PDA

View Full Version : Breeding questions

Tormentor
10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I all I have a 35 gallon I got for breeding, now it's been running for like two months almost and I put two sponge filters, echo designed for 20 gallons, and I got a discus cone since I keep on seeing my discus spanning but they would always end up eating their eggs. Now the ph is very high, last time I check it was 7.6 and it also has some tiny ammonia into it, I painted white and all asides except the front, now what should I before I moved a pair into that tank?

White Worm
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
What has the 35 gallon tank been running with for 2 months?

Tormentor
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
What has the 35 gallon tank been running with for 2 months?
Two sponge filters and a betta, I just added three Siamese algea eaters, and a 200 watt heater

White Worm
10-20-2013, 10:55 AM
I would not use any fish to start a breeding tank. Fill it with clean water, transfer a sponge filter (seeded media) that has been in the tank with your possible breeders, add heater, air pump, cone and you are ready. If I was planning to set up a breeder tank, I would run an additional sponge filter for a couple months in my show tank for transfer. The established filter would be instantly ready to handle 2 adults in a breeder with daily or every other day water changes. You want a very clean environment for fry.

Tormentor
10-20-2013, 01:55 PM
I would not use any fish to start a breeding tank. Fill it with clean water, transfer a sponge filter (seeded media) that has been in the tank with your possible breeders, add heater, air pump, cone and you are ready. If I was planning to set up a breeder tank, I would run an additional sponge filter for a couple months in my show tank for transfer. The established filter would be instantly ready to handle 2 adults in a breeder with daily or every other day water changes. You want a very clean environment for fry.
Thank you mike, that would be problem since my two sponge filters starter running in my tank whe I set it up and I guess I would probably have to wait a bit longer since the bacteria hasn't colonize the sponges yet. Thanks though