok thanks!..Just a bid of assurance that's all, my first time bleaching a tank ;)

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Another thing R is make sure the tank is flat and level before filling with water and allowed to sit.

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Another thing R is make sure the tank is flat and level before filling with water and allowed to sit.

Never even thought of that..thanks pat!

Bill63SG
10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Here's the plan:
2. Let it sit for 24 hrs
4. Empty after 24 hrs

Thanks

People freak out when they hear bleach,but its just basically chlorine,your de-chlor will handle it.

Keith Perkins
10-15-2013, 08:27 PM
People freak out when they hear bleach,but its just basically chlorine,your de-chlor will handle it.

+1 Besides that if you let the tank completely air dry the chlorine evaporates and doesn't leave any residue. If you let it completely air dry you don't even have to use dechlorinator, but it's cheap insurance and at the price of discus I understand why most people do.

jimg
10-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Here's the plan:
2. Let it sit for 24 hrs
4. Empty after 24 hrs

Thanks
Absolutely no reason to go through all that . as mentioned scrub with plain water or better the hydrogen peroxide then spray with alcohol let air dry, rinse awhile later your done. anything that could effect the fish is long gone if tank was empty for a couple weeks or so. whatever MAY be there to harm fish, (which is slim to none) after that would be only cysts that bleach alcohol pp etc will not kill anyway. there is no real way to sterilize unless using steam, heat etc.

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Is this type of bleach OK?

Don't have hydrogen peroxide but I think I may be able to buy at Walgreens, is it the one with 3% hydrogen peroxide in it?
http://m.walgreens.com/mt/www.walgreens.com/q/hydrogen-peroxide

Skip
10-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Don't have hydrogen peroxide but I think I may be able to buy at Walgreens, is it the one with 3% hydrogen peroxide in it?

no!!

That's comet! DONT USE THAT EVER!!!

Liquid bleach!.. like clorox

Yes.. walgreens has hydro and rubbing alcohol

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Geezus no!!

That's comet! DONT USE THAT EVER!!!

Thanks for stopping me. How bout the Clorox liquid bleach?

Keith Perkins
10-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Clorox is fine, just avoid the type with added scent.

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Clorox is fine, just avoid the type with added scent.

Got it. Thanks

Chicago Discus
10-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Oh my god no, not that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GZVUfKFwMA

Discusdude7
10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Oh my god no, not that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GZVUfKFwMA

Ryan
10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
The cheaper the bleach, the better. I don't use the splashless stuff because it's thick and I have no idea what they add to it in order to get it that way. Also, no scents. Just straight bleach from Walmart, Walgreens, etc. you can use Chlorox or just a store brand.

But as was mentioned, if the tank has been dry for a long time, just fill it with hot water, scrub it down, and rinse. You probably don't even need the bleach.

Discusdude7
10-16-2013, 06:41 AM
The cheaper the bleach, the better. I don't use the splashless stuff because it's thick and I have no idea what they add to it in order to get it that way. Also, no scents. Just straight bleach from Walmart, Walgreens, etc. you can use Chlorox or just a store brand.

But as was mentioned, if the tank has been dry for a long time, just fill it with hot water, scrub it down, and rinse. You probably don't even need the bleach.

How much is the dosage for liquid bleach? Same as the dosage for the powdered bleach?

Keith Perkins
10-16-2013, 07:54 AM
The dosing recommendations you received were for liquid bleach. I see the two recommendations were vastly different, honestly either would probably be fine. I usually mix my solution fairly strong in a bucket and wipe the tank down rather than fill the tank with water, but again either method is probably fine.

Ps. - I'm with Ryan, I buy the cheap stuff. Chlorine is a nasty bug killer no matter who's name is on the label.

John_Nicholson
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
I have used bleach forever and have never had an issue. I run a couple of inches of water into the tank, add some bleach....and no I don't measure it.....find a pair of my wife's rubber gloves, take a washrag and wipe everything down. Bleach pretty much kill son contact so I don't worry about filling the tank completely up. Once I know that I have covered everything up I do fill and drain the tank a couple of three times and add twice the prime. I don't normally let it sit for 24 hours but that is because if I am cleaning a tank then I need it. From the time I start cleaning to the time fish are swimming in it is normally about 30 - 45 minutes.

-john

nc0gnet0
10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I have used bleach forever and have never had an issue. I run a couple of inches of water into the tank, add some bleach....and no I don't measure it.....find a pair of my wife's rubber gloves, take a washrag and wipe everything down. Bleach pretty much kill son contact so I don't worry about filling the tank completely up. Once I know that I have covered everything up I do fill and drain the tank a couple of three times and add twice the prime. I don't normally let it sit for 24 hours but that is because if I am cleaning a tank then I need it. From the time I start cleaning to the time fish are swimming in it is normally about 30 - 45 minutes.

-john

+1

I really don't understand why people are so afraid to death of bleach, or a small amount of residual bleach. Peeps, bleach is just water and chlorine (provided you dont use the scented kind). The same dang chorine you find in your water, which you feel perfectly fine treating with dechlor. The shear math of what "residual" chlorine might be left behind after a good rinsing of the tank after a bleach treatment would only allow for a minute increase in the chlorine levels of what is normally found in your tap water. Relax, and bleach away.

-Rick

DiscusLoverJeff
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM

-john

+1 Very simple process as John explained.

Most people kill their fish for other reasons than worrying about bleach or chlorine.

Skip
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Isn't this how Kraig killed some fish

nc0gnet0
10-16-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.lakecounty-mt.org/envhealth/pdf/water_quality/CONVERTING%20HOUSEHOLD%20BLEACH%20TO.pdf

Discusdude7
10-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Isn't this how Kraig killed some fish

Bleach?

Discusdude7
10-16-2013, 03:20 PM

-john

That made me feel better.

Discusdude7
10-16-2013, 03:20 PM
+1

I really don't understand why people are so afraid to death of bleach, or a small amount of residual bleach. Peeps, bleach is just water and chlorine (provided you dont use the scented kind). The same dang chorine you find in your water, which you feel perfectly fine treating with dechlor. The shear math of what "residual" chlorine might be left behind after a good rinsing of the tank after a bleach treatment would only allow for a minute increase in the chlorine levels of what is normally found in your tap water. Relax, and bleach away.

-Rick

I never thought about it like that...thanks

Discusdude7
10-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Just put on 4 th layer of paint.
Cleaned thw whole tank w/ vinegar yeasturday..is bleach still needed?

Discusdude7
10-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Just put on 4 th layer of paint.
Cleaned thw whole tank w/ vinegar yeasturday..is bleach still needed?

Any input?

Nu2Discus
10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
While the vinegar does have some disinfecting properties, it's not bleach. The vinegar is great for removing calcium stains and deposits. The bleach will be playing it safe. You might as well do it, and have peace of mind.

Discusdude7
10-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I Added a teaspoon of safe to 25 gallons to make sure all bleach will be gone a few hrs ago. I think that's like 8 times the normal dosage. There is No ill effects to OVERDOSING by this much right? Still works the same ?

Ryan
10-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Are you cycling the tank before your fish get here, or do you have cycled filters ready to go? When are you getting the fish?

My suggestion, if you're not cycling the filters in the tank, is to empty the whole thing and let it sit dry until the day before you get your fish. The day before your fish come, fill it up with new water, add dechlor, drop in the already-seeded filters, and let the tank heat/aerate overnight just as you would if you were aging water for a water change. By the time the fish arrive the next day, your tank will be ready to go.

I never fill up tanks until the day before new fish come. As long as I have seeded sponges on hand, there's really no need to have fishless tanks full of water sitting around.

You can also leave your tank full of water as you have it now and just do a large (90%) water change the night before the fish come. Again, make sure you have cycled filters and add dechlor as you normally would. Any residual bleach left should have been taken care of by the Prime. As long as the tank doesn't smell like bleach then you should be okay.

Discusdude7
10-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Are you cycling the tank before your fish get here, or do you have cycled filters ready to go? When are you getting the fish?

My suggestion, if you're not cycling the filters in the tank, is to empty the whole thing and let it sit dry until the day before you get your fish. The day before your fish come, fill it up with new water, add dechlor, drop in the already-seeded filters, and let the tank heat/aerate overnight just as you would if you were aging water for a water change. By the time the fish arrive the next day, your tank will be ready to go.

