PDA

View Full Version : I need your experienced opinions of this fish!!!!!.

krislewis3
10-19-2013, 09:23 AM
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/krislewis3/

What do you think of this little guy? He is about 3inches, and the claim is that it is a young fish, perhaps 2 or 3 months old. Does this ring true to opinion of him/her......the next post has a better photo.......thanks guys

krislewis3
10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/krislewis3/798ef323-0a2e-47d2-94f3-11dd52f3831a.jpg

Can you give me an opinion on this 3 in. fish?? I'm told that it is a young (2 to 3 months old) does this ring true to you guys?

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2013, 09:27 AM
This is the fish?

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/krislewis3/image.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/krislewis3/media/image.jpg.html)
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/krislewis3/image-1.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/krislewis3/media/image-1.jpg.html)

Allwin
10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Fish looks healthy, decent size for its age,eye ratio.. little bend on its mouth, position of the picture is not good enough to justify whether it is deformed or not IMO. Overall, i like this fish..

William Palumbo
10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
IMO,the head region is not shaped well at all...Bill

pastry
10-19-2013, 11:56 AM
IMO,the head region is not shaped well at all...Bill

+1 what Bill said. I've had a few that started off with pinched heads and it got a little better as they grew but doesn't disappear. Now besides the pinched head, the rest looks nice & round plus looks like it'll have some really nice color/pattern development down the road. Also agree with Allwin on the eye ratio.

discuspaul
10-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Despite the imperfections in the facial area, it should develop into a nice discus.

krislewis3
10-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Let me tell you the story on this one. I was in my local pet-co, buying filter media, when I noticed that they now have discus for sale (low quality discus), but I was attracted to this little guy, so...I bought him. I was so taken with his coloring, that I missed the deformity on his head.
I'm just a little shocked that they are selling these discus, from their community tanks, to people that think they are cool...but know NOTHING about discus. I just know that they take them home and add them to there community tanks as well, because when I pointed out some very general info about keeping discus to the store clerk, it was obvious that they didn't have a clue! I'm more than a little upset about the whole thing.....

DonMD
10-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, there's another way to think about this, too. Suppose one of those buyers has kept fish for many years, but never discus. Takes the fish home, and goes through what you're imagining ~ the discus gets infected, or is too stressed, and dies. The buyer then begins to study up on discus, and learns proper discus husbandry. He sets up a discus tank, starting at 50 gallons, then upgrades to 90, then to 125, and then, OMG, he's got tanks all over and is breeding and selling discus! Could be his name is Don and he lives in Virginia LOL! But if the LFS never sold discus, he'd never even be on Simply!

Just another way to think about it. -Don, in Virginia!

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Don, you crack me up. So those poor little LFS discus do have a higher calling.

krislewis3
10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, there's another way to think about this, too. Suppose one of those buyers has kept fish for many years, but never discus. Takes the fish home, and goes through what you're imagining ~ the discus gets infected, or is too stressed, and dies. The buyer then begins to study up on discus, and learns proper discus husbandry. He sets up a discus tank, starting at 50 gallons, then upgrades to 90, then to 125, and then, OMG, he's got tanks all over and is breeding and selling discus! Could be his name is Don and he lives in Virginia LOL! But if the LFS never sold discus, he'd never even be on Simply

Just another way to think about it. -Don, in Virginia!

I love it.....what a positive outlook!!!! Can you help me with some REAL problems?????? Lol

a volar
10-19-2013, 03:30 PM
That’s a lot of color and pattern for a 2 or 3 months old discus, I'm sure is a lot older that that.

krislewis3
10-20-2013, 06:15 AM
That’s a lot of color and pattern for a 2 or 3 months old discus, I'm sure is a lot older that that.

Yea.....I wondered about that too, I asked the clerk if he thought the fish had been receiving hormones, but it was obvious that he didn't know what I was talking about!!!
Let me ask you this...if the fish was receiving hormones to bring out color, would the color fade, now that it's NOT getting the hormones??? If so, how long would it take to fade?

krislewis3
10-20-2013, 06:20 AM

I also questioned the clerk about the age of the fish, and he said that they purchased the fish as a young (baby) fish, however, it's been my experience that they sell them by size, not age...sooooo, I guess time will tell!!
One thing about pet-co though, their customer service is great in Richmond, and have been known to refund me after several months. If this fish doesn't grow, they will be hearing back from me!!! I will keep you guys posted........

Chad Adams
10-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Definitely not 2-3 months old. Too much coloration and pattern for that age.
Indent on forehead is bad and eye is slightly large.
I, however do like the pattern on the fish. Hormones doubtful based on your story.

Don-Nice Story. Lol.

Chad

rdiscus
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Definitely not 2-3 months old. Too much coloration and pattern for that age.
Chad

+1

krislewis3
10-21-2013, 01:03 PM
What is your guess on the age of this fish.....it is very small...probably 2.5"
Could it be full grown at its current size? I have 20 days left during which I can return it, which I will base on your experienced guesses'

Madaboutdiscus
10-21-2013, 01:18 PM

I dont know bout that. I have a blue turq snakeskin mix thats had color and pattern since it was a couple months old. Not full color or pattern mind you but plenty of it. Ive had this fish since it was dime size runt. Its now almost 5 inches at 5 months.

