PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using the Python Aquarium Maintenance System to aid water changes?

Greg Adamson
10-17-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm new to Discus and I have learned that my newly arrived Discus prefer tap water to RO water so I wanted to get some feedback to see if there are very many people using the Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System instead of a bunch of Home Depot 5 gallon buckets filled up the night before and then the traditional siphon to clear out the debris on the bottom of the tank. The concern is that the tap water goes directly into the tank without prior Declorinator which could be very toxic to 3" growing Discus and I don't want to do something completely stupid and kill my little clan of discus before they have a chance to grow up. (Also, my apologies as I would assume this question has come up before since this product is available on Amazon.com and it has probably been reviewed before.) If people have been using this device with success for a sustained period with no losses in fish I'd like to know about it. My breeder suggested that if I decided to use this system I put in the Declorinator directly into the aquarium immediately before I refill with tap water, not after. I won't use this device if it will pose a serious risk to the fish. Feedback is appreciated.

Tony C
10-17-2013, 07:49 PM
The quality of your tap water will play a major role in your decision. How does your water react to aging? If you see a significant pH shift then you are probably better off not using the python to refill, but if it is stable then you are probably ok. Is your water treated with chlorine or chloramine, and how much? Back in OR I used water straight from the tap and dechlorinated after filling, but here in SC the water is poor quality and I use remineralized RO exclusively.

sdrexler078
10-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I use one and just add prime for the full amount of tank and then turn the water on. Never had any problems but my pH doesn't fluctuate. If I did I would age water first.

Bill63SG
10-18-2013, 06:19 AM
I use a bunch of them,and like the above,add you dechlor to the tank before,enough for the whole volume.ive had monor ph swings,which didnt affect my adults,but did my fry,so I age water for fish 3 weeks and under.

Elliots
10-18-2013, 08:54 AM
It works well with dechlorinator but make sure AT EVERY CHANGE you check the pH of your tap water and your tank. I live in an old building in NYC and my tap pH varies greatly but not much from one day to another. Over a year I think it varies by .6 or maybe .8 pH. Although I have a 150 gal. tank my pH is always falling (It varies from 6.6 to 6.0 but I am not sure 6.0 is a true reading because that is the lowest my test kit goes, it could be under 6.0) so I add less that 1/2 teaspoon Seachem Alkaline buffer every day I do not change water. I do not go by the instructions on this Seachem to add many teaspoons to raise and buffer the pH to an alkaline reading. I think if I did add the suggest amount of buffer my fish would die from pH shock. I mix hot and cold water to get within 2 degrees and I check the tap water temp every 3-5 minutes to make sure it is constant. I have read on SD that it is possible to add only cold water to your tank as it will be heated. I will not try that even though there can be more stuff dissloved it hot tap water like metals.

blueluv
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm new to Discus and I have learned that my newly arrived Discus prefer tap water to RO water so I wanted to get some feedback to see if there are very many people using the Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System instead of a bunch of Home Depot 5 gallon buckets filled up the night before and then the traditional siphon to clear out the debris on the bottom of the tank. The concern is that the tap water goes directly into the tank without prior Declorinator which could be very toxic to 3" growing Discus and I don't want to do something completely stupid and kill my little clan of discus before they have a chance to grow up. (Also, my apologies as I would assume this question has come up before since this product is available on Amazon.com and it has probably been reviewed before.) If people have been using this device with success for a sustained period with no losses in fish I'd like to know about it. My breeder suggested that if I decided to use this system I put in the Declorinator directly into the aquarium immediately before I refill with tap water, not after. I won't use this device if it will pose a serious risk to the fish. Feedback is appreciated.

First off, check your water parameters coming out of tap and then determine if you can add straight from tap(don't forget your prime) if you get a significant ph swing, then you have to age your water for 24 hrs.

I don't use a python siphon. I use a 1" ID vinyl tube to drain my tank. I have 2 ageing barrels , each with a water pump and vinyl tubing to refill my tank. I do this because I have to age my water.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Greg Adamson
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
The quality of your tap water will play a major role in your decision. How does your water react to aging? If you see a significant pH shift then you are probably better off not using the python to refill, but if it is stable then you are probably ok. Is your water treated with chlorine or chloramine, and how much? Back in OR I used water straight from the tap and dechlorinated after filling, but here in SC the water is poor quality and I use remineralized RO exclusively.

We have poor water quality with 470ppm tds in Fullerton, CA. Very hard water. I have decided to return to Amazon the Python Maintenance System. Instead, I've decided to get a large 45 Gal. Hefty Rubber Trash Can from Home Depot with the wheel/dolly and to age my tap water for 1 day with 2 air blubbers to vent off the chlorine. I'm going to attach a Eheim 250watt submersible heater on a piece of closet doweling so that overnight the water temperature in the tank is raised to 86 degrees. I've purchased a 1/4hp Submersible Utility Pump that will pump 30 gallons per minute to put in the bottom of the big trash can with the aged and heated water. I'm going to add a cap full of Prime with the water change. In this manner I should be able to successfully drain out about 85% of the water and then refill it in a 3-4 minute period. I expect a much better outcome than the simplistic Python system due to the poor water quality in this area. Thanks to all for their valuable contribution and input.