I never fill up tanks until the day before new fish come. As long as I have seeded sponges on hand, there's really no need to have fishless tanks full of water sitting around.

You can also leave your tank full of water as you have it now and just do a large (90%) water change the night before the fish come. Again, make sure you have cycled filters and add dechlor as you normally would. Any residual bleach left should have been taken care of by the Prime. As long as the tank doesn't smell like bleach then you should be okay.

Seeded sponge from Kenny...I think they will be here this Friday. Thanks Ryan. :)

Discusdude7
10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
I bleached tank. Drained It. Refilled and dosed safe at 8 times the dose TWICE. Then empty and dried. Is it ready for fish or did I forget something?

Ryan
10-23-2013, 09:09 PM
It's ready. Fill it the night before you get them, add your heater and an airstone to get the water aged, then when the fish arrive dose the tank with a normal dosage of Prime and add the seeded sponge from Kenny.

Discusdude7
10-23-2013, 09:15 PM
It's ready. Fill it the night before you get them, add your heater and an airstone to get the water aged, then when the fish arrive dose the tank with a normal dosage of Prime and add the seeded sponge from Kenny.

Thank you very much

Discusdude7
10-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Ryan, can I just fill it up with aged water from the start? Reason I ask is because I don't have any more airstones, just an air pump and tubing for the sponge. Thanks

Ryan
10-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Sure. You also don't need an airstone; just the airline hooked to the pump would work. The idea is to get some water movement and break the surface tension so the water off-gasses faster. You don't need a airstone to accomplish that.

Discusdude7
10-24-2013, 08:48 PM

How did I do?

Second Hand Pat
10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
It looks good except for one thing. It is on the floor.

Discusdude7
10-24-2013, 08:52 PM
It looks good except for one thing. It is on the floor.

Is that bad?
Why?

Ryan
10-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Discus don't like to be near the ground. Waist-high or above would be better. On the floor they will be nervous and jumpy. Shadows over the tank will send them into panic mode.

Discusdude7
10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Discus don't like to be near the ground. Waist-high or above would be better. On the floor they will be nervous and jumpy. Shadows over the tank will send them into panic mode.

Shoot, I don't have another place :(
The tank is a very low traffic area. Will it be fine ?

Ryan
10-24-2013, 09:29 PM
They will probably be jumpy all through quarantine. Do you have a higher tank to move them to once QT is over?

Discusdude7
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
They will probably be jumpy all through quarantine. Do you have a higher tank to move them to once QT is over?

Yes

rl1360
04-13-2015, 01:53 AM
I have driftwood in my tank. If I leave the driftwood in during the bleaching will it be good to use after this process is complete?
Thanks...

Second Hand Pat
04-13-2015, 08:33 AM
I have heard of people boiling driftwood but not bleaching it. I would be concerned about the water adsorbing the bleach and maybe releasing the bleach later so not worth the risk to me.
Pat

rl1360
04-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks Pat. That is what I thought but wanted to see what others had to say. Also I have 8 German Blue Rams is the tank. Is there anyway to make them safe to put in with new Discus after the tank is sterilized and cycled?

Second Hand Pat
04-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks Pat. That is what I thought but wanted to see what others had to say. Also I have 8 German Blue Rams is the tank. Is there anyway to make them safe to put in with new Discus after the tank is sterilized and cycled?

First make sure all your fish have been quarantined separately for at least six weeks and are feeding and doing very well. To ensure the rams are safe add your least favorite discus to the tank the rams are in. This is called the hero fish. If the one discus is doing well after two weeks it is safe to add the discus and rams together.

DISCUS STU
04-13-2015, 11:11 AM
I've mostly used bleach.

Playing devil's advocate. Does a bone dry tank need to be sterilized and can the various pathogens, parasites, and bacteria survive being in a dry environment without any H2O? Would you need to sterilize the old tank that you took out of the attic?

Second Hand Pat
04-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Stu, I am pretty sure I have read that the eggs of some pathogens can survive long dry periods. It seems pretty basic insurance to good ahead and sterilize to ensure a happy experience with your fish. :)
Pat