-Victoria

John_Nicholson
10-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I hope I am wring but I doubt that fish makes it past 4 inches and I am willing to bet money that it never touches 5. I hope I am wrong. If he makes it past 4 inches bu NADA next year I will buy your lunch.

-john

krislewis3
10-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I hope I am wring but I doubt that fish makes it past 4 inches and I am willing to bet money that it never touches 5. I hope I am wrong. If he makes it past 4 inches bu NADA next year I will buy your lunch.

-john

Are you a betting man? If it reaches 4", are you willing to buy the fish????

rdiscus
10-21-2013, 05:05 PM
He will buy your lunch not your fish :)

John_Nicholson
10-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Are you a betting man? If it reaches 4", are you willing to buy the fish????

Get it over 4 inches and I will buy your lunch at NADA. I got plenty of my own fish...LOL.

-john

blueluv
10-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Get it over 4 inches and I will buy your lunch at NADA. I got plenty of my own fish...LOL.

-john

I would take John up on that offer:D
Man! I wish I could go to the NADA .:(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Madaboutdiscus
10-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I would take John up on that offer:D
Man! I wish I could go to the NADA .:(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Me too. One of these days I will make it there.

-Victoria

OC Discus
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Is this your only discus in a community tank? I had one in a tank with rainbows. He would not have developed to his full size and potential, but he was relatively happy and healthy. He is now in a group of six and has grown considerably.

Yours probably wont get beyond 4-5 inches in a community tank, but he could be ok if you like him and he gets along with his tankmates.

Let me tell you the story on this one. I was in my local pet-co, buying filter media, when I noticed that they now have discus for sale (low quality discus), but I was attracted to this little guy, so...I bought him. I was so taken with his coloring, that I missed the deformity on his head.
I'm just a little shocked that they are selling these discus, from their community tanks, to people that think they are cool...but know NOTHING about discus. I just know that they take them home and add them to there community tanks as well, because when I pointed out some very general info about keeping discus to the store clerk, it was obvious that they didn't have a clue! I'm more than a little upset about the whole thing.....

krislewis3
10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Is this your only discus in a community tank? I had one in a tank with rainbows. He would not have developed to his full size and potential, but he was relatively happy and healthy. He is now in a group of six and has grown considerably.

Yours probably wont get beyond 4-5 inches in a community tank, but he could be ok if you like him and he gets along with his tankmates.

Heavens No, he is in my discus aquarium with five adult discus which are between 6.5 and 7.5 inches.

White Worm
10-21-2013, 10:18 PM
You brought home a discus from petco and dropped it in your discus aquarium with adults? Tell me it isn't so.

krislewis3
10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
No...I'm not that bad......he's in a hospital tank now, I was making a point that I bought him for my Discus tank, NOT my Community tank!! ( if I don't return him) he does seem healthy, and eats well too....too bad he probably won't grow!!!!!

dirtyplants
10-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Go ahead take him up on that bet! Raise this little sweetie up big and fat! He deserves to be proven wrong.:)

John_Nicholson
10-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Hey folks if you want to make it to NADA start planning now. It will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It always is. Don't put it off. You will just regret it if you do. Worse thing that could happen to me is I get to buy lunch for a successful discus keeper....nothing would make me happier.

-john

rdiscus
10-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Worse thing that could happen to me is I get to buy lunch for a successful discus keeper....nothing would make me happier.

-john

Can't wait to see your happy face John :)

OC Discus
10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
John,

Are you offering to buy lunch for everyone who comes? May be worth the drive to TX.

Hey folks if you want to make it to NADA start planning now. It will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It always is. Don't put it off. You will just regret it if you do. Worse thing that could happen to me is I get to buy lunch for a successful discus keeper....nothing would make me happier.

-john

John_Nicholson
10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Can't do that...wife would kill me, but we can all eat together and talk fish.

-john

Chad Adams
10-22-2013, 07:22 PM
I dont know bout that. I have a blue turq snakeskin mix thats had color and pattern since it was a couple months old. Not full color or pattern mind you but plenty of it. Ive had this fish since it was dime size runt. Its now almost 5 inches at 5 months.
-Victoria

Victoria,

There's always exceptions to the rule. Our assessment was based on the full pattern and the boldness of the pattern for that age group.
Also, a PB fish will not have a pattern as fast as most non PB including snake skins.

Chad

Madaboutdiscus
10-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Thats true you are right. The blies do seem to color and pattern up before any other colors. My reds which are the same age are just now turning a bright orange.

-Victoria

nc0gnet0
10-22-2013, 08:08 PM
John,

Lord knows I have had more than my share of *debates with you, does that mean I get lunch?

:)

-Rick

John_Nicholson
10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Rick after all of the wisdom that I have given you though the years you should buy my lunch.......

-john

nc0gnet0
10-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Wisdom........LMAO

John_Nicholson
10-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey you know that I have sent you some very revealing stuff though the years......

-john

krislewis3
10-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Go ahead take him up on that bet! Raise this little sweetie up big and fat! He deserves to be proven wrong.:)

I'm on it....nothing like a challenge!!!